Rant

Theme Park bloke

I finally got my scan appointment through the post!! 17th Jan! Woo! It'll have been six weeks waiting by then so it is a big waiting list. But at least I have an appointment now. :D

For anyone that was interested (if anyone at all), my scans were also inconclusive. So with both tests inconclusive, she assumed I have the genetic disorder which is mild ATM. I asked what they could do for me and the response was just hormonal contraception, even though for many of the symptoms I know there is other stuff available. I'm really disappointed with my GP's response but, aside from a few pains, it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as it was in December thankfully. If it does come back severely again I'll have to get the implant. Oh joy.

Totally echoing what Han said, infact I was thinking about this last night with an issue I've been having for years. Bare with me while I explain...

Since 2007 I've been having what I refer to as this "weird thing" happen to me. It is near impossible to explain what happens and what it feels like, not just to others but even myself, as I'm unable to remember it all. But it is absolutely terrifying and feels like nothing I have ever experienced before and not human!

After it happened a few times, I Googled the symptoms as best as I could, and found something which was identical to what I'd been experiencing; Simple Partial Seizures.

There is a very good description of it here, please read (the first set of bullet points under "temporal lobes"). Except for the last 3 bullet points, I experience everything listed there:

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/seizures/focal-partial

Frightening, yes? And it doesn't end there; there are symptoms afterwards too (forgotten the proper name for it, post something or other). Mainly a very strong sense of short term amnesia, where I forget everything that's happened that day, but I can remember having the "seizure", although I never remember what the memory flashbacks were of. (Infact, during the "seizure", I struggle to recognise it; I don't know if it's a real memory, from a dream, or something I've never seen before.) And one time it happened, it wasn't just short term; I was with my first ex and we went to visit his uncle and when they were asking about my job at Thorpe, I couldn't remember what rides I worked on, or when I'd last been to work, when I was next working etc. So, so scary, I can't even explain it :(

The other thing I experience afterwards is an overwhelming tiredness and this general sad feeling, this along with the amnesia being classic post-seizure symptoms.

So, I go to my GP last year and get referred to a neurologist, who was appropriately called Dr Kok. He was one of those people that really stares in an odd way when you're explaining something and makes you feel like you're talking nonsense. Now I will admit, I find it far easier to get my point across by writing down symptoms on paper rather than verbally explaining, and considering how complicated this is, I really should have done that. I had scruffily handwritten some things but didn't spend enough time on it to give an accurate picture (but like I said, it's hard to describe, and at that point I hadn't discovered the great description I linked above!) and felt embarrassed to show him - but only because of how weird he was and how misunderstanding his face was. I normally wouldn't feel *so* awkward not to show what I'd written down. I did read off of the paper but because he made me feel like an idiot, I toned it down and described it in a different way for fear of being mocked if I truly described what I'd been experiencing. Ideally I should have had my mum with me to help me :blush: But she wasn't able to get the day off and I thought I'd be ok on my own!

So, you could say it was both mine and Kok's fault that the appointment didn't go well. But what he said at the end was truly ridiculous, this is where the whole "You assume they're right as they're a professional" thing comes in. He claimed I couldn't possibly have epilepsy as when they have seizures they always lose consciousness. This is a huge misconception among many people and something as a professional he should know is not true! My own, careful research on trusted, decent websites tells me that people can have simple partial seizures for years before they get ones where they lose consciousness.

And to finally make a cock of himself, he claimed I was having anxiety, causing these episodes. I do not have anxiety! I've even done GAD tests at my GP when I've been for depression and the highest I've scored was borderline mild! So I said to him, "So you're saying these episodes I'm having are caused by anxiety, even though I don't actually have anxiety?" He looked at me for a few seconds, gave this weird smile and said "Yes" in the most insincere tone.

Now, he did still refer me for an EEG. However the results came back normal. But again, this is where I can't help but wonder if he made the right decision; EEGs, whilst commonly being the first way to detect epilepsy, are not always accurate, and people experiencing Simple Partial Seizures can often have normal EEG results. EEGs are best used while a seizure is happening for many people, depending on the type of epilepsy they have.

Of course, I didn't say this to him, as I was surprised and pleased he actually suggested one! And my GP has said they will look into it again if it happens again, so that's something.

