Rant

Theme Park bloke

:oI know, and she is also aware of the potential dangers, and the risk of getting caught. One thing I should have mentioned; she is avoiding driving as much as possible, and luckily we have three local shops, post office etc.She could replace them if she gets cheaper tyres but which wouldn't last as long, which in the long run costs more but it will obviously be better than what they are now. But she also needs the tracking or something done, which is what contributed to them wearing down so much. From what she was saying to me, she couldn't just get cheap tyres put on because the garage or whoever would be like "There's no point unless you get the tracking done because they will be worn down within a few months." Which makes sense but also seems pretty bad, surely it's best to have a car that is safe and legal to drive for a small while? Grr it's like they just want their money...oh wait, they probably do!Hopefully she will be back working in a few months anyway, the same applying to my brother and me getting a second job. So yeah, she just needs to find somewhere that will do the cheaper tyres and actually realise that she doesn't physically have the money to do the tracking.Grr it's like when the man from N Power came over to discuss paying the gas/electricity bill, and suggesting a payment plan for my mum, suggesting amounts which she doesn't physically have, and all he could say was "Well we're all in the same situation." NO NO NO!

I hate being the one my friends go to to moan or ask stuff. One of my mates likes my other mate, but she doesn't like him back. She's so shallow, cuz he's a lovely guy, and he hasn't had much luck with girls. But anyway, like, I'm caught in the middle of it all, because I can see she's going to break his heart, and he doesn't deserve it. She just hasn't given him a chance. And I can see how it's going to end up - I'm going to have to be the one to break it to him if she bottles it. I don't wanna upset him, but I know she will do it even worse than me :lol:

As I was reading that I accidentally also read your signature underneath, it looked like you wrote:''And I can see how it's going to end up - I'm going to have to be the one to break it to him if she bottles it. I don't wanna upset him, but I know she will do it even worse than me :lol:.... Meh.''

Trains, Guards, Councils and MoneyA rant by JoshC.With today being a Monday, I had to buy my weekly train ticket, as always. I go to the ticket machine, as, unsurprisingly, the ticket office is closed. Becoming a more regular occurrence at Chertsey of late. Now, thanks to my Surrey Train Fare Card that I bought at the beginning of the academic year, I get discounted fares for weekly tickets - half price / a child ticket so I thought.After easily buying it, and my unique code thing being accepted for the discount, all is well, as usual. Then, I get off at 'good' ol' Egham, and see ticket guards and inspectors blocking the exit - they're checking tickets, like they do every 2-3 weeks. Whilst others panic because they thought they could hope the journey as usual, I happily go along and get my ticket ready to show and continue my way to college. I show it, but then get pulled over to one side for a word, with the inspector taking my rail card (and ticket) from me. Apparently, I can't travel on a child ticket; my card is not valid for that type of discount - I get a third off instead. I calmly explain that I've been told I get half price off, so get a child fare in other words, as has always been the case. However, it had changed back in August to a third off. I protest my case and say how that's what college have told me and that they recommend to everyone that it's the best discount available to us, and how other inspectors have not had a problem with the child ticket, and show my other tickets and that I've bought the past couple of months without an issue. He then asks me to give him those tickets as well, to inspect them.'Well, they've just got it wrong then.' be responds. I'm, as you could tell, a bit shocked and worried by this - I always get a ticket, and always get the correct ticket. I say that I've had no trouble with it before, and have been getting that all year. He then passes me part of my rail card back, turns it over to show the T&C, and asks me to 'Show him where it says I get a child ticket with the card'. I look, and whilst it does not say I get half price fares, it doesn't say I get a third off - it just says I'm entitled to a discount, which could mean either. Seemingly a bit annoyed, he returns with 'Well, the T&C you signed to get the card will say a third off, it changed in August'. He was getting a bit rude with me, even though I've done nothing wrong other than not know of an unannounced change. He asks if I got the money to pay the fine, not even offering an upgrade on my ticket, so I ask for an appeal form instead. Though, he was really nice here, as he said he could have fined me for all the weeks I was misusing my card (£20 fine for each college week since mid-September...), though he'll only fine me £20 - gee, thanks a lot... He then asks me for something with my name and address on, though I misheard him (due to the noise of the station) and thought he asked me to 'Write my name and address on something'. When I start writing my details down on a bit of paper, he asks me what I'm doing and why I'm wasting time - I misheard him for goodness sake, and he had a go at me! I don't really want to waste my time having a form filled out, considering my first lesson for college was starting in 10 minutes, and it's about an 8 minute to college from the station, without traffic. He then fills it out wrongly, as he didn't ask for parent / guardian details (which is needed as I'm under 18), and then that was that.I don't get why there's a need to be so rude about it. I can understand that the job probably means dealing with some argumentative people, and probably isn't the most pleasant sometimes, but I made a mistake and was being as polite and helpful as I could - there's no need to be cantankerous about it. These inspectors really do annoy me - I've done nothing wrong, yet I'm being made out to be the bad guy. Seriously, what's the point in me even buying a ticket if, when I do, I get treated in the exact same manner as someone who does not? So, when I had a free during college, I checked the council's website, and the T&C I signed did not specify how much discount I was entitled to, just that it was 'a discount', which I assumed to be the half price like it was last year. After a phone call this evening, it turns out that Surrey council had changed it sneakily, without really announcing it, so no-one, including my college, knew about it. So yeah, guards and my council pee me right off. This now leaves me in quite a predicament. I get £20 a week for EMA supplement, and that's all the income I get. No extra support from the government, nor from my college following cuts. My train ticket will now cost me £14 a week, so that leaves me with £6 a week. Okay, my mum can chip in here-and-there and give me some money, but with times being tough, I feel guilty when she gives me money in honesty. Why not get a job, I assume people will say. Well, I could, but in honesty, I could not keep up the commitment of doing a few hours a week in some shop, and do all my college work. I'm stressing out enough as it is about college; I couldn't keep a job up along with college work. Some people can, some people can't - I'm just one of those people who can't. So yeah, I'm left with £6 a week to get me by, which is basically all going to be saved up for my Annual Pass next year (some will probably question my priorities here, but ah well) and the getting ready for university for next October. I know everyone is probably 'feeling the squeeze' when it comes to money, but I guess many people on here can relate to me when I say, as a student, finances are a ridiculously hard thing to even think about.Rant over.

