February Half Term 2015

Marc

They are charging £5 for the event.  The event includes Brainiac Live.  This does not mean they are charging for Brainiac Live.

Also...

Do M£rlin charge for Brainiac live? Seems like the sort of thing they'd do now...?

-Merlin.

-What's this got to do with Merlin?  It's more a Thorpe thing charging for events like these.

Jamie, I really don't understand how they can call it an event in any case, a reduced ride line up and a show which was free last year is not an event and never will be.

It's just extreme money sucking on Thorpe's part, it's not long before passholders get fed up of the endless charges. A much better option this half term is to head down to chessington for cheaper and experience about the same amount of rides as well as a zoo and sealife centre, much more worth the money.

The way I see it, an event is something whereby the park offer more than their standard line up of rides during their main operating hours.  So, Fright Nights is an event (more stuff), Summer Nights is an event (outside main operating hours), as was things like The Big Easter, Sun Scream (more stuff), etc.

So regardless of what there is in the line up or what happens, opening during February Half Term is an event in my opinion, since it's outside the main operating hours of the park.  And Thorpe/Merlin say they can charge passholders for Thorpe's events if they want.  

One must also remember that the line up will also be drastically reduced where aside from a big show (and potentially more bits.

We only know for certain that 2 of the big 5 coasters will be open, plus a handful of supporting rides so the event's capacity will be significantly smaller even if both coasters run two trains (stealth which should automatically be going do anyway) meaning around a quarter of the park will be open (on the assumption we don't hear of more confirmed rides).

Assuming park capacity is around 18k, dividing that by 4 and then halving that (to stop event overcrowding) the very max capacity for the event will likely be 2000 people.

Whilst £5 May seema bit harsh at first glance, considering the limitations of the event, added extras and everything, I think it's not a bad thing (after all £5 nowadays only really gets you a Mcdonalds (medium)) besides I think there's more to come somehow.

Yes but they are saying that it's an event because of Braniac Live, if the show wasn't on then they couldn't possibly call it an event?

They can call it what the hell they want whenever they want to.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it and won't be going for that line up AP or not, but I can entirely see why they've considered this necessary. Half term opening isn't a given, they have to make a business decision to justify opening and they will only consider that at a profit. The prices they've been knocking APs out at in recent years I imagine the percentage of the gate is substantial, and opening in February the attendance expected to be modest with a higher than usual AP percentage enticed because it is 'free' (if it were) than people prepared to pay.

The problems behind all this are many; the pricing structure, the Merlin target system, the AP price, confusing AP layers and the reliance on FT for profit, all of which I think it would be fair to take issue with. But I'm pretty sure the bottom line is this; if all those with a dirt cheap AP could go for free it would make no money and therefore wouldn't happen. The alternative is a closed park, which before the event was announced no one would have batted an eyelid at.

Getting pretty bored of the whinging over this. If you don't like it, just don't go.

I don't understand the reasoning behind "they've said they can do it so its fine". Its still wrong IMO.

They used to open on Feb half term without needing to put an extra charge on it, what's changed since then? (I know there's the show but that was free at Easter).

On a personal level I'll still be visiting as I have a premium pass so it doesn't affect me, I'm just saying that I don't agree with it.

I don't understand the reasoning behind "they've said they can do it so its fine". Its still wrong IMO.

They used to open on Feb half term without needing to put an extra charge on it, what's changed since then? (I know there's the show but that was free at Easter).

On a personal level I'll still be visiting as I have a premium pass so it doesn't affect me, I'm just saying that I don't agree with it.

Maybe Brainiac are charging more this year? Maybe the Feb openings previously were a complete flop? Maybe the MAP has been undervalued for years? Maybe financial pressure has increased after the company has entered the stock market? Maybe the park believes MAP holders will still visit despite the cost? Maybe they want to incentivise the PMAP?

