Rant

Theme Park bloke

I am old enough to apply, but I'm young enough for the whole process to be so much longer and complicated than it should be.

That makes no sense... I applied at their cut-off age (16) and there was no trouble... Unless you're trying to explain that you're currently 15 and due to turn 16 soon hence the unsureness about it all...

I am 15, so I cannot apply online,but I will get my national insurance number in time for work to start at chessington...So I wont have my National insurance number when applying for the jobBut I will have it when work starts.I have contacted Chessington about this, and they say that I have to use an "alternate method of appliation"

I am 15, so I cannot apply online,but I will get my national insurance number in time for work to start at chessington...So I wont have my National insurance number when applying for the jobBut I will have it when work starts.I have contacted Chessington about this, and they say that I have to use an "alternate method of appliation"

When are you 16?

I want this job more than life itself at the moment.

Seriously?You're 15 for goodness sake. Are you really telling me you want to work at a theme park, doing what will probably be little more than a bog standard job there for minimum wage(?), more than anything in the world? A job that you could most likely apply to this time next your, or in the summer. (Speaking conditional cause I don't know what department and that you're applying to)...Why not just kick back and wait till the summer? Get a job where you can probably earn a bit more money now and concentrate on school work for now. Why are people in such a hurry to grow up for goodness sake?!

^For me, working at Chessie for 3 years helped improve a lot of stuff about my life, and also improved my money situation...Some people do really want to work at theme parks and their industry, mainly because of an interest in it... Working at Chessie has certainly... opened my eyes towards the industry in general and how it's run... There's certainly something to be learned there...And of course applying for jobs atm is a bloody nightmare... I doubt I could get a part-time job right now if I ran around Stafford with CVs... Why not plump for somewhere that will take people on willingly without that much... Not sure on the word really, but hey, long story short Josh, lay off him and let him apply if he bloody well wants to...

Not sure on the word really, but hey, long story short Josh, lay off him and let him apply if he bloody well wants to...

Just giving my view on things really. I'm laying on him as it were. If he wants to work there, fine, I'm not stopping him. But why apply at the very first strike of turning 16? Why not just wait a bit, focus on school work. Yeah, getting a job isn't easy, but there's plenty of summer jobs to go around, and I'd guess getting one at Chessie isn't going to be that much harder than getting any other summer job. The point is, I just don't get why some people want to rush into jobs at the very first instant. Seize your youth as much as physically possible and all that...

Some people need the money.

Whilst I can understand this to a degree, I don't see why you need to rush into it literally at the first instance. My mum earns about £16k a year, I didn't get a job (still don't for the record due to heavy workloads of college) and I didn't really need any more money than what my mum gave to me. Yeah. when people get to college, I can understand, but rushing in at the first instance, I just don't get it...

But why apply at the very first strike of turning 16? Why not just wait a bit, focus on school work. Yeah, getting a job isn't easy, but there's plenty of summer jobs to go around

Where have you been living these last 3 years? :P And in the summer there isn't any school work, in case you'd forogtten. At least not at my school anyway.

I do it full time and I enjoy it.I enjoy what I do, who I work with, how we work together as a team, my progression from and above my current position and I've realised working with motivated people wears off on you. Yeah, it's minimum wage, yeah it's difficult sometimes but I enjoy it. If you enjoy something enough, money comes very low on the scale of importances!

Yeah. when people get to college, I can understand, but rushing in at the first instance, I just don't get it...

Why? I started working when I was in 6th form... I applied at the start of the first season I was 16 (I.e. 2007, since my birthday is August)... If you can balance the work from school and job then you can easily do both... I know I did...

Same, my birthday is in February and in May 06 I got a job. I wanted to earn money and not everyone has parents that can afford to give their children regular money. And it gave me something to do, and it was in a pet shop, I have an interest in animals...why not get a job if it interests you and gives you money? Especially in these times, the more work experience on your CV the better, (and the sooner you can earn/save money the better too) I'd say. Shows you have the motivation to work and that you're preparing yourself for full time work in later life. As Benin said, if you can balance both education and work then go for it :P

Perhaps it's just my personal preference then. I know I couldn't have gotten through my GCSEs with a part time job due to the sheer amount of work I was doing. The weekend was a saving grace to relax, not to be working even more. My mum doesn't earn that much really, yet she was able to give me enough for me to be able to do what I wanted to do / get what I wanted to get.At college, most people need as much money as possible, so I can perfectly understand people wanting jobs then. But personally, no matter what I'd want to do in the future, I'd hold back until after I've done my GCSEs before getting any jobs. Simply put, they're important, and I'd want to be fully focused on them and them alone.So yeah, in my eyes, I just can't understanding rushing into a job ASAP. But each to their own..

^You see, because of my birthday being when it is, I didn't have to worry about my GCSEs... Since I'd done them before I was 15...So I had A-Levels to contend with instead... So my points still stand... I even took several days off in Easter just to revise, so it's all a case of getting the balance you need...

Perhaps it's just my personal preference then. I know I couldn't have gotten through my GCSEs with a part time job due to the sheer amount of work I was doing. The weekend was a saving grace to relax, not to be working even more. My mum doesn't earn that much really, yet she was able to give me enough for me to be able to do what I wanted to do / get what I wanted to get.But personally, no matter what I'd want to do in the future, I'd hold back until after I've done my GCSEs before getting any jobs. Simply put, they're important, and I'd want to be fully focused on them and them alone.

We were talking about summer jobs (as were you as well actually), when you have a summer job your GCSE's are over and you don't have to worry about them anymore. And that's just lucky lucky you then, some of our parents don't have spare money to toss around to their children all the time.