My job have always been entitled to free rail travel as we are, whether on or off duty, expected to be security and step in where required. This has been the case for time immortal. A couple of months ago this was withdrawn and now we have to pay - so you are all less looked after of the train because, you know what, I'm not sticking myself on the line beyond what the average person would for the fun of it. I'm off duty, I'm not involved.The train companies are screwing us all over. They make the tariffs so complex there is no way of getting it right. A few months ago I was sold a ticket by their staff at the desk and, like Josh, when I got to my destination they told me it was the wrong ticket but couldn't exactly say why. I left my details with the guard and said some things to him that would make the filter go off on here and walked off. I've not heard anything since. Most of them have got less of a clue than you about the correct tickets - front them out if you know you are in the right and are not taking the piss, they will rarely push it if you go at them with confidence.

^ I've never understood removing the free travel for police. It adds extra policing onto the trains, and essentially should be treated like a ghost in the system - these people wouldn't otherwise have been on the train, so you're not physically losing revenue, yet you're getting an amazing service from it. It's ridiculous for them to have "priced" it up. As obviously if people paid, they wouldn't get half as much travel.Winds me right up when people value free items, like when companies give you free benefits which cost zero to them, but then decide to remove it because of the potential revenue lost (even though they'll never, ever make it).The only time I ever argue with people is if I've done it before and it's been allowed countless times, and then be challenged by it. Confidence is there, and then you'll usually win. I do completely agree that ticketing is far too confusing, and that the whole changing names of the tickets have not helped (there's now 3 different offpeak ticket prices for my line, for example), gah. Just do what grand central does, and make it clear, easy and concise. Not difficult. Could even boost revenue.

^ I've never understood removing the free travel for police. It adds extra policing onto the trains, and essentially should be treated like a ghost in the system - these people wouldn't otherwise have been on the train, so you're not physically losing revenue, yet you're getting an amazing service from it. It's ridiculous for them to have "priced" it up. As obviously if people paid, they wouldn't get half as much travel.

Glad it's not just us that thinks that, we can get a bit blinkered to the outside world in our job.Try explaining this logic to C2C. I'm on the train a lot less then I used to be!!

Omg Jack, I was going to go, then my mate's mum said the same as yours. Tut. On a more serious note, I hate racists. People at school seem to be unable to see past the fact my boyfriend is Vietnamese. They keep making comments, using all sorts of racist remarks. Anytime I mention him, the fact he's not white is always brought up. It's seriously upsetting, as the people doing it most are in my friend group. It's not even banter anymore, they've taken it way past the point where I can shrug it off. Thing is, I can't tell anyone in my group, because when said remarks were made, everyone in the group laughed and ignored it. If I confront the girl properly, she'll play the "I didn't realise I was doing it" card, and the group will ditch me. I don't know what to do. I just find it ridiculous that his ethnicity is such a problem for them, as I'd never dream of even bringing up their boyfriend's nationality.

Type in 'my tram experience' on Youtube, I'll let you decide on real racism then... But in all seriousness, even if you feel you can't, try to shrug it off. I know I'm not in your position and I can't see things from your POV but I use a racist bit of bant to this Chinese girl in my year. She looks completely English and you wouldn't know she's Asian, but for every other comment she makes, I find a way to incorporate her nationality into it. don't mean it and I wouldn't dare make any discriminate remark to anybody other than her because I know she takes a joke. Maybe you'r friends are doing that? I'm not at all racist but I do take the mickey a bit with people I can tell will take it to the chin. If you try your best to ignore it, your friends will stop and then you won't have to put up with it at all.

My friend has been going out with her boyfriend for a little while now. At first things were fine, but now I've noticed she's changed. Whenever she's with him, which is pretty much all the time because we go to the same school, none of us friends get a look in, at least, not really. She'll occasionally throw us the odd comment, but she's far too focused on him. Today, for instance, she completely ignored me when I said goodbye, despite the fact I was practically shouting at her, because she was too busy talking to her boyfriend. I'm all for her being in a happy relationship and all, I wish them well, but she shouldn't be dropping friends like that! Also, it's started to get to the point where she is very vague about making plans on non-school days just in case he asks to do something with her.