The Smiler

th13teen

I think if I went to a theme park and were presented with portaloos I would never return again. Even if there are permanent ones 5 minutes away.

Good job you (presumably) never went to Europa-Park in 2009, then. For the first season of the Iceland area (and Blue Fire) there were some slightly posh portaloos (with bunches of flowers in them) where the now Gazprom Hall is.

It was simply due to the fact there were no other toilets within 150metres or so. There are now 3 sets of permanent toilets in Iceland.

I've been in plenty of portaloos which were of a higher standard than Altons permanent ones, none of which seem to have been updated since about 1994. When I saw the mess of supports designed to build SW7 around the old block I did think it bizarre, just knock them down and build something modern if they are in the way. Would seem more than worthwhile to spend thousands updating the park infrastructure around a ride you are spending millions on.

I'm glad they've admitted quite early on that it is not opening for the start of the season, should stop it ending with a rush job and visitors know where they stand to make plans. I love the thought of soft openings happening, seems to me like a much more sensible way of introducing a new attraction rather than advertising a full opening off the back of testing only and then pissing many people off when inevitably things aren't quite right (or are very wrong (hello NST!)), and could also give some real excitement around the place. They need to be explicit in their advertising that this is what is happening though, the public are so used to new things opening with the parks season I can see a lot of people being pissed off unnecessarily if they just see the smiler everywhere and don't strongly attach a date to it. If this goes well I hope it is something they consider as standard across Merlin for all new major attractions.

The name still sucks though!

Edited by pluk
I've moved the general toilet conversation to general discussion, as it had wandered off from SW7 specific stuff. Discuss all things poo there, lets continue with The Smiler here...

As we've been told it's a May opening I've decided to go late May or early June - later than I usually do. But then I'm unexpectedly probably going in July too for the first time ever, and probably again in September or October.

The Smiler though, what a name - still struggling to accept it even though I understand the park's logic. :blink:

Is it me or does anyone compare this to Colossus? It's got so many elements and is buried deep into that pit!

I have been up at Alton Towers for the Caribbean Beach Party Weekend at Splash Landings.

I took a walk down to Sharkbait Reef today (as it was open) - the amount of track in the minibus car park is staggering. There is more than there was in November. And this isn't including what's already up, what's already been moved to the site, nor were any lift hills in sight. Amazing, really - how much track there is to this ride.

I also took a wander down to the Chained Oak, and from the lodge cottage at the entrance to the farm, you can get a reasonable view of the Staffordshire Knot element of The Smiler quite well. It's awesome seeing it 'for real' through the trees!

:D