2021 Season

Looks about right - they increase the price of the Ultimate Fastrack during Fright Nights, and then they just tack on the £30 for the mazes on top of that.

Bit weird to not give any sort of discount for the mazes. I'm sure prior to the mazes being upcharge, it worked out cheaper to buy Ultimate Maze Fastrack rather than Ultimate Ride Fastrack + Maze Fastrack. 

Hopefully it's made clear to those who buy that the mazes don't actually have Fastrack, and you're just getting a ticket for each included.

9 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

Looks about right - they increase the price of the Ultimate Fastrack during Fright Nights, and then they just tack on the £30 for the mazes on top of that.

Bit weird to not give any sort of discount for the mazes. I'm sure prior to the mazes being upcharge, it worked out cheaper to buy Ultimate Maze Fastrack rather than Ultimate Ride Fastrack + Maze Fastrack. 

Hopefully it's made clear to those who buy that the mazes don't actually have Fastrack, and you're just getting a ticket for each included.

That's actually really helpful and something I wasn't aware of - I'll probably opt to stick with purchasing the usual Ultimate Fastrack and then purchase the mazes that we want to do on the day then!

• 5 weeks later...

I think overall it’s probably been mixed.

For me personally, unfortunately it’s not been the best season. My experience at fright nights was really bad, and I have found the ride lineup to be getting a little stale now if I’m honest.

Black Mirror was a cool addition, but the hype was over within a matter of days.

It’s the same with DBGT and Walking Dead, to me they were never really that good as new attractions to the lineup, so it feels like the same lineup that it was 10 years ago (minus Loggers and Slammer).

I think it’s well overdue time Thorpe finally got a proper new attraction to generate a bit of a buzz, and to freshen it up a bit.

Interested to hear others’ thoughts on the year!

8 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Was impressed with the coffee and water deal at Costa in The Dome as I often find myself drinking lots of water during the day, so for me it was a good season.

You can get free water from the freestyle machines - when I first found this out I drank about 3 litres that day 🤣

For me, I only visited once this year for fright nights on Map holders night, well they suckered me in to buy a discovery pass anyway so congratulations on that Merlin.

I don’t know if it’s just a thing with my age or height that I just don’t enjoy the park in the same way anymore. So for me Thorpe park hasn’t aged like a bottle of fine wine, it’s the man sitting on the curb with a 3L bottle of scrumpy jacks currently. It doesn’t know whether to be a thrill park engaging broke teens with the adrenaline rush they deserve or a family park catering to every member of the family. For me I want that thrill park as with Chessington and Lego both 30 mins away there is no excuse for another family park.

Black mirror was fun but a one and done so meh.

Fright nights for me had literally lost its spark. Yes the new maze was good, however 3 mazes at a scare event? At £10 each it’s just not enough for me. Plus the park is infected with those families watching family friendly dance shows and making sure that Timmy age 5 becomes a successful theme park vlogger, it just ruins the immersion of this is a scary event aimed to terrify.

I really do miss 2011 fright nights  which I think was the highlight for me.

Experiment 10 and even the actors in the hazmat suits outside perhaps just walking back to the break room terrified me.

The curse and 7, two great marquee attractions, which I miss dearly why not use the tent approach more.

The asylum, always the best in my opinion especially when the actors were so passionate and embraced in some cases their own handicaps.

Saw Alive, still one of my favourites from a themeing point of view however did this begin the lionsgate and AMC partnerships that in my opinion have done more harm then good?

And to top it off we had a rollercoaster being built to heighten the excitement. #LC12.

I just don’t ever see the park getting back to being anything as special as it was and I really do miss that and would probably prefer if we could just relive 2011 as a season in 2022, before all the abusing of systems and MAP holders not getting value for money on their £100 a year passes.

Basically I’m bored of the park and fright nights now. 

I had a great time on my one visit of the year. About 40 rides, evacuated from Colossus, gorgeous weather, celebrated Vortex and Detonators 20th anniversary, Had a beer. Was wonderful. 

From what I can see Thorpe had been much more vibrant and reliable than Towers this year. I didn't visit in 2020 so maybe the year away did me some good.

And I genuinely think an Annual Pass is the worst way to visit the parks. I used to be all for it over a decade ago but I think every visit, it loses that spark and enjoyment. It just becomes an obligation. Some AP holders think they deserve everything under the sun, that because they spent a bit of money, the park should completely ignore the every day paying guests. As one of those everyday paying guests, and someone who has been visiting now for 21 years (christ I'm old), I genuinely think I have more loyalty to Chessington, Thorpe and Towers then some of those gold lanyard wearing AP holders. Loyalty isn't how many times you visit, but the passion. 

I didn't visit for Halloween as for me its a complete waste of time. I hate the way guests behave at the Merlin trio at night, mazes don't do anything for me and the reliability of the rides across the Merlin group in October has been questionable. 

4 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Some AP holders think they deserve everything under the sun, that because they spent a bit of money, the park should completely ignore the every day paying guests.