Maybe they just want to make more money? If they thought they were going to make less money they wouldn't be doing this. I agree that the event is lacklustre but I'm not going to go just so I can spend the day spending money (I have a PMAP..) doing something I don't want to do just so I can complain on a forum. 

The only thing I'm still not getting here is the fact that you have to pre-book: how busy are they expecting it to be? Or am I TOTALLY missing a vital point that has already been raised and not reading close enough? Either way I probably won't be attending due to work/ the fact that I don't fancy going in the freezing cold with limited rides, but I'll be interested to see how it goes :)

The only thing I'm still not getting here is the fact that you have to pre-book: how busy are they expecting it to be? Or am I TOTALLY missing a vital point that has already been raised and not reading close enough? Either way I probably won't be attending due to work/ the fact that I don't fancy going in the freezing cold with limited rides, but I'll be interested to see how it goes :)

I think the idea is that by making passholders pre-book, they can control numbers more easily and ensure it doesn't get too busy.  I'm sure they'll still allow people to turn up on the day, but they just want to know numbers and ensure that they have the appropriate number of staff and such to make the day enjoyable for everyone.

Someone made a very good point. They've got to pay for Braniac, plus the park capacity is significantly reduced. They can let in (as an example) 2,000. If they let in 1,000 Annual Pass holders, where's the money to pay for February Half Term to be up and running? The staff, the maintenance, the show, etc.

It's the same with Fright Nights and Scarefest. Thorpe offer five additional attractions, you pay £5. Towers offer two additional mazes, you pay £12.

So actually, when you look at your additional costs...

THORPE for Standard MAP: £5 for half term, £5 for Fright Nights = £10 extra per year, per visit to both.

Towers for Standard MAP: Free for half term, £12 for Scarefest mazes = £12 extra per visit.

So when you look at it, Thorpe just charge you a similar amount in two ways, not one. Don't like it? Then go buy Premium and have done with it...

So when you look at it, Thorpe just charge you a similar amount in two ways, not one. Don't like it? Then go buy Premium and have done with it...

That's really what this comes down too. You cant expect to buy a standard pass and get the same perks as the more expensive premium one.

Entry to the park is not a "perk", it's what should be expected of any annual pass.

Thorpe Park is open March to November - the Annual Pass covers you for any non-special events during that time.  

If you're getting to access the park in February, then I'm pretty sure that's a perk.

An "Annual Pass" gives access to whenever the park is open, and last one year.  It does not give access to the park for one year, and that's something that has always been the case!

Thorpe Park is open March to November - the Annual Pass covers you for any non-special events during that time.  

If you're getting to access the park in February, then I'm pretty sure that's a perk.

An "Annual Pass" gives access to whenever the park is open, and last one year.  It does not give access to the park for one year, and that's something that has always been the case!

I don't see how that's a perk when other parks (such as Alton Towers and Chessington) open in February without calling it a perk?  

I'm thinking the park capacity will be set pretty low with the limited lineup, so it's just all relative and might get 'full' to this much lower then normal number. 

Entry to the park is not a "perk", it's what should be expected of any annual pass.

While I absolutely agree with that sentiment, it should be taken as read now that that is not the case with a standard AP. It's a mess, but at the cost they knock them out at it's understandable. To me the AP is more like a discount card; there's always parking, there's often extras. They have greatly devalued the meaning and value of what an AP is, by taking things away to allow for the introduction of 'premium' versions which all include things that were and should be standard anyway.

As I say, a mess. But I'm confident this event could not exist at all if it were free to standard APs, so this result isn't the problem. The AP price and structure is.

I don't see how that's a perk when other parks (such as Alton Towers and Chessington) open in February without calling it a perk?

Could be worse, you could fork out nearly £20 for a third of Legoland's rides (without the big dragon) for their christmas event.

Despite how beutifully lit and decorated the park was (as well as practical,y having it to myself) £18.75 for a pass holder ticket (off peak) is a bit much IMO (was nearly £23 on peak).

£5 is nothing really (and I doubt many will go more than once anyway).