Rant

Theme Park bloke

I feel a bit burned by what Chris said about how "not all of us can live off of mummy and daddys pocket". Some people go through big problems in life or have too much work and therefore, cannot cope. Some people are slower at learning and completing their work than others, which is why they can't juggle a part-time job and their education.I applied to TESCO's in New Malden when I was 16 and was offered a job but because of my timetable at Sixth Form (AS), I couldn't work the hours they offered me. At 17, I didn't have the time because I was in my BTEC ND Multimedia and I was also re-taking my GCSE in English. I was juggling a lot of things including major family problems.At 18, on the second year of my Multimedia course, I had my first job at Chessington in Food & Beverage. At 19, on the first year of my BTEC ND in Business, I couldn't find many jobs around because it was the first year of the recession and the workload was quite a lot to deal with and to get used to. 2010, the second year workload was at its highest but only because I wanted to get Distinction (A-grade) in every module I did. I came out with full-marks end of the 2nd year which took its toll on me. I was also going through a medical problem, which is why I didn't go to any Thorpe Park meet-ups throughout 2010. In 2010/2011, I'm at my first year of university and so far, everything has gone great. The leap from college / sixth form to university is not that huge because I'm quite used to independent learning from my ND Business course, but there there are some notable differences, which take getting used to. I started to see a therapist from September-December for the problem which I was diagnosed with and I'm doing very-well. I'm kind-of half-way there, which is why I attended the December 2010 Winter meet-up and I'm going to apply for summer jobs. The three years, I was in College (2006-2009), I used to leave my work to the last minute but the fourth year of college (2010) and this first year of university, I've learnt to not leave things to the last minute. And it's a part of time management and preparation, which if you can become good at, you can manage your time perfectly and juggle university work, a social life and a part-time job.

Money money money. It's not that bad. Depends if you rate job satisfaction at all :P.I thought this'd be perfect for JoshC, minimum wage* seems like something you'd be able to live on, if we read your posts!*for 22+, so its pretty good for a 16yr old, especially if you compare it to working at a supermarket which will pay at the 16-17 level :P

I managed to juggle working at Chessie throughout my entire two years of College and still got Triple Distinction...Now Chris does make a valid point that not everyone can get help from parents, I am lucky in that I can (I have enough chicken and fish to last several weeks from CostCo) get help from them, but if I couldn't, then my years at Chessie would be 10x more useful than they were...It's all down to personal choice and life... But I'm certainly one to support any 15 year old actively looking for a job... Minimum wage at that age is fab (even though Chessie does not give out minimum wage, near enough 6 quid an hour last time I checked)...Again, if you can get the balance right, go straight for it... If need be hours at Chessie are easy to alter if you make friends with your TL :P

To be honest, its not about pay for me. I just really like the idea of being part of merlin. I worked there for work experiance and it was amazing, and the people there are so nice too. I got a rush from helping out a kid who had a nosebleed just because I was helping out and was part of the merlin team. Obviously, that sounds inceadibly sad...but hey, I'm on a theme park forum here! I enjoy being part of something like that, and it wouldent get in the way of my GCSE's. Ive thought ahead about how I would revise and work. But if we are talking about the pay...it sounds unbeleivebly good. I mean, truely amazing for me to get earn money for a job that I would enjoy doing.

Benin, it depends on the course you were doing, additional work load, personal problems and it also depends if you have any learning disabilities or difficulties. I didn't recieve the help and support I needed when I was doing my GCSEs and A* Levels so I didn't do as good as I could have done. Had I been diagonosed earlier (Asperger's), I'd been able to get the help I needed and grow and develop as a person and also my skills. I would have been given access to medication, additional learning support and 1-1 support with coursework.

And besides, how many people can say they've operated a rollercoaster/walked around a ride area/been harnessed walking around Nemesis ride area etc.

Point Nailed.When I was 15 I wanted to work at Chessington a hell of a lot.When I got the job when I was 16, that was a very happy time for me. Sure, I was juggling Chessington, working at Tesco and finishing A Levels but the Chessington job was magic and I was proud to work somewhere that I loved as a child. These days I know how corrupt the place is, but fair does, its all good :P

*for 22+, so its pretty good for a 16yr old, especially if you compare it to working at a supermarket which will pay at the 16-17 level :P

Not every supermarket do that. ASDA paid me when I was 16 the same rate as an adult of 40 because its "age discrimination" otherwise. I was on nearly £6 at the age of 16 and it kept going up the longer I worked there.I used to do five hours a week during my A-levels. It wasn't too much, didn't get in the way of my work but gave me some money that I could spend on what I want it. You are less likely to spend it if you have earnt it.