Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

^I can't think of non-IP Western Disney dark ride since Superstar Limo. That ride may be why. I guess you could count Soarin'? In the East there has been Mystic Manor and DisneySEA Tower. Journey to the Centre of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues aren't standard IPs as well. 

Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World, Dinosaur (previously Countdown to Extinction), Alien ExtraTERRORestial (before Stitch) are all dark rides that were not based on IPs when they opened.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I can't think of non-IP Western Disney dark ride since Superstar Limo. That ride may be why. I guess you could count Soarin'? In the East there has been Mystic Manor and DisneySEA Tower. Journey to the Centre of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues aren't standard IPs as well. 

Anyway, none of those rides you listed are free from IPs now  ;)

You can't say that they've gone out of their way to install a bag room when you have absolutely no idea what kind of a ride this will be except that it will take place indoors, the fact is they may need a bag drop because of one of the ride elements. Regardless of whether it needs one or not you can't just assume that they've put it in for no reason. Surely they themselves would be reluctant to allocate more staff to doing a job like this unless it was necessary to do so considering that if they didn't need a bag drop they could certainly use more staff in other areas.

Either way, it's far too early and too little is known to make assumptions at this point regarding many aspects of the ride, just need to wait and see with this one and seeing as it's a dark ride it's probably going to be a long wait......

I can take my bag on Rock N Rollercoaster, California Screamin;, Dinosaur, Indianna Jones, All Tower of Terrors, Space Mountain Mission 2 and yet I need to pass my bag and loose belongings to a person at Thirteen. 

Fair enough XD I haven't been to any parks outside of the UK ones so I wouldn't have known that though I have to say I would prefer to leave my bags somewhere over having to take them with me on some of those rides!

My point still stands though, we have no idea what this ride will be so we can't assume that something will be useless to it.

Fair enough XD I haven't been to any parks outside of the UK ones so I wouldn't have known that though I have to say I would prefer to leave my bags somewhere over having to take them with me on some of those rides!

My point still stands though, we have no idea what this ride will be so we can't assume that something will be useless to it.

Rock N Roller Coaster inverts several times, I'm sure anything in this project will not subject us to that :P

The majority of the big rides mentioned that allow you to take bags on do provide storage areas in the ride vehicles, generally elasticated nets in front of you. Rides like Thirteen don't have any space to include a storage net so a bag drop is a better option in my opinion. It would be a similar case for a small scale dark ride, using the Oceaneering ride vehicles being used in the Six Flags Justice League rides, that were posted about previously as an example they will provide a wide range of movements, which could include spinning, but aren't big enough to include storage nets, so bags would have to be stored elsewhere.

It's also worth considering that a lot of parks simply don't allow you to enter the queue with any bags (Universal is a prime example of this), and insist that you store any loose articles in a locker before joining the queue, and some parks charge for this, so a bag drop is a fairly good alternative.

Actually, there is nowhere but the floor to put your bags on Tower of Terror, Space Mountain and Rock n Roller Coaster...

Hell, can even take your bags on Winjas and Crush's Coaster...

This having a bag drop points to it having a bit of Sub Terra about it, needing to get people in and out of the experience quickly and efficiently...

Inferno xd

Anyway, Whilst I don't at all expect it to be an SFX coaster, (after interviews with Wardley revealed that Big ride developments can take up to 5 years to produce) here is a new video of all the options on a Dynamic attractions SFX coaster, along with an interesting interview afterwards. (Just to get some hopes up maybe xD)

I prefer taking bags with me as it's less hassle than queueing up for a band/leaving it to be stolen. I just put my foot through it so it can't fall out.

Well now you see why Expedition Everest has such good throughput. Not just its 4 train operation, but also due to MUCH quicker loading time, thanks to the "cargo bags" you get in the trains! :)

Is there a possibility that the bag drop has something to do with British H&S vs. the rest of the world? Perhaps because the ride goes a certain speed or has a certain elevation, the law requires off ride storage, whereas if it were built in America, for example, it wouldn't be needed at all?

MUCH quicker loading time, thanks to the "cargo bags" you get in the trains! :)

Yes, I'm sure it has quicker loading times due to people faffing with bags in nets than a ride where people don't have any bags with them at all.  :rolleyes:

Once again you have missed my point. I was implying that the ride has some form of intensity rather than souly for throughput reasons. I wasn't suggesting they had added it for fun. That would just be pure stupidity.

Once again you've made your point badly then, because what you wrote bears no resemblance to the explanation you just gave. Don't get arsey at people who can't decipher whatever hidden meaning it is you have buried in your rant, make a clear point instead!

I like how universal deal with it - free lockers for the length of the queue, nice and easy.

The Universal system is great, and surely pays for itself pretty quickly when you've not got to pay two or three people all day every day to staff the bag drop? Merlins dedication to bag drops is quite baffling really, considering how cost adverse they are and how much of a revenue stream paid lockers can be. 

I like how universal deal with it - free lockers for the length of the queue, nice and easy.

Hated taking my bag on rides at Disney having to worry about holding on to it or keeping it dry

You can take your bags on Spiderman if I recall correctly though (of course, since most people will have ridden Hulk prior to it, the bag will likely be in a locker anyway)... Makes sense for it to be on the coasters given their attention to throughputs (especially RotM)...

Though that system is not without it's flaws, a reader in sunlight for example can cause a lot of problems in my experience with them... Also because people are always desperate to get the lockers closest to the entrance/exit there can be bottlenecks (though nothing as bad as Swarm's bag drop I must say)...

You can take your bags on Spiderman if I recall correctly though (of course, since most people will have ridden Hulk prior to it, the bag will likely be in a locker anyway)... Makes sense for it to be on the coasters given their attention to throughputs (especially RotM)...

Though that system is not without it's flaws, a reader in sunlight for example can cause a lot of problems in my experience with them... Also because people are always desperate to get the lockers closest to the entrance/exit there can be bottlenecks (though nothing as bad as Swarm's bag drop I must say)...

Yeah you could - although you couldnt take bags on Men in Black (Although I guess that does spin a fair bit).

Agree it does have its flaws but id say it works better than bag rooms and must be more cost efficient. 

Yeah you could - although you couldnt take bags on Men in Black (Although I guess that does spin a fair bit).

Agree it does have its flaws but id say it works better than bag rooms and must be more cost efficient. 

MIB's vehicle is also a lot more open than Spidey's which is probably the reasoning, maybe once you were able to, been a long long time since I've been...

Lockers are a better option than bag drops though certainly, if used in the same fashion of being free and of benefit to the guest's day, rather than 90% of the parks in the world where the Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks tend to force you to pay for lockers on a constant basis (literally every major coaster allows no bag in the queue at all, and you have to pay for the locker every time, not great)...

Although bag drops allow you to have items in the queue, so that's one major benefit, especially if the queue is long...

Magic Mountain let you dump bags on platforms now but I'd rather pay the $2 to not get my stuff stolen. Universal's system is fine in theory but Forbidden Journey's bag room at opening is pretty horrible, especially when the timers and finger scanners mess up. Also the signs say no loose articles which includes wallets but they you can't pay if you go over time. If Disney had problems with letting people on with bags they would have stopped it. Most of their inverting coasters have bucket style seats anyway.

I'm not sure exactly, but when you look at the layout you realise that it is fairly big! You're right though, it isn't very high, although it must be higher than the building we're getting at Thorpe Park, surely? 

rotm16_152.jpg

I think the one in Studios Hollywood might be even smaller (in height), as it doesn't have the launch up the hill! Depends which coaster you saw the video of :P