The Smiler

th13teen

Why is it actually taking so long?

It is because of weather conditions?

(I don't live in or near Staffordshire so I wouldn't know.)

Apparently they had terrible issues with landslides due to extreme rainfall. That was ages ago though, so I'm not sure why there's yet another delay.

TTF have posted an article with regards to The Smiler's merchandise - http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/news/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1360264498&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1,10,11

So, the shop will only have Smiler merchandise, nothing else, and there's 82 different products!?

Looks like my wallet will end up being very light after my trip(s) to AT this season... :blush:

X Sector was never confirmed to be open for half term (because March or May opening, it still would have been a construction/testing site)...

I have a feeling most of the merch might well be logo only with minimal name (at least I hope so, I at least want a magnet for work <3)

Biggest thing they've done looks to be the crazy amount of footers around that toilet block. I still thing it would have been easier to knock them down!

We always knew from when we saw the plans that the toilets would be somewhat overshadowed by the ride. As long as access is still there, that's all that matters.

If they had relocated them, I don't know where they would have put them, especially as it's so close to the Towers themselves and building restrictions could be there as it's listed.

Something has occured to me though. The Smiler is meant to make you leave the ride smiling. No doubt some will come out terrified and exit X Sector, only to use the toilets on their way out. Therefore, hearing the ride fly over as they use the facilities, and possibly thinking "Maybe I might try it again."

From Wikipedia:

According to the plans released, the ride will have two highpoints (with two lift hillsand/or launches). The plans confirm there to be eight inversions in the outdoor section which include a unique intertwined cobra roll and batwing, a sea serpent rolland two diving loops. The ride also includes a dark ride section which features a barrel roll. Other from this inversion, the rest of the dark ride layout is unknown.

I did a search for the batwing element. Wicked. ;)

It's actually nothing like the Staffordshire knot really, since the ends do not cross each other on The Smiler, as well as it being upside down and having a cobra roll in the middle of it. However, it is a nice idea to link the ride with the local heritage so I will continue to call it the Staffordshire Knot.

Well, what have you said here that we don't already know! Where have you been since they released the plans? It's called a Staffordshire Knot

The element isn't actually called that as far as we know. I believe the nickname for it came up on TST a few months ago. I hope AT don't start publicising that element as 'the Staffordshire knot', as it goes against the theme of the ride (well, what we know of it) and just doesn't seem worthwhile. Enthusiast nickname, seems okay, but not as an official thing or anything.

But hey, let's knot get tied up in names of elements?

Latest Twitter picture from the Towers.

BCv-b3pCAAAVjiQ.jpg

Coming soon for your mobile or tablet #TheSmilerGame - will the secrets of the ride finally be revealed? #TheSmiler

Looks like the game could reveal all about the ride and that the concrete walls will be remaining as concrete with some paint on. I presume this is the beginning of the second lift with 'half way converted' on the right hand wall.

They look like stand up trains although that might be my eyes playing trick on me, I'm excited for the game but confuzzelled by the picture

The concept art didn't make it look like stand-up trains, however the concept art did show that it would be Floorless! So I think we are seeing a Floorless-eurofighter :)