We were talking about summer jobs (as were you as well actually), when you have a summer job your GCSE's are over and you don't have to worry about them anymore. And that's just lucky lucky you then, some of our parents don't have spare money to toss around to their children all the time.

Yes, we have been talking about summer jobs, but not JUST summer jobs. I think that in general, summer jobs ARE good things - I've never said they're not. Whenever a friend of mine has looked for a summer job, they've always gotten one. So yeah, for me to say there's plenty of summer jobs is wrong, but I've never known anyone who's been looking for a summer job to not eventually get one...And yeah, I am lucky. And, for the record, my mum doesn't have money to toss around, but she actually went out of her way moreso than was probably required so that I could have some money and concentrate on school work primarily.

Well lucky you then because my Dad has plenty money but I get bare minimum. I don't have a job and I'm about to be kicked out of college so consider yourself lucky. I got my first job at 15 working for 4 hours a week in a hotel, £3.90 was all I got. I had to learn to juggle GCSE's with working and then A Levels which is alot more commitment since you have to do alot of working outside.

Dear ex-best mate.I love how you won't let me have other friends, but of course you're allowed to be little miss socialite.JOG ON, DO ONE, I look forward to in about 5 years time when you're scraping **** off of the Mcdonalds toilet floors to earn a living.Grow up (oh, and while you're at it, learn your times tables below 6)K thanks.Can you believe a 15 year old girl doesnt know her 7 times tables? LOL

My dad had a decent salary, my mum was in and out of work due to various health problems (see my post in the "Problems" thread for info, it's too much to post here). My dad did help me out and my mum did when possible, but I wanted to earn my own money, I felt responsible for my own money when I became old enough to work and had the time to do so, and would've felt bad if I didn't and continued asking parents for money. They might not have minded but I know truthfully it took pressure off my mum and they were proud of me for getting a job anyway :P

Seriously?You're 15 for goodness sake. Are you really telling me you want to work at a theme park, doing what will probably be little more than a bog standard job there for minimum wage(?), more than anything in the world? A job that you could most likely apply to this time next your, or in the summer. (Speaking conditional cause I don't know what department and that you're applying to)...Why not just kick back and wait till the summer? Get a job where you can probably earn a bit more money now and concentrate on school work for now. Why are people in such a hurry to grow up for goodness sake?!

Gah, you do wind people up sometimes!I fully respect his wanting to work at chessie, I was in exactly the same situation at 15, wanting to work at the same park.I've continued to work within the parks at not too much money (5 seasons on!), but its affordable. Who cares if its minimum wage or near it? Doesn't matter. As long as you enjoy your job. And I personally love working for merlin.School is boring ****, I chose the route of working instead of education. Sure, I ain't gone far, but my job satisfaction and morale is high, and I love my life. Some people get far more from working than education anyway. Think Richard Branson etc.Jobs ain't that easy to come by - and summer jobs are even harder seeing as everyone that age is trying then. Grab them whilst you can. I fully support the 15yr old!

I totally agree that money shouldn't be an issue if you love what you do. But if you're in it just for the money, Chessie or Thorpe wouldn't be my first choice.. Granted, I was a bit narrow minded at first (ie, not considering what he wants to di with his life, etc.) but I still think that the more time you have to focus on GCSEs the better, which I would feel would be not taking a part time job. As for the whole education vs working after compulsory school argument, well, whatever you choose to do, good GCSEs are prefrable, even if it just ends up as a safety net.

and also, not all of us can live off of mummy and daddys pocket.

I find that quite offensive. Yeah, when I was at school, I lived off my mum. She gave me £10 a week, which was for me to buy what I needed / wanted (excluding breakfast lunch and dinner and school clothes). Yeah, I could have done with a bit more, and when I hit 16 I did talk about getting a job. But eventually I decided against to concentrate more on my GCSEs. Personally, I feel if I had had gotten a job, I would not have coped. Now, if I wasn't going to college, in the big wide world of work I would have gone. But instead, I went to college. Decided not to get a job till I settle into the workload and I probably won't get a job till summer. My EMA covers my travel costs, gets me lunch and what I need each week with a little bit leftover. My mum doesn't give mr money any - at my request - because I feel I have enough. So really, I don't need the money. I don't see the point in getting a job that will not relate to my future ambitions for a bit of extra money.So I do apolgise if my mum giving me some money for a couple of years is so wrong.

I totally agree that money shouldn't be an issue if you love what you do. But if you're in it just for the money, Chessie or Thorpe wouldn't be my first choice.. Granted, I was a bit narrow minded at first (ie, not considering what he wants to di with his life, etc.) but I still think that the more time you have to focus on GCSEs the better, which I would feel would be not taking a part time job. As for the whole education vs working after compulsory school argument, well, whatever you choose to do, good GCSEs are prefrable, even if it just ends up as a safety net.

We were giving him advice to wait until Summer. Summer job = GCSE'S ARE OVER. POINT INVALID.

So I do apolgise if my mum giving me some money for a couple of years is so wrong.

It's not, if she does then I'm truly very happy for you. What's wrong is that you're trying to tell someone how to live their life when you haven't taken their situation into account. Not all parents give their children money for everything, sometimes the job route is your only option for a source of income.

Dan, I think there's been a misunderstanding between us.I agree he should go for the job in the summer. It's what I adviced him to do in my very first post about all this. But everything just seems to have diverged between loads of things. In short, what I'm saying: work on GCSEs and wait till summer for the job. :PAnd yeah, I was wrong. I didn't think about personal situations for everyone and all that. All I can say to that is I was wrong and I'm sorry. I just feel that people are having a go at me for the fact my mum was able to give me money..