Disabled Queuing Rules

JoshC.

Question

Whilst no actual leaflet with all this year's info has been produced, it seems new rulings are on the website:http://www.thorpepark.com/plan-your-visit/disabled-guide.aspxNear the bottom, where it's got 'Helpers / Companions', we've got this:"Only one helper per disabled guest can use the access pass on any of our THORPE PARK rides and attractions."The entire section seems to be written as if there can only be 1 helper on a ride as well. Under Ride Access higher up, it says something about for safety reasons about the number of disabled guests, blah blah blah, you may have to divide into smaller groups - which is impossible if there's only 2 people, which could mean that there's a mistake made somewhere. Personally though, if they are limiting it to one helper per disabled guest, I think it's pretty stupid!So yeah, d'you think it is being limited to 1 person per disabled guest, or not?

"ALL U DISABLED POSERS WANA GET BK IN DA Q WER U BELONG N STOP RUININ IT FOR THE PPL THT REALLY SUFFER!!!"Oh wow

Exactly...oh wow!!Disabled posers?? Right....Just because someone doesn't have a physical disability like what you have, it doesn't mean they are not disabled. They could be mentally disabled. I have IBS which stands for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and I have not been to a theme park since August '09. I was diagonosed with IBS in August '10 and I know why I have been feeling the way I do.There are people, who have IBS bad and get diarrhea and I'm lucky I only have cramps and occasionally when I'm nervous have to go to the loo. But I can't go to theme parks because I am worried that I will be in a ride queue and will get cramps, that will make me want to leave the queue and go to the loo. I can't stop worrying or thinking, about will I be ok and it's making me paranoid and is driving me insane.That combined with Aspergers suffers (Mild Autism) who experience high levels of anxiety, depression and stress, makes it hard to go out and enjoy myself. I am going to Orlando next year and will enquire if I can get a disabled pass. The last time I went out with my friends was Dec '10 to a meet-up in London and at Waterloo station, I got pains in my stomach and didn't think I'd be able to manage London Dungeons, let alone 30 mins on the London Eye. I managed but what would happen if I need to go and I was on the London Eye or got stuck on a rollercoaster?? Well...you could hazard a guessMy long-winding point is that you don't have to be physically disabled to be disabled or to be entitled to a disabled pass or exclusion from the main queue and I think you should be more considerate.

Just because someone doesn't have a physical disability like what you have, it doesn't mean they are not disabled. They could be mentally disabled. I have IBS which stands for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and I have not been to a theme park since August '09. I was diagonosed with IBS in August '10 and I know why I have been feeling the way I do.There are people, who have IBS bad and get diarrhea and I'm lucky I only have cramps and occasionally when I'm nervous have to go to the loo. But I can't go to theme parks because I am worried that I will be in a ride queue and will get cramps, that will make me want to leave the queue and go to the loo. I can't stop worrying or thinking, about will I be ok and it's making me paranoid and is driving me insane.That combined with Aspergers suffers (Mild Autism) who experience high levels of anxiety, depression and stress, makes it hard to go out and enjoy myself. I am going to Orlando next year and will enquire if I can get a disabled pass.

I may not know a lot about IBS or what mental disabilities are, but IBS sounds more like a physical disability to me. You say you get worried / paranoid over it, but that's not because you have IBS - not the IBS causing it.

My long-winding point is that you don't have to be physically disabled to be disabled or to be entitled to a disabled pass or exclusion from the main queue and I think you should be more considerate.

I totally agree that you don't need to be physically disabled to be entitled to a disabled pass, but there's a point where you have to draw a line. I've seen it get to the point where people with mild ADHD have been able to get disabled passes. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I agree that people with mental disabilities should be able to have a disabled pass, but a firm line must be drawn...

Agree with Holly. Mental illness is far too misunderstood and I'm sick of people saying ADHD is not a disability. I have it, as well as Aspergers and they are both disabling. My Aspergers causes me to have obsessions and one of them is theme parks, so it kind of toned down my ADHD and I am able to queue and was when able to when I was a child. But some people have severe ADHD and it is very distressing. Plus, I can tell you now from experience that getting diagnosed with the NHS, which most will do unless they can afford to go private, is an extremely long and tiring process. So let's say a family has a severe ADHD child who is awaiting diagnosis, so obviously not on medication. What are they to do? Exactly. This is why the rules should be, as someone pointed out, not just proof of a condiion but a note clearly and professionally explaining why try cannot queue or understand the concept. My doc wouldn't have/wouldn't give me a letter now because they know I can cope. Therefore preventing people cheating the system.

