The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

They really haven't got a clue have they, breakdowns are normal in theme parks, but anything to bring up The Smiler again!  :angry:

Seems to me like they are trying to generate as much bad publicity for Merlin as possible - ghastly people.

Couldn't agree more. Really does get me fuming whenever these morons just "have" to report on every little thing that goes wrong within the park...and to throw a big song-and-dance over a mere ride breakdown is just the most immature news story I have ever heard in my ENTIRE life!!! The people sharing them on social media are even worse! I saw one re-post on Facebook that had "this place needs shutting down" and even one that says "this place needs blowin up"!

What I'm saying is I've literally had enough. If these over-reacting, immature SCUMBAGS don't stop and know when enough is enough, then I just hope that one day they end up with the same fate as News Of The World, because these people just don't deserve to be around if they have nothing better to make a story out of. :angry2:

Couldn't agree more. Really does get me fuming whenever these morons just "have" to report on every little thing that goes wrong within the park...and to throw a big song-and-dance over a mere ride breakdown is just the most immature news story I have ever heard in my ENTIRE life!!! The people sharing them on social media are even worse! I saw one re-post on Facebook that had "this place needs shutting down" and even one that says "this place needs blowin up"!

What I'm saying is I've literally had enough. If these over-reacting, immature SCUMBAGS don't stop and know when enough is enough, then I just hope that one day they end up with the same fate as News Of The World, because these people just don't deserve to be around if they have nothing better to make a story out of. :angry2:

Did you click on the article? If so, they've done their job.

I've sent an email to The Mirror highlighting my disgust on the way they have reported it, as they were appealing for anyone who was stuck on the ride to get into contact with them.  Whilst I wasn't directly involved in the incident I have been stuck on rides in the past and it's a completely normal occurrence, so I sent a lengthy email.

Bet they don't even read it!  :lol:

At least he BBC article focuses on the monorail breakdown taking an hour to clear on the hottest day of the year, which to be honest is a bit of an issue, rather than the Air on the lift hill non-story.

No different to say National Rail trains being stuck mid-journey due to the heat messing up the rails...

Neither are particularly stories to panic over... I would assume an hour to evacuate the entirity of the Monorail given the scale of it would be about right...

I had my first Alton experience on the 30th and the 1st. There were a lot of closures yesterday, but I hardly heard anyone complain about it. Even when we all had to walk round to the car parks, everyone just got on with it. All seems like non-stories.

Was there on 30th and 1st And the only annoying thing was the monorail being delayed the first night and then broken the second the only issue at all in the whole two days And The walk is hardly that long anyway it's just going over the top now! one Thing that isn't really related is I really felt sorry for the people in th13teen Bag room yesterday Looked like they were about to pass out! 

To be fail the incoming car does come in at quiet a pace (between walking and jogging), when I was sat there stationary the other week and the other car came in, I did flinch a bit, but the car stopped short, not by much though, just a few inches, we all had a good laugh at ourselves at the time lol.

Makes me laugh when they make a simple bump in the station out to be a major incident, I should claim compensation then cos I've crashed into other boats on loggers/dragons loads of times in he station entrance.

Whilst I'm very much against all this rubbish reporting (and haven't clicked the links!) I hate to say it even at "walking pace" no cars on Sonic should be bumping and really isn't normal practice. The ride was shut after Smiler and although it is a nothing does surely indicate it did go through some kind of block brake?

They really need to get some form of injunction to shut the media up. They are literally lying to people now "80 people left stranded upside-down at Alton Towers", nothing even remotely similar occurred!

There's no denying that this is seriously damaging the park's reputation, and therefore, Merlin's revenue.

There's no denying that this is seriously damaging the park's reputation, and therefore, Merlin's revenue.

Couldn't agree more. The media really need to know what harm they're bringing to Merlin and also when enough is enough. This just can't continue. This has got to be the most disgusting bout of activity by the media since the phone hacking scandal.

• Marc unpinned this topic