For now, I live in fear of when it's next going to strike :( It only happens very occasionally (so of course people tell me it's "obviously nothing to worry about" <_< ) which I am grateful for, but I can't help but think that if it happened more often or I lost consciousness, that people would take it more seriously and I'd be offered other tests to try and diagnose it! It's so horrible wondering when it's going to happen next, it really ruins the whole day; being unable to remembered what happened that day, then feeling exhausted and crap for hours after it happens, the days it happens on may as well not exist! Whenever there's a special occassion or a meet, I think "Please don't happen today!" I really hope it doesn't happen when I'm in Disney! I even think to myself sometimes, "What if this never gets sorted out? What if it happens on a once in a lifetime accession like my wedding day?" I wish I could just go private, get the other tests done (MRI scans and shizz) and find out what is going on!

I get why people don't always want to trust a professional opinion, because you do sometimes end up with doctors who just don't tell you anything, or claim you're fine when you clearly know you're not. However, when it comes to searching for symptoms and a potential diagnosis, you do have to be careful. You run the risk of seeing symptoms that are similar to your own and, because you're so desperate for an answer, you then attribute a load of other symptoms to yourself, even if you don't have them.

Now I'm not saying that's what you've done Mer, but it can happen. You appointment obviously didn't go to well, so perhaps it's worth trying again now you have a clear idea of what it could potentially be? Even if it's not that, you still have a list of symptoms that describe what you're experiencing perfectly (just going by what you've said, as I have never seen this happen to you/experienced it myself), and that could help get a diagnosis.

A few of years back I got what appeared to be an insect bite on my thigh (this was in the winter months). I ignored it (as you do), but then it grew and it became extremely painful for me to walk. It filled with pus, made my leg swell, and when I tried to get the pus out it came out mixed with blood. Eventually the amount of pus dwindled down and it was pretty much just blood coming out. By this point it looked like I had a nipple on my leg :P I went to the doctor, she swabbed it and sent it off for testing. I was given antibiotics and it cleared up (but not before I was left with a nice gaping hole in my leg, lol), however I was never actually told what they were testing for, or what the results even ended up being! Unfortunately, a couple of months later another one popped up higher up on my leg. The only good thing is that I knew what it was and got it treated straight away. Still hurt like hell though.

I did get a blood test for diabetes, but I never really understood why I was getting it. I was only 15, but they didn't even explain anything to my mum. Luckily I haven't had anymore pop up, so yeah - win. ^_^

It filled with pus, made my leg swell, and when I tried to get the pus out it came out mixed with blood. Eventually the amount of pus dwindled down and it was pretty much just blood coming out. By this point it looked like I had a nipple on my leg

TPMs sexiest female everyone.

My experience of Dr's and surgeons competence is not any better. Amongst other things having kept telling my Nan her cancer symptoms were nothing until she died and leaving things behind in my wife requiring further surgery and causing unnecessary complications we are still dealing with today. I've had a bad throat for a year and three months now, I wonder what they fob me off with next time I visit.

Challenging Dr's and getting second opinions is essential if you think they are wrong. Your health is too important.

When you have asthma anything else you go about is just 'asthma'. Having a cough that means you can't talk without coughing and you bring up so much stuff is not just asthma, it's called a chest infection. I've had enough of doctors with my eczema, it's at the point where they say try this cream with this moisturiser and I have to sit there and say I've tried it already, they don't look at your previous notes or anything. I'm just like really?!

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly annoyed how one towers worker who didn't get a backwards ticket for AP day managed to get on. I hear an email letter was faked and managed to blag it somehow because he said he worked at Towers... What if all the other people who couldn't get backwards tickets did that?! Not fair on all those that missed out!

Slightly annoyed how one towers worker who didn't get a backwards ticket for AP day managed to get on. I hear an email letter was faked and managed to blag it somehow because he said he worked at Towers... What if all the other people who couldn't get backwards tickets did that?! Not fair on all those that missed out!

A lot of people who didn't get a backwards ticket also went on it before 11am as for some reason the first timeslot was 11am, meaning between 10 and then, people were free to just go on.

I've probably ranted about this before and it's a grudge I shall forever hold no doubt.

It's the foreign workers in McDonalds and other fast-food outlets in London. When I go to my own capital city I expect to be served by an English person.

I've had this debate with many people before and they say to me it's because nobody else wants those type of jobs, which I understand. If you told someome to get a job in McDonalds, you'd be laughed off, but their wages and staff benefits aren't that much different to many other employers these days.