Possible Expansion

ThemeParkLover

On 15 August 2016 at 8:17 AM, BaronC. said:

This is a good point, and one which always left me concerned from a marketing perspective.  Can Thorpe continue to grow and bring people in with no new coasters for an 8 year period  (assuming 2020 is the next big investment and is a coaster)?  Without good medium sized investments, I'm not sure.

As I've said 100 times, I'd love to see the park invest in racing/duelling Vekoma junior boomerangs.  Great family investment, but fun for everyone, a legitimate and easy-to-market world first, visually stunning, decent enough throughput and come at a good price.  

The only issue would be space; even by removing a flat ride, it wouldn't be easy to achieve. 

Look at the start of this thread, I definitely think tears space....I would like to see this but really don't think it would happen. I really see an RMC topper track.

1 hour ago, ThemeParkLover said:

Look at the start of this thread, I definitely think tears space....I would like to see this but really don't think it would happen. I really see an RMC topper track.

The island behind Swarm would definitely be great for a large scale investment.  But I think it would be wasted on a medium scale investment, which a Vekoma boomerang should be considered as.

^ Exactly. The Island behind The Swarm is clearly large and will therefore probably be the spot for Thorpe's next BIG investment. 

Thorpe probably realise this and with therefore make sure that the investment fully utilises the piece of land as Thorpe do not have a large amount of space. 

Following the use of the land behind The Swarm, (whenever that may be), every small pocket of space will be made the most of. 

So, as this island is potentially the only big bit of land the park have left, I'm sure that the investment which uses it will be a very big one, and not a medium investment such as boomerangs.

I would quite like to see something replace it, definitely not a ride, but something like a high ropes course, with a plaza underneath would suit the parks Thrill seeker vibe well or a scaled down Extraordinary golf to suit the family market.

The problem I have always had with Thorpe is one, the space, it just feels too populated. Two, the target audience, Thorpe is very confused with what it wants to be, It seems to dip in and out of the idea of being a family friendly park, The addition of angry birds land was very confusing for me and it still was keeping detonator, quite a scary drop tower for those who are fans of the flinging birds.

Thorpe has the issue of packing too much variety in such a small space, The second you step into the "Family" area, you straight back out to two thrill rides. Towers benefits from the size as it can separate family from thrill quite well.

The problem I think a plaza has is that in the parks current split personality, the Staines massive wouldn't appreciate a Plaza and would just be full of moody millennials smoking and complaining there is no ride as that's all they want. The family audience would then step straight into the cloud of smoke and be put off instantly :D

EDIT: However, I can also see raining spit coming from the high ropes course...

I definitely think the beach needs to be nonride space (should it ever be removed).

As mentioned, space may be at a premium, but the park does need some green spaces which at the moment is only properly served by Sunken Gardens since the closures of the farm and model world.

the second thing to consider is, the beach is also one of the first things you see when you enter the park and the rides in the distance for a first impression isn't a bad one. I think putting a ride there would just clutter this up and ruin first impressions.

Ideally, if the park were to remove the beach and replace them with grand fountains and grassy areas it would be a step in the right direction. Modernise and refurbish the dome and entrance pathways and I think the park would be onto a winner for a top quality entrance view. 

In in regards to the park's next big thing, I think it will either be going to the empty island or Canada Creek. As much I want loggers to reopen (being my first ever log ride), I feel the park is on a fence right now on whether to refurbish it and remove it. Knowing Merlin the latter is highly possible and we could even see the complete end of the area. Considering rocky and a few game stalls are all that remain open so far.

Whilst expansion after these two are taken up will be strictly limited (also depending what happens to Shark hotel), it must be remembered a number of rides in the coming years will be reaching the end of their operational lives. These include Samurai, Slammer, X, lost city flats and eventually Colossus.

No idea what we will see before 2020, but hopefully it will be more exciting than a low capacity maze and a quick area overlay (though the rides aren't half bad).

3 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

Funny, last time I was at Thorpe all I heard was angry parents yelling at their kids "I didn't pay a hundred quid so you could sit on the ****ing beach all day catching Pokemon" :lol:

My point exactly. The majority of people don't go to Thorpe Park to sit on a beach, that isn't really even a beach. Replace it with either a new ride, or put a new plaza area/ non ride area in its location.

A grand opening plaza with fountains as Benin suggested would be a terrific alternative to the beach. 

I think Thorpe need to remember one rule as they progress over time: put large rides on the perimeter of the park. Aesthetically, that would mean that upon entering the park and leaving the dome, your eyes would immediately be drawn to the horizon yet the centre of the park would look uncluttered and welcoming too.

22 minutes ago, ThemeParkLover said:

the beach really pulls the theme of the area together 

I don't think it does though. For me it just draws out the area and complicates it further.

So, Amity comprises a fishing village, a speedway and a beach (which has more of an Atlantis themed than an Amity one). That's an awful lot of sub-themes for one section of the park isn't it? 

If they are going to keep the beach, surely the least they can do is make it fit in with the rest of Amity - because at the moment I'm getting more Neptune/Atlantis vibes.

42 minutes ago, CharlieN said:

I don't think it does though. For me it just draws out the area and complicates it further.

So, Amity comprises a fishing village, a speedway and a beach (which has more of an Atlantis themed than an Amity one). That's an awful lot of sub-themes for one section of the park isn't it? 

If they are going to keep the beach, surely the least they can do is make it fit in with the rest of Amity - because at the moment I'm getting more Neptune/Atlantis vibes.

Ok..I get,your point. I forgot about the amity,beach thing I still thought of it as Neptune's Kingdom. Back then depth charge and the beach was such a lovely view. I agree and think they should just keep the speedway and fishing village.

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 11:30 AM, 3Dimensions said:

Get rid of Depth Charge and Samurai, move the Flying Fish to the latter's former position and open something in that space. Not a Larson Looper, they look suckish.

I don't think they'd relocate Flying Fish, a kids ride, too close to Saw. In all honesty if they were going to relocate the Fish Id say just remove it. True, I may be slightly biased lmao, I hate the thing, and I probably sound like a broken record but it's just so slow, rough and boring. My whole family agreed with me this time and now we're probably never gonna bother with it again, despite the fact it used to be my sister's favourite ride. Thorpe really need better.

Tbh I want Thorpe to get a Flyer and a Maurer Sohne Spinner. I wonder why...

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought,

with CCR closing and now possibly loggers, the space those two rides and the whole CC section with Rocky express leaves a pretty huge space for a possible coaster, probably the biggest amount of space available since Colossus..  Maybe the more likely location for the next one over the island behind swarm and stealth

ToXwTdY.jpg

A Mack or RMC would fit perfectly :ph34r:

4 hours ago, holtjammy16 said:

Just a thought,

with CCR closing and now possibly loggers, the space those two rides and the whole CC section with Rocky express leaves a pretty huge space for a possible coaster, probably the biggest amount of space available since Colossus..  Maybe the more likely location for the next one over the island behind swarm and stealth

I understand that over the next two years there will be some promising developments. Two majors. The new island is slightly smaller than other footprints, but the region referred to above is worth watching.