MTDP

MikeC

Well, it would mean relocating it again and, a few yards off of it's original location (as the fish at least). It's not worth it and there's nothing wrong with it being so close to The Swarm, is there? :wub:

I meant if they were ever to remove it, they could always move it there instead because IMO it's their best kids ride.I know they most likely wouldn't anyway because it's a waste of money but.. It would look a lot better coming over the lifthill to see a simialrly themed ride instead of a flying fish :o

I just had an idea, I'm surprised they haven't planned a removal/movement of flying fish considering how close it is to The Swarm and how they could potential put a similarly themed ride there.They could always move it here?Posted Image

Issue with ANY ride being put there it poses major H&S risks as it would be built in the middle of Stealth's ride area. I'm sure the kids that ride Flying Fish wouldn't want to be smacked in the head by flying coins & phones.

• 1 month later...

Not sure where to post this but..Did anyone else notice them doing landscaping/infilling in the spot for the 2015 coaster behind rumba rapids already? :P

Infilling is a long and delicate process, they need to give the newly in-filled land time to settle and compact, and every now and then add another layer on top.

Yep, what Diesel said. You can't just dump loads of mud and earth into a lake and expect it to stand. Creating islands is a process which can take anywhere up to five years to complete, and that's before any construction on rides can take place. And not forgetting that with Thorpe, they have to maintain a land:water ratio (forgotten/was never told exact figures) so if they build new land somewhere, they can't just pump the lake water away and deposit it into the English Channel - they have to flood other areas; they have to displace the water and maintain a certain amount of it for whatever reasons.If you look at Thorpe in Google Earth, you can see they'd already finished Island C and started infilling Island A as far back as late 2008 (Saw's not even finished, if you look at where that should be on the same aerial shot). Island A is now much bigger than how it appears in that four year-old shot; it's quite substantially bigger than Island C actually.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, sorry for the bump, but I've been lurking for a while and thought I had something vaguely valuable to contribute - not sure where it fits..

Basically, my sister attended one of those lecture-school-thingys at Thorpe on Monday, and she was told how Swarm hadn't bought in as many people as they expected (basically, it flopped) so all the hotel money is going to Legoland in America (whaa?) and it's unlikely we'll get a 2015 coaster. Also, they plan to demolish Neptune's Beach, Wet Wet Wet, and Depth Charge (in that order) for new stuff.

I seriously doubt the Swarm has flopped, there are many factors as to why not as many people have come this year:

• The Olympics
  • One of the worst summers in 100 years
  • The ticket prices going up up up plus car parking of course

Thorpe will have to do a major new coaster in 2015/2016 as you have to remember Thorpe is geared towards thrill seekers, so if they don't get something new and bigger every 3-4 years then their main target audience will go elsewhere or simply not go at all.

If anything the lack of numbers should make Thorpe have a long think and what they can do to improve things:

• Tidy up the park, it looks a mess clean up the litter, splash some paint, the toilets are not the best, Chessington has very clean and well maintained toilets
  • Reliability of the rides has been appalling this year
  • Queue times too long (mainly due to single train operation on main rides)
  • The focus being on club nights, then events like the one at Easter and the Fireworks being cancelled
  • Also for me you never get a consistent atmosphere or experience when you go, either everything works, the music and effects are all working and you have a great time, or you start making a list of things which don't work and should and have not worked in a long time. You also get very annoyed when on Colossus they send out one train completely empty, but only fill up one. Then when the queue builds up, they then use the second train.
  • For me Thorpe it seems to all be about money money money, sell as many fast tracks as you can, make sure you get car parking, and squeeze as much cash out of you as possible with very little in return.
Above is my opinion, but get on the this forum, Trip Advisor and TP's Facebook page to see what others are saying, most of the complaints are saying the same thing.

I'm happy to drive 160 miles to Alton Towers, but I wouldn't do the same for Thorpe, thankfully its only 20 miles down the road for me.

The next large investment for Thorpe coaster-wise will be 2016. On the Snoozebox documents as seen below (some people and their spare time...) you can see how Thorpe are "prioritising [their] accommodation strategy".

Posted Image

Very interesting to hear about the planned demolitions of the existing ride (if they are true). That whole area of the park has been neglected of investment for years and really only serves Thorpe when Fright Nights roll around. Still no indication of Storm Surge's removal though...

Big if on the economy front...

And it's not surprising that they would consider removing Neptune's Beach, it is an awful area and is completely at odds against the park's new 'look'...

And the day that Storm Surge is removed will be a happy day, 99% of people seem to agree that it is probably the most pointless addition to a UK theme park in a while...

And the day that Storm Surge is removed will be a happy day, 99% of people seem to agree that it is probably the most pointless addition to a UK theme park in a while...

Agree with that, but the GP seem to like it, I can see Neptunes / Depth charge going and Storm Surge would have even more of a point to it though.

Yeah, even thought SS isn't the best ride by a long shot, it seems the park is more eager to recover the vast space covered by the equally non-fitting old stuff, and as previously mentioned, SS would actually cater to more people then, due to rides with a similar point being removed. My only concern is the Fish may be a little out of place with the ride removals..