OMG someone shoot her already!!I know someone with very bad ADHD and they can't sit still or keep quiet. If the weather is very hot and that combined with being in a queue where you cant move much will irritate or frustrate someone. Secondly, who are you to say whether someone deserves a disabled pass or not? The last time I checked, you weren't no bloody expert with qualifications. Disabled posers get back into the queue; LOl I just can't...get over that. Benin..I hope you have more popcorn for all of us :)

Just to add, a bit of info from my personal experiences with ADHD, and how it is disabling to everyday life...You wake up in the morning after a bad nights sleep, most likely to a messy room because you never get round to tidying it, because you constantly forget and get distracted and lack the motivation, and if you manage to start it, you impulsively move onto something else, and those impulses and distractions are near impossible to control. This makes you less motivated to get out of bed.Or if you want to get up, you get so distracted by your own thoughts whizzing around your head, and a LOT of thoughts at that, it's like 10 TV channels are on at once, or like a pinball machine. Before you know it, an hour or two has gone by! Or you've overslept, so the morning is a big rush, like getting ready in 10 minutes.Or, the process of getting ready takes a stupid amount of time because you cannot remember where you put things, you get distracted etc etc.You probably run out of time to eat or maybe even drink.You leave the house late because of your haywire morning and always nearly miss the bus or train, and your hair is a mess and you're wearing any old mismatched clothes because you were in such a rush getting ready, and possibly forgot AGAIN to do your washing so you are running our of clothes to wear.You forget to do chores you were asked to do or even forget to do thing you planned yourself. Etc etc...I hope people will have a clearer understanding now...although this is NOT a dig at any one person, just a personal description which I feel could be useful. Also bare in mind everyone is different, some experience it worse, some experience it milder.Now if you're thinking "Ok fine, I understand it now, but how does this relate to queueing?" Well...You are in a noisy, crowded environment, buzzing with excitement on top of an already sky high level of activity and impulsiveness. People with ADHD often have trouble regulating emotions due to this, and the way their brain chemicals are (lack of dopamine affecting executive functioning, inhibition etc), so just think how hard it is to control the frustration of queueing, with the excitement of the theme park, the boredom, etc etc...maybe even some nerves too. It's enough to just think about, let alone experience. And not only is the ADHD person suffering, their friends/family have to cope with them, as does the rest of the queueline! Plus most people with ADHD have a comorbid condition, such as an autistic spectrum disorder, learning disability, dyspraxia (which can, in some people, make it painful to stand for long periods of time), Oppositional Defiant Disorder (where they cannot understand aithority and rules), anxiety, social phobias/social anxiety disorders etc...:)

Bla bla bla the point is, the whole reason these places started letting disabled people jump the queue is because they can't physically queue. I understand IBS aswel as other illnesses with physical symptoms... But as for things like anxiety... I have really bad anxiety I have just got over a stage of not being able to leave my house, but honestly if I didn't have arthritis then I definitely wouldn't think I shouldn't have to queue because of it. Obviously there are going to be loads of exceptions but ADHD? Yer right!

I don't think you have a clue what you're on about.

There have been plenty of times I can count of when staff have not followed the rules of the card - probably more intentionally than unintentionally!One time on Stealth a couple of years back, on a half hour queue, our card didn't yet signed at all. We even said 'here's our card' and the woman there just said don't worry. I won't lie, we didn't say any more and just went on the ride - but if staff won't bother, it's not our problem.Though, to be fair, 2010 onwards, they've been quite firm, but fair, when filling it out.

Well I did respond to this, but its disappeared.It's next to the operators console, goes down the back of the volcano to a path leading out to the lockers. It used to have a lovely retro thorpe out of use sign - however I haven't been for a year, and they could well have updated this sign.I for one would complain about the seemingly not bothering to fix their lifts, it's silly really.

Seems to be loads of people using these passes now, I've seen people recently going on with about 5 people to one disabled person, not fair! I thought they were only allowed two per disabled person?

I know it is not a popular opinion on here, but I quite agree. These passes are abused and the rules seem to be applied inconsistently.

I don't actually know what the rules are or how the system is supposed to work as I am in the fortunate position of not needing to use it, but Thorpe should be as tight as possible with these things for the benefit of everyone.

I don't won't to sound harsh or anything but I mean you look at some of the people who have them and they just don't look like they need them (ok it might not be a visible disablity but it's just the way it seems!)

I'm pretty sure I've also seen people using them without the disabled person with them!

The other week which really annoyed me, I was queuing for Stealth and watching this kid having a fag right in front of his mum, she didn't care, he finished it off and then walked straight up the disabled queue with her and got on! There looked like absolutly nothing wrong with him! (But then again this is my view and I'm sure I'll get some abuse for stating it!)

I'm ok with them having 2 friends with them it's just it takes the mick to have 1 disabled person and then 10 friends all using the same pass?!

Yeah, I'd be careful with saying that as there are people on here (including myself) with invisible disabilities. I'm not having a go but just saying :)

I swear every year they change the rules but the system still gets abused! If guests are taking like 10 people with them/the group are going on without the disabled guest, well that is the staff's fault really. Rides staff need to be vigilant and enforce the rules when letting them on rides and GS need to explain the rules clearly, something disabled guests often complained didn't happen when I worked there. They'd come to the ride with the pass and wouldn't even know how it worked!

