Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

It sounds as if VR headsets will be used throughout the ride, which could possibly show each person something different.

If this turns out to be a "virtual reality dark-ride" relying on the headsets, then I have no interest in it whatsoever, I'd rather they built an actual dark ride.  Guess we'll find out tomorrow!

Taken directly from the article

15 JAN 2016
Exclusive: Merlin creative director reveals new details about Derren Brown attraction coming to Thorpe Park in 2016
Paul Moreton, global creative director for Merlin Magic Making at Merlin Entertainments has exclusively revealed to Attractions Management new details about Derren Brown’s new ride at Thorpe Park, which will use a number of modern and traditional techniques to create an experience right from the mind of the master illusionist. 

Touted as a ghost train reinvented for the 21st Century, the age-restricted Derren Brown’s Ghost Train will incorporate grand illusion, live action, next-generation technology, 4D special effects and physical transit to create an experience unlike any other. 

“We’ve taken the ghost train as an inspiration,” said Moreton speaking exclusively to Attractions Management. “The thing we love about a good ghost train is creating that sense of being scared, but laughing at the same time. We’re trying to capture that element and we thought it was about time we took that standard, that Victorian product which has been around 200 years or so, and gave it a 21st century makeover. It’s Derren’s interpretation of that.” 

Upon entering the 2,300sq m (25,000sq ft) warehouse encompassing the ride, guests will encounter a large disused Victorian warehouse, which in its centre will have a 20 metre (65 foot) -long, seven tonne Victorian train carriage suspended in mid air by iron chains. 

Little detail has been revealed about what will actually take place within the attraction. What is known is the ride is designed to leave guests questioning where their perception ends and where reality begins. 

“Like with Derren’s show, he doesn’t really want everyone to say what happens so they can experience it for themselves because the less you know, the more you will get out of it,” said Moreton. 

“Just like Derren’s shows we’re playing with your mind, making you question what’s real and what’s not. When the ride ends, we want you to come away with a thought-provoking experience. Did that happen? Did that not happen? That is the new generation experience we are talking about and that’s what will make it very unique.” 

Moreton revealed that virtual reality would be one of the elements used to create the illusions, using an HTC Vive headset within the train. He was keen to stress however that the attraction is not a VR experience. 

It’s not the same as our launch of Glactica at Alton Towers last week,” he said. “We’re using that to enhance the experience but crucially it’s just one element of several which are all equally as important as each other.” 

One of the attraction’s key elements, is that each rider will have a unique experience. On the 10-15 minute ride, there are 12 possible journeys to get to two alternate endings. Dependant on choices made, each individual rider will encounter a different path as they go through the experience. 

“If you and I went on the attraction together, you would probably experience something different to what I did,” said Moreton. “You may come out and say ‘did that happen to you’ and I’ll respond ‘no this happened instead’.” 

“I firmly believe that this kind of multi-sensory, mind blowing attraction represents a glimpse of what the future holds for theme parks the world over,” said Derren Brown. 

“Akin to my shows, I ask that when you board the train, the secrets remain mine and yours to share and fear, and you don’t spoil the experience by telling others ahead of their visit. 

“People should also note that this is not an experience for the faint hearted. But to ensure you are in the right frame of mind to take full advantage of the journey I will send you on, I refuse to reveal any further details past the doors of the carriage.” 
Looking at that, it makes it sound as if you go into the train carriage, and that is where you experience the show from.

I find it hard to believe that not only did this random site get a full run-down of the ride experience but also images of what the VR experience looks like to post freely. Anyone could have created an image of that calibre.

It's a good thing there's less than a day to wait for the official stuff to come out to see whether this site is correct or not. 

I remain skeptical for now. Though I have many issues with what the article speaks about and how likely they are to be true.

That artice was posted on Friday.

If this is what the ride actually is, then in a round about fashion ...... I was right all along.

You will not board the hanging train. It will be for decoration.

You will board a dum .... dum .......... DDDUUUUUUUUM!

IMMERSIVE F!"£$%G TUNNEL WEARING A F!"£$%G HEADSET!

so it will be a variant of the immersive tunnel. - Fudge :(

*Fingers crossed this is not real, how did we miss it for 48 hours?*

That artice was posted on Friday.

If this is what the ride actually is, then in a round about fashion ...... I was right all along.

You will not board the hanging train. It will be for decoration.

You will board a dum .... dum .......... DDDUUUUUUUUM!

IMMERSIVE F!"£$%G TUNNEL WEARING A F!"£$%G HEADSET!

so it will be a variant of the immersive tunnel. - Fudge :(

*Fingers crossed this is not real, how did we miss it for 48 hours?*

Careful posting anything negative about Thorpe on here, it doesn't seem to be allowed and is punishable by having Ryan throw abuse at you.

Before we all hate on VR. Have any of you complaining about it actually experienced it? I haven't and whilst I'm unsure on the idea of VR I'm not entirely against it and am open that it may be amazing and possibly the future. Let's use Europa as an example as that is often the best park to use.

Alpine had it as paid extra last year, it was popular and reviews were hugely positive! So, this year it remains on Alpine and is also available on Pegasus. So it can't be bad for them to be expanding its offerings. There is huge scope of what is possible with VR, so let's not judge the technology that is taking the theme park world by storm (obviously because it's really unpopular and rubbish) until we've actually tried it for ourselves.

I whole heartedly agree with Jack F, if this is the ride, then it is extremely bloody lazy.

still taking it with a slight pinch of salt, as you would imagine that this being out there for 48 hours would have been discussed a lot more, not just on here.

It is pretty spot on to what I have always been saying though.

Air didn't need a VR upgrade, they have just ruined a coaster by doing that, you ride a rollercoaster to ride a rollercoaster, not stare at a phone screen.

"this is not a VR experience" - I'm sorry, but if you are on the ride wearing a VR headset ..... It's a VR experience.

If this is the ride, I don't see many members of the GP actually going nuts over something called a Ghost Train, With or Without Derren Brown.

P.S - VR is not "taking the Theme park world by storm" - it has been implemented on a couple of coasters and will fizzle out within 2 years.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic