I don't think anyone on here wants Chessie to fail; as pluk said, the reason people criticise the park is because they care and want what's best for it!

Going back to this point, I've come to realise that strangely there are some people who want the park to fail. It's not uncommon to see flippant remarks such as "best thing to happen to the park in decades" (in regards to the recent fire) and "just bulldoze the place and be done with it", etc...

Also when a fan base gets very top-heavy, thinking they know what's best for the park better than the park themselves, that is usually down to a lack of information and can often be just as counterproductive as all that negativity. Many people seem to forget that actually Chessington is a functioning company making money and not a bunch of idiots who have no control over anything.

There was never going to be a "Mexicana retheme" for example, and the wording on the website is just that - words. For all we know the Scorpion Express theme might be barely different from Runaway Train. I don't know enough about this project to make a big fuss about it, but I'm also not going in with high expectations. I also think the "£5 million refurb" was mostly just a promotional thing to explain why two of their oldest rides were closed, because now it's very hard to see where that money actually went.

Clearly there is something wrong because nothing truly successful has come from the park in years and Chessington's old charm has gone, but that shouldn't justify the constant hateful comments on the internet (again, this doesn't apply as much to Mania Hub). It seems Chessington are so restricted in what they can do (in terms of budget, marketing and planning) that they have lost the creative freedom that made the park in the late 80s/early90s. They need to get that back basically, and that's not impossible.

Was it ever actually confirmed Mexicana was gonna change? I honestly don't remember... I think we just assumed that Scorpian Valley was going to be Mexicana...

Sub-areas though... Why?

Yeah this confused me too, I always assumed Scorpion Valley was just a glorified name for the pocket of space the ride sits in. I never thought Mexicana was going to be affected on any scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Themepark guide have added more updates of the park's construction.

http://www.themeparkguide.biz/news-page/23rd-february-2014-end-of-february-half-term-at-chessington

The market square upgrade looks nicely done and certainly makes the area feel much bigger and also gives a slightly grander look too and has potential to become a brilliant centre point of the park. I hope that empty space will become home to a fountain.

Bubbleworks and Transylvania, looks ok, but I'm not sure if the roof colour is a bit too bright for what's supposed to be one of the gloomier areas of the park, whilst Bubbleworks looks very much the same.

Scorpion Express, looking slightly better than last seen, but still sticking to my previous opinion (see Scorpion Express topic).

Themepark guide have added more updates of the park's construction.

http://www.themeparkguide.biz/news-page/23rd-february-2014-end-of-february-half-term-at-chessington

The market square upgrade looks nicely done and certainly makes the area feel much bigger and also gives a slightly grander look too and has potential to become a brilliant centre point of the park. I hope that empty space will become home to a fountain.

Or a giant compass with the lands on would be cool. :ph34r:

The hole in Market Square is circular and with all this talk of it being a centrepiece I was thinking something like the Universal globe that is outside each of their parks. The Chessington logo would work well for this with it being a globe, it could include a fountain effect like the Hollywood Universal globe kinda does and it would certainly be a centrepiece! Hardly anyone goes to Universal without getting their picture taken in front of the spinning globe. So that's my guess :P

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...