February Half Term 2015

Marc

Still unsure on this, I really wanna see Braniac live but the main reason I go is for the rides. I think it's great for anyone who lives close or families with younger ones for a fun day out but I live around 2/3 hours away. Would've been nice to see Braniac around Easter again so at least then it might not be as crowded due to lack of rides being open. Who *is* actually going?

As for comparing it to Alton it's a tough one, Alton's scheme seems to work much better. I would rather have a 30minute wait with a £7 charge per maze than a £10 charge overall and getting on one maze all night due to 4hour queues. And yes, there were 4 hour queues this year don't deny it; I was there on several occasions.

Alton's system has its flaws too.  I remember hearing stories from last season of queues over an hour long for the charged mazes?  Never good for a time-slotted system, where you would usually expect minimal queues.  However, I think that system is more suited to Alton Towers and their situation (Scarefest is a more family-oriented event, and there's only 2 mazes they charge for).  Equally, I think the system used at Thorpe suits them and their situation (FN is scare-oriented and has many attractions).

Personally, I would prefer to pay £10 to experience Fright Nights and allow the opportunity to get to do 5 scare attractions, than to faff about paying £6 a maze and have a time-slot system which would struggle to work.

You get the 'opportunity' to experience all five mazes but in reality it doesn't seem to happen. I experienced a 4 hour virtual wait on Studio 13 to be told I would have to wait a further 120minute standby wait in the reserve n ride line if I wanted to experience the attraction. Standby was even around a 4 hour wait. I know this is due to reserve n ride but the event was ridiculously busy as a whole.

If Thorpe introduced off-peak fright nights it would definitely be worth the £10 charge. Anyway, looking at the opening times this year it doesn't seem that or fireworks is going to be added.

You say in reality that people don't experience all five scare attractions. I went on a busy day last season and Hot all five of them done, plus Swarm in that time too. So it is possible, and I expect quite a lot of people do experience them all in one event if they really want to.

The difference is you are an enthusiast and what an enthusiast gets done in what day is highly different to what a member of the general public gets done. The GP don't plan their day like an enthusiast does so it's completely different.

I was there on the second last day and it was still very busy, 3 hours for the mazes and 2 hours for the rides. I doubt a member of the GP could experience all the rides and coasters with these long queues, bearing in mind the GP do not plan their day step by step like enthusiasts do(unless they are with an enthusiast of course!)

Well the overall day wont be bad. I doubt it will get the queues people are claiming it will. The only problem I have with it is justifying £5 to get to half a park when I could wait a little and get it for free. End of the day I doubt you will feel ripped off it is £5 after all. I just don't like the idea of it. 

I will be going probably on Saturday 14th or Sunday 15th really looking forwood to it tbh. My view with this event is If it goes badly well done thorpe for trying to open in February half-term and if it goes well then a good well done for thorpe will be in order. No point in visiting with a negative mindset. If you expect it to be a miserable day then it probably will be (which by the look of things quite a lot of people are.) 

I just worry that running the rides on good operations during the cold will tire them out and they will experience problems during the season. Most of us are expecting all rides operational at the beginning of the season so to have selected rides down due to them operating in half term will be an absolute bummer.

It ultimately comes down to which rides thorpe choose to open and how hard they will be operating due to queue times etc. I know people won't want bad operations during Half Term but it would be even worse to have major rides down as soon as the park opens officially for the main season.

I just worry that running the rides on good operations during the cold will tire them out and they will experience problems during the season. Most of us are expecting all rides operational at the beginning of the season so to have selected rides down due to them operating in half term will be an absolute bummer.

It ultimately comes down to which rides thorpe choose to open and how hard they will be operating due to queue times etc. I know people won't want bad operations during Half Term but it would be even worse to have major rides down as soon as the park opens officially for the main season.

They have got time between February half term and March to do any additional maintenance that is needed after the Feb half term opening.

Plus swarm & Stealth will most likely only be running one shuttle anyway (that being said,Stealth should really be able to run 2 as it has three trains).

I'm still wondering which others rides will be running as 2 major coasters, a show & ABL isn't a lot so far (though Fish will probably also be open).

Can't see it making a difference - rides have already been testing and will almost constantly run in the run up to open season anyway - only difference this year is some will have riders !

Plus swarm & Stealth will most likely only be running one shuttle anyway (that being said,Stealth should really be able to run 2 as it has three trains).

I'm still wondering which others rides will be running as 2 major coasters, a show & ABL isn't a lot so far (though Fish will probably also be open).

I don't see why they should be just running one train, I would have thought it perfectly manageable to have both ready.

I'm no expert and although I do know they tend to add the second train when there is enough "demand" for it, I am unsure to when this "demand" occurs.

Thorpe generally have good operations on their top coasters, however it seems that when they know it is an off-peak day, they will only run one train to satisfy profits. For example, I have been on an off peak day before with 30-60minute queues due to not a big enough "demand".

As it is a public holiday I would expect them to be running two trains, however as they will be making less money overall they could well be running one. If there are above 60 minute queues they will definately add a second train otherwise I would only expect one train operations for anything between 30-45minutes due to the "demand" levels the park have already chosen before it opens.

In theory, thorpe should always be running two trains on the coasters however I can understand them reducing it to one in certain cases to keep profit margins in line. If queues are below 45minutes during the holidays, the "demand" simply won't be there for two train operation. Thorpe never start their coasters on two trains, they will only add them from the outset if the "demand" becomes strong enough, and this tends to be when the coaster hits around the 60minute point.

I am not attacking thorpe's operations, I am just stating outright what I have experienced in the past.

(Stealth will probably be running one train anyway as it does not make a massive difference like running one train on the swarm or Colossus, again it depends on the amount of people on park and the profit margins thorpe want to keep in line).

I just worry that running the rides on good operations during the cold will tire them out and they will experience problems during the season. 

Think of it like this - opening in February Half Term gives the rides an extra 45ish hours of operational time to the public.  In the main season, they'll be operating for around 1600 hours.  

If you think of it like that, you realise it should make little difference to the long term running of the rides! :)

• 2 weeks later...

A few more rides have been added to the list:

Check out one of four 45 minute shows each day, and enjoy a limited selection of rides including THE SWARM, Stealth, Angry Birds 4D, King Pig's Wild Hog Dodgems, Flying Fish and Depth Charge*

So Depth Charge and Fish have been added, I was expecting Detonator to be on the list though as that forms part of ABL, but it does say "including" so I'm guessing more will be added as that line up isn't brilliant let's be honest.