I think "some" is being very polite 😁

Oh and @Han30 - I only recently found out about the free water from the Freestyle machines, did that at Towers and Legoland! Obvs used to use the water fountains at Thorpe but then a pandemic happened innit! Typical!

So I went to the park on 30th October - had an enjoyable day, but I have to say that I felt like the park is in a complete state. I didn't make a list, but small things like the numbers in the boarding area for rush and just general wear and tear throughout the park it just felt dirty and extremely tired. Sinks not working in the toilets etc, it's a shame to see it like this. I know it's never been the cleanest of places and it's the end of the season, but this shouldn't be an excuse. They should be putting maximum effort into making the park look presentable for their busiest period of the season. 

It felt like a 'Pop-up' event, everything seemed very temporary about the place and the cost-cuttings are evident throughout the park. One example appears to be the closure of multiple park-owned F&B and retail units and the introduction of out-sourced suppliers. Another examples is the reduction in staff numbers on Rides. 

Obviously the park was extremely busy, we paid for Ultimate fastrack and got on everything, but the queues were still pretty long so we ended up going home at about 7ish. 

I personally won't attend Fright Nights again, my previous visit was during covid restrictions and I enjoyed it alot more. I really hope that through the closed season the park focus on improving the general presentation throughout the park and look to re-open their F&B units too. 

My standards are alot lower than when I used to visit the park regularly and when I used to work there, I wouldn't say I'm an enthusiast anymore. I'm someone that visits once a year and comes over especially to visit, but it was poor and unless I see evidence of significant improvements next season I can't imagine I'll be going back again. 

20 hours ago, JDann said:

So I went to the park on 30th October - had an enjoyable day, but I have to say that I felt like the park is in a complete state. I didn't make a list, but small things like the numbers in the boarding area for rush

See, it's things like this that cost a piddly amount of money but no-one seems to care - OK, so it's only numbers on the floor, but it just adds to the tatty feel of things (and no, that's not theming :D) Those numbers haven't been replaced in donkeys. Boring topic, but it's something I've mentioned to @JoshC. before - the tarmac around Derren Browns Ghost Train - from point of it opening - looked awful where there were trenches dug and cables laid, the tarmac was a different colour and looked very tatty/messy - so I appreciate noone goes to a theme park to look at tarmac, but all these little things add up and add to the run down feel of the place.

Completely agree.  The park in general is not in good shape at all is it.

The floornumbers in Rush’s loading area and the tarmac near Derren Brown, those 2 things alone - Well, nobody cares. 🤷‍♂️ 

But I agree with what you say - it’s when everything has this same shabby “meh it’ll do” neglect, the park overall looks dreadful.

Another example is that they opened their NEW attraction this season, and used an abandoned ride as the queue line.

Nothing says “f*** it that will do” louder than that, does it.

I guess it’s down to a lack of funding?

because clearly there are people working there who genuinely care. Saw’s new dispatch for example is great, some of the new branding and signage is really lovely, and Trailers was a beautifully made maze - but all of these things fall down when they’re surrounded by neglect, sbno rides and fading rust-covered coasters.

I had my worst theme park visit in my life this FN, and to be honest because of that I really don’t want to go back to Thorpe.

I will of course go and try any major new ride if they ever get one, but the park has gone so far downhill that it needs a monumental change to turn it around I think.

As it stands at the moment, based on my experiences this season, Thorpe Park is not a good day out anymore in my opinion.  There are multiple, far better theme parks within easy reach.

12 hours ago, LK_ said:

My best visit this year was In mid may on a week day, did everything multiple times by 2pm, then left.

That feels like the only way to do thorpe for me once a year, a one and done. Towers on the other hand I can stay there for days and not get bored.

I envy you. I did Towers three times this year and it got worse and worse on each subsequent visit. There's only so many excuses you can give to a theme park having loads of rides closed but its one thing when in the pouring rain, none of your indoor rides are open, neither are over half the main rollercoaster line up. Merlin have had a shocking year frankly. 

Honestly, Thorpe has been a mixed bag this year from my five visits this year. 

Operations have been generally good, especially on rides such as Inferno and Stealth. Though some still need work. 

I like how they have continued to push for more events besides Fright Nights. They need some work, but it’s something and entices more visits perhaps. 

That said, the park appearance wise needs a lot of work. The TLC they have done to the Dome and Tidal Wave have helped, but there are so many more areas that need work doing. If 2022 marks the end of old town, we shall have to see!

Chessington operationally seemed much worse this year IMO. 

16 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

Honestly, Thorpe has been a mixed bag this year from my five visits this year. 

Operations have been generally good, especially on rides such as Inferno and Stealth. Though some still need work. 

I like how they have continued to push for more events besides Fright Nights. They need some work, but it’s something and entices more visits perhaps. 

That said, the park appearance wise needs a lot of work. The TLC they have done to the Dome and Tidal Wave have helped, but there are so many more areas that need work doing. If 2022 marks the end of old town, we shall have to see!

Chessington operationally seemed much worse this year IMO. 

So what you are saying is Thorpe needs some work.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic