Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't HAVE surprised me.

I think the silly OTT marketing was all down to that woman who has now moved on (and I don't mean Candy Holland)

Good riddance.

Say what you like about Morwenna's marketing tactics, but you can't seriously be happy that she's gone? The general quality of Alton Towers has definitely slipped since she left.

Shuffling back to the topic of the dark ride now...

Whatever the outcome is, I just hope the ride has a decent story to it! I mean look at how Universal created buildup in the queue for Spiderman and The Simpsons Ride with multiple preshow elements!

For instance, Spiderman has 3 sections in the queue, displaying on the screens an introduction to The Daily Bugle, then "live" news footage from Manhattan and finally J. Jonah Jameson briefing you on the experience thats to come...at the same time as being constantly interrupted by the Sinister Syndicate. All of this builds up to the ride itself, throwing the riders right into the action as a result! If Thorpe can do just this, then I'd for one be the happiest man alive! :)

Alton's recent campaigns are stupid. There new advert doesn't even feature a ride. Its so focused on the new accommodation they have forgotten they are a theme park.

Well they have no new rides this year, so why try and push old rides when you only have a few seconds to push your new investment? Besides I think the British public know what Alton Towers is by now.

Oh and there's two roller coasters at the end of the advert, so they've hardly "forgotten" have they...

Alton's recent campaigns are stupid. There new advert doesn't even feature a ride. Its so focused on the new accommodation they have forgotten they are a theme park.

It's almost as if they're advertising the new accommodation solely because they want people to know it's new...

Towers over more recent years (post Morwenna) have tended to go for multiple adverts based upon the new additions, look at when they opened Sub Terra and Ice Age, two completely different ads for two completely different products... Tis a good avenue to go for...

Towers also actually has a resort side to advertise... Thorpe releasing a dedicated advert for their hotel would be pointless, as there's very little to advertise...

Or we could go back to having adverts like Rita's if you'd prefer?

...but as long as there's a preshow section inside the building before embarking on the ride, we should be all good for a storyline. Tbh though all the merlin rides that had pre-shows either the pre-show was rubbish (Laser Raiders) or it got discontinued (ZUFARI) and I think this shows that pre-shows in merlin parks are terrible. They do not improve the ride. They become boring for repeat riders as they are always the same script every time.I would rather Thorpe built an excellent ride than concentrate on a pre-show that will either be terrible or become part of the que line like ZUFARI's has.

I would rather Thorpe built an excellent ride than concentrate on a pre-show that will either be terrible or become part of the que line like ZUFARI's has.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is another example. I think the voice acting for Willy Wonka is just pure genius...but unfortunately, even I can get bored of it very quickly just by queueing for a few minutes! :P

I still dont understand why Thorpe want to build a Dark ride

They have X

Because X is not a dark ride!  

X is a roller coaster inside a building.  

A dark ride is a ride which usually isn't a roller coaster, and focus more on telling a story and theming, rather than a thrill.  For rides in the UK, see examples like Hex, Nemesis Sub Terra, Duel, Tomb Blaster, etc.

And even if you did count X as a dark ride, what's wrong with having another indoor attraction?  Having another indoor ride makes sense, as it's a ride which can open whatever the weather, will likely attract all the family, and is something different.  What's wrong with that!

The building will hold the ride itself - which is said to be a unique experience - and is believed to hold a pre show, ride shop, bag drop off and ORP pick up point. 

If it's going to include baggage hold AND an ORP, then this is probably going to be one HELL of a unique ride experience! :D

(I do apologise if I'm just sending this thread right back to the discussion about baggage hold and taking bags onto the ride)

If it's going to include baggage hold AND an ORP, then this is probably going to be one HELL of a unique ride experience! :D

X has a baggage hold and used to have an ORP, and it certainly isn't a 'HELL' of an experience

Also can we not go back to the 'X IS a dark ride' 'No it ISN'T' debate (Because it's a roller coaster inside, not a dark ride...)

Conclusion- X is an indoor ride (though it's lights snd effect could deem it a dark ride as after all rides like Eurosat, Temple Of The Night Hawk & Rock N Roller Coaster are likely considered dark tides (not Thats it's the same scale in anyway).

BACK ON TOPIC!

Very happy this ride's been approved and look forward to seeing how the building and area progresses during this upcoming season. Let's hope Merlin can prove us all wrong they can't deliver amazing attractions (bar Swarm), even if it is IP based (and uses yet another run down/abandond theme).

Except French RnR is just a larger X setup and the Floridian one has UV cutouts. Apart from the kiddie coasters it's basically the least inspired of all the Disney coasters.

Aside from that it has unique light/sound setups for each train that actually work in sync rather than constantly...

And it's more inspired than Primeval Whirl...