Of course, guests need to cooperate too, but as pluk said, Thorpe seem to be inconsistent, and Stokesyboy's post clearly shows this.

I don't actually know what the rules are or how the system is supposed to work as I am in the fortunate position of not needing to use it, but Thorpe should be as tight as possible with these things for the benefit of everyone.

Though not having any experiences of the rules this season, as far as I'm aware, the rules have not changed from last season, which are basically only 1 carer allowed per disabled person (and then the general timing rules and that also apply, which there's no need to go into..). From experiences last season, guests services do allow 2 carers IF the disabled person is unable to walk unaided (and hence there is a need for 2 carers, and the disabled person cannot go on a select few rides due to evacuation procedures) or if the party is a group of 3 (as they understand that leaving one person by themselves / to queue for rides is unreasonable on a person's day out, though this is seemingly not an official rule).

From what I understand, there is no reason for there to be more than 1 additional carer, on top of the necessary carer(s). So, for example, if a disabled person required 2 carers, and they were in a party of 4, they may be allowed 3 carers. However, there would be no situation when more than 3 carers to one disabled person would occur, and more often than not, there would only be 2 carers at maximum. So it is definitely the case that there is abuse of the passes. The old system was a bit more flexible on the allowed number of carers, and it varied from ride to ride (for example, Rumba allowed for 6-7 'carers', whereas some other rides only allowed 1 or 2), but I think the clearer rules in the newer system are better, as long as Thorpe use a bit of common sense with the number of carers (which they do).

At Chessie the maximum number of companions per disabled guest varies depending on the ride, but I think the lowest number is 3. It's useless, for example, only allowing 3 if there's a free seat then going and an extra person who wanted to ride with them. The reason it's 3 and not 1 is that most people go to theme parks with a couple of friends, not 1... It would be really mean to say they couldn't enjoy the park with more than 1 friend. More importantly, those who cannot walk require 2 helpers, I think? Not sure though.

I assume the rules are pretty much the same at all the parks? One thing a lot of people don't realise is they stil have to queue for the big rides, but it's virtual. They have cards where when they go on a ride, the staff add the queue time to the current time, and write that down. That's when they may next go on one of the major attractions. In the meantime, they can go on smaller things, sit down, etc. The pass is literally so they don't have to stand in a line, which some people cannot for various reasons.

That disabled pass at the Merlin parks is really very, very good. It cuts down the abuse quite a fair amount as the system is complicated enough to put some people who don't need it off. You will still always get the occasional person who abuses it, and who kicks up a fuss because they can't take 4 people with them on Vampire.

That pass is there to make the experience of a theme park possible for those requiring it, and because It would be unreasonable to judge people and tell them they aren't disabled enough, it also serves for those who don't need it but are still entitled to it as an enhancement to their... Well, lives.

That said, I actually think those who do not queue miss out on a huge part of the theme park experience. It's the same when the parks are dead.

I've never seen the pass be used at Thorpe other than on Inferno, when there's just a mass waiting at the exit.

I can only ever have one carer, at Thorpe, Chessie and Towers.

*Puts on the same broken record* The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that I can't enjoy a day out at any of these parks in a group of friends. It has to be just me and one other person, and being on disability it's not like I can afford multiple trips to these parks with a different friend each time. But apart from that the system works really well.

One question though, is the whole "You need a doctors note" thing really that good? I ask because, looking at mine I was thinking how easy it would actually be to fake one. How can the staff tell?

Apparently all Merlin theme parks use the same system now which has been CWoA's for the past few seasons. As others have explained, the policy exists for guests who are unable to queue due to a disability. It is very ignorant to suggest that someone isn't disabled if there isn't a visible, obvious impairment.

The operations system is in place on top of the entitlement process. They have to become registered with each park's Guest Services (though I believe the new system coming into play is that once you've registered with one park, you're into the Merlin-wide system so you don't have to waste time at another attraction) and all rules and guidelines are explained to them when they register. Someone with a broken arm or leg are likely not to be entitled as it is only temporary and also are unlikely to be able to experience many attractions due to ride restrictions on being able to brace yourself.

It's been explained by others, but the standard restriction is max 3 companions to one disabled guest, however, on some attractions such as Dragon Falls and Tomb Blaster, 4 companions are entitled to ride as the ride vehicle enables 5 people to ride in one car/boat.

The top 10 rides have a virtual queueing system (RAP rides). This means that the length of the queue is added onto the current time and that is the time they are entitled to return to any of the other top 10 RAP rides. When the parks are busy some guests can misinterpret the rules of the policy and on a small number of occasions the information they are provided is incorrect. On the whole though, the idea is to allow people who are not as fortunate as others to have the same experience.

EDIT:

Not really related to the rules, but I just wanted to post this video about Ben. Merlin's Magic Wand made this day out for him possible. A very touching video.

http://katapult-studios.com/our-work/merlins-magic-wand