Rant

Theme Park bloke

A fresh rant - this should get tongues wagging (or car horns blasting in this case):

Nobody likes paying for car parks, or on-street parking. But, picture this...

A main road with double-yellow lines is resurfaced and made nice and smooth. After completion, the white lines are painted in. Job done? Hmm, not quite. No double yellow lines are repainted.

So what happens? "Ooh no, yellow lines, I can park here!" - everyone decides to park on the main road, with cars parked on both sides right opposite each other. The main road becomes congested at times, the cars risking getting hit.

Fair enough, they have a right to park there, it's the fault of the council for not putting repainting the yellow lines. But think where you park, please! :angry2: Yes, we all want free parking, but it may cost you more than a 60p ticket if somone knocks your wingmirror off!

Being told contradicting information regarding an essay worth 100% of your unit mark. I followed the instructions we were originally given, only to find out after I submitted my work that they had been changed (she didn't post on Moodle that the instructions had changed, I found out from my friend). It's not like I even submitted my work stupidly early, the deadline was today and I submitted it yesterday afternoon.

I suppose on the up side I emailed the unit coordinator and was told my mark should be unaffected as these things are 'desirable, not essential'. Even so, it's appalling for an academic to do something like that. To top it all off she's my tutor and I feel really bad for bad mouthing her as she is a lovely person, but I'm angry as this could have all been avoided had she actually posted somewhere that she had changed some of the instructions.

What a joke.

You're obviously very old-fashioned and behind on the times.

These days you can't even get on a train or wait at a bus stop without people looking down at their smartphone, even if they're texting or browsing online.

The one that gets me are the people who go to the pub with their mates, and spend a while on their smartphone, or checking it every few minutes. Very unsociable. Sometimes I intentionally go out without my phone and get asked why - simple...because I'm not gonna join the crowd and be unsociable.

I find people checking their phone, whether that be texts (unless of course they've heard one come through) or Facebook/Twitter very rude when I'm talking to them. I get annoyed at Ian when he does it.

It's called multitasking. You should try it one day.

But when you multitask you're not as focussed on one thing - your attention is needed for both. So it comes across as you're not listening/are bored, and rather than say anything you're just going to check your phone. This can be very rude. (Not you personally, in general :P)

But unsocialble is fun. Are you saying that social networks make you unsocialble? Holy hell?!?!

No, if I thought that I'd say it.

It's called multitasking. You should try it one day.

I have tried it. Works fine for me. But there's a time and a place for checking phones, not in the middle of a pub with your mates, or midway through a meal in a restaurant!

I wouldn't do it if someone was talking directly to me as that would be plain rude! Or indeed in the middle of eating! :P But I can sometimes feel awkward around groups of people and briefly checking my phone and "getting away" so to speak acts as a sort of comfort :blush: Or if I'm not involved in the conversation. Again, not intended in a rude way, but if I have nothing to say or I'm not interested in the conversation, it feels so awkward just sitting doing nothing! It's hard to explain!

Usually though it's taking or uploading photos. Or say we had a drink or something after a meet and the people that are already home have uploaded photos etc, I'll have a look at them. Can make discussion out of it too, so not being completely rude :P

You say that Han, but I don't bother with the Internet on my Blackberry (although that's mostly because I don't like the Internet on it and don't want to pay for it when I'd never use it), and I wouldn't call myself old fashioned!

Some people just prefer not to be on the Internet 24/7. Granted when I get a better phone (SOON :wub:) I'll probably pay for Internet on it, but I still doubt I would use it ALL the time. In some ways I think the lack of using the Internet on my mobile means I'm less reliant on it - I know people who get mad if they can't access Facebook through their phone, whereas I just really don't care.

So currently I just use my phone for calls and texts, but that will probably change. I'll admit that if I'm in a WiFi hotspot I do abuse the Internet on my iPod (providing the access is free), but that's mostly using a joke app rather than Facebook/Twitter.

On the Topic of Phones I despise BlackBerry's with a key pad because when I am at the Cinema or watching a film at home with people who text on blackberry's one because it clicks all the time when you type so when trying to concentrate on the story I can hear *click *click *click then a buzz then more *click *click *click . Also another thing that annoys me is people on there phone in the Cinema because you have paid at least £5 to watch this certain film and most people are there clicking away / tapping away with there brightness on full and why would they do something they can do when ever but they have paid to watch the film then watch the flipping film urghh it just annoys me so much can people live with out there phones for at least 2 and a half hours I turn my phone off the second the screen starts to show some images. my small rant Not to offend anyone with a Black berry ^_^

Oh, you've discovered it too?! :o

You say that Han, but I don't bother with the Internet on my Blackberry (although that's mostly because I don't like the Internet on it and don't want to pay for it when I'd never use it),

Most phone contracts or PAYG have free access chucked in, although it's capped at some point. My current contract expires in July, I've had it since July 2011 and I get 500mb data a month. It's OK, and I have had to pay extra if I need another 500mb, but thankfully that's only happened a couple of times. My next contract I'm looking at offers 1000mb.

Okay sorry that this is going to be a long post, it's just that I don't see why people need to get involved in my business, here is a text that I have received from my own grandmother.

"Have spoken to your dad today and am disgusted what he had to say about you...not sitting on your lazy arse...you little b******...get off your laptop at a reasonable time not like 4am like this morning"

Well I had the thought of sending a few nice words along the line of FO, and what gives you the right to swear at me and talk about me behind my back, but I cant send anything because of no credit. EURGGGGGG my grandmother is such a..., and I don't see why she has to tell me to go to bed, I'm on half term why should I go to bed when I'm not tired, I will still go on my laptop!

Sorry for moaning about this it's just that I hate it when people do that!

P.S: A lot of the text was cut out due to the length and the context of it, but these are the main parts of the text that really got me going!

Wow that's really rude! And shocking words and language from a grandparent! Mine would never dream of speaking to their grandchildren like that, it would break their hearts! And why is she calling you a lazy arse?! I can imagine your frustration too at not being able to reply! (Something kinda similar happened to me recently, where somebody said something I suspect was aimed at me, and if it was I will be furious as it's not true, dam ignorant, a false accusation, none if their fricking business...the list could go on! Making my blood boil just thinking of it!)

At least your dad doesn't mind you being up until 4 (or you haven't said he does anyway)! I'm 23 and my mum and brother STILL moan at me for staying up that late! Yeah it's a ridiculous time but hey, if I don't have anything to get up for the next day and I'm spending that time speaking to friends on Skype, then so what? Besides, when they're in bed it's the only time I can relax and get peace and quiet, as when they're awake there's noise and arguing <_<

Night owls ftw!

Haha, thanks for the reply Mer, the fact is I don't even know what my dad thought of me staying up as he didn't say anything when I went up to bed while he was getting up, I really want to send her something back but I'm not going to let her win, but the thing is my brother stays up that late every night really, and he sometimes doesn't go to college, I do it on weekends and holidays not during the week, and here's the part that made me laugh, she told me to do my homework, haha! I have loads of course work for school and guess what, I do it in time! So I don't know where she's going saying that.

P.S: I have no idea why she is calling me lazy, maybe because my dad decorated my room and apparently I didn't help, although I did help clear out my room of all the stuff that I didn't need to keep in there at the time.