Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking so far out the box it could be Assassins creed because the latest game to be released later this year is based in Victorian London. 

That perfume bottle is called an atomizer  

Edited by J.S217

I know we've got the vibe its gonna be victorian, and with the "white chapel" thing as well, makes it seem a bit like jack the ripper. I dont know though if doctor who has been kinda swept under the carpet, but does he not have friends in the victorian era? Madame Vastra, Strax, etc. The perfume bottle would fit quite well with Vastra, plus he did go looking for jack the ripper in the last season. Turned out to be clockwork droids, but none the less that all worked.

Also with the WC16, could it not stand for Worlds Collide 2016?

Maleficent didn't have a perfume bottle did she? I googled it and nothing like that image came up. Anyway, I highly doubt Disney will give the rights for their IP to Thorpe.

I can't remember which on of the three that it is, Maleficent was just the first name that popped into my head.

Wouldn't think Disney would let an IP go either but never say never as a good friend of mine always says.

I'm not a doctor who fan, never really gotten in to the show but I still think it could make a very good dark ride in the style of Escape from Gringott's, Spiderman and Transformers etc.

Dr Who is an international brand in many respects so worthy of the investment to draw people in at least nationwide and if they have aspirations of being a true resort may add some international appeal for visitors already coming in to London.

To me, as a non watcher of the show, the background to 'a dark secret is coming' reminded me of the old title sequence

Also, when you think about the equivalent rides in the US (yes I know I am being hopeful of such a ride system here) they had the backing of the relevant movie studio to do the story, filming, script, audio etc and to get the actors on board.

According to wikipedia Dr Who started filming it's new series in Jan 2015, therefore the crew, actors and sets will all be available at the time a new 'story' would need to be filmed to be incorporated into the ride - therefore Merlin can utilise (pay for) the expertise of the existing BBC crew and effects teams to produce those elements of the ride.

Also according to wikipedia 'In April 2015, Steven Moffat confirmed that Doctor Who would run for at least another five years, extending the show until 2020' So it is reasonable to suggest that the IP would have at least 4 years to run in its modern iteration once the ride is built. The BBC would also stand to gain from the publicity of a ride.

I'm not really sure the theming really gives us any clues, love the idea of walking dead as someone else suggested and cant see any reason why it wouldn't be - especially when a spinoff series is being developed so at least another few years to run there. Or it could well be an independent project perhaps carrying on the 'swarm' invasion.

Personally I think it makes absolute sense for Merlin to collaborate with an organisation such as the BBC as they are likely to get better quality production from a lower cost outlay due to the existing expertise.

They do of course have a history with Lionsgate, as others have mentioned, but getting the cast from Hunger Games involved, for example, would be no easy feat.

Just my thoughts

Still holding out for Dr Who, it just feels so right.

If it is generic Jack the Ripper that could be a pretty smart move; it comes with a known 'backstory' to build on, is marketable to an extent and importantly is free to use so the money can be pumped into the experience rather than rights buying. It's all a bit dark though, murder and prostitution based attraction doesn't scream family fun, does it?

Still holding out for Dr Who, it just feels so right.

If it is generic Jack the Ripper that could be a pretty smart move; it comes with a known 'backstory' to build on, is marketable to an extent and importantly is free to use so the money can be pumped into the experience rather than rights buying. It's all a bit dark though, murder and prostitution based attraction doesn't scream family fun, does it?

London Dungeons is a family-friendly attraction and SAW isn't family fun either.

Do you think we are close to a reveal then?

I doubt we'll get a reveal for a long time yet.  Thorpe will want to try and keep as much mystery as possible, and keep the reveal as late as possible.  I reckon the earliest we'd see a reveal about name/possible IP would be Fright Nights, but wouldn't be surprised if it's later than that.

Thorpe's marketing department must be loving life right now though.  The only things they've done are stick two different worded signs around the site and posted a picture of a perfume bottle on Twitter, and yet there's pages and pages of speculation, discussion and excitement across all the forums.  They certainly know how to push geeks buttons...

Are all the plans actually approved for this yet by the way? They surely want to begin construction work sooner rather than later after what happened with the Smiler. I wonder how they'll do it...its been a long time since they've built a ride without its own service entrance for construction, or one that sits along the perimeter of the park. This is slap bang in the middle of everything. It's gonna be a fun construction to watch,depending on where Merlin decide to dump all their materials this time. 

Are all the plans actually approved for this yet by the way? They surely want to begin construction work sooner rather than later after what happened with the Smiler. I wonder how they'll do it...its been a long time since they've built a ride without its own service entrance for construction, or one that sits along the perimeter of the park. This is slap bang in the middle of everything. It's gonna be a fun construction to watch,depending on where Merlin decide to dump all their materials this time. 

Yes, According to the planning website they've been approved with conditions... 

It may seem like a strange idea, but could this ride possibly be a continuation to the Vengeance story which used to be at the London Dungeons? I looked up WC in regards to the postcode in London, and it is nearby 50 Berkley Street which is where Vengeance took place. With the ghost like glow behind the words and now the Victorian style environment being brought up, maybe it could be related if not the same story line to the London Dungeons attraction.