Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

I come from Croydon, so considering the amount of stick that gets, I'm allowed to take the mick out of other places... Especially Tackpool...

Having lived in both I think it's fair to say theres marginal differences between the state of either or. Although I fail to see what you think gives you the right to take the "mick out of other places". Just because you don't specifically like one place, doesn't mean you need to slag it off. Like I said, some people happened to be born in "Tackpool", and regardless of wether those people live there now or not, you're still causing offence based on where people are born, live, or have family living just because your own perspective of a place isn't the greatest.

One of those topics where you should keep your thoughts to yourself, yeah? I'm sure you'll be capable of it one day Benin ;)

Like I said, some people happened to be born in "Tackpool", and regardless of wether those people live there now or not, you're still causing offence based on where people are born, live, or have family living just because your own perspective of a place isn't the greatest.

Plus if you're born in Blackpool you are probably within walking distance of the UK's best park! ;)

Funnily enough the new promenade area doesn't look too bad... And the pleasure beach is probably the nicest area in Blackpool as it looked really nice last year in comparison to my visit in 2008! I'm actually planning to visit Blackpool this year - not really bothered how much of a 'shambles' people consider the place to be, I have never done the dungeons, tower, Sea life or madame Tussaud's up there so going to make use of my pass, as well as can't wait to go to sandcastle water park again as they have some new slides since I've been in 2008, and hopefully visit the pleasure beach again as the big one was closed last year due to high winds! Admittedly it's not the nicest of places, but I live near bath and people think its posh, when in reality you go there and there are so many homeless people, and people who appear to be on a lower income it's shocking!

Having lived in both I think it's fair to say theres marginal differences between the state of either or. Although I fail to see what you think gives you the right to take the "mick out of other places". Just because you don't specifically like one place, doesn't mean you need to slag it off. Like I said, some people happened to be born in "Tackpool", and regardless of wether those people live there now or not, you're still causing offence based on where people are born, live, or have family living just because your own perspective of a place isn't the greatest.

One of those topics where you should keep your thoughts to yourself, yeah? I'm sure you'll be capable of it one day Benin ;)

As mentioned, you're offended over someone calling Blackpool tacky? That's the whole point and charm of the place...

Might as well 'offend' everyone whilst I'm at it, Reading is a rough hole, Leek is dull, and Newcastle is full of drunkards...

OH MY GOD BENIN, you had to pick Reading.

Sorry but with this debate I'm just going to end this one here and say with the current economy some places have become down trodden and 'Tacky' to voice ones opinion is not a crime. It's fact that a fair bit of England is not very nice anymore. It's gotten to a point where you can't get offended because you may as well get offended by various countrys calling England a sh!thole. But you don't.

Now then, I've never been to Blackpool, been Southport I believe but never Blackpool. I must do that one day.

Sorry but with this debate I'm just going to end this one here and say with the current economy some places have become down trodden and 'Tacky' to voice ones opinion is not a crime. It's fact that a fair bit of England is not very nice anymore. It's gotten to a point where you can't get offended because you may as well get offended by various countrys calling England a sh!thole. But you don't.

The point of it was the fact it was a completely un-called for an un-related comment in the first place, which has been allowed to spiral out of control. My point remains, you don't need to slag a place off just because someone's personal opinion is that they dislike it.

Anyway moving on to something that might actually add something to discussion would be nice, as Tommy attempted before...

Yes it is tacky, that's what makes Blackpool, Blackpool! Its not dirty and scummy like some seaside resorts! Pleasure Beach has to be one of my favourite parks. So much variety for the whole family and if I lived right by it Il probably go every fortnight! Just hope they don't remove Ice Blast, such an insane ride!

The point of it was the fact it was a completely un-called for an un-related comment in the first place, which has been allowed to spiral out of control. My point remains, you don't need to slag a place off just because someone's personal opinion is that they dislike it.

Anyway moving on to something that might actually add something to discussion would be nice, as Tommy attempted before...

I can't physically ignore this because you contradict yourself by replying to just my paragraph and then go on to say that we need to move on? How about you tried not to reply to it? If you payed attention I tried to move the topic on aswell but yet you seem to ignore that just because you feel the need to reply and have the last word? I'm sorry but that post alone makes me speechless.

BPB isn't tacky at all, it just happens to be in Blackpool (can't comment on this, haven't really been anywhere in Blackpool apart from attractions). Yes BPB used to be tacky, but it's had huge overhauls and facelifts in places and other small touches here and there, it's now the nicest looking park of the lot!

Well I wouldn't say nicest looking park (The towers across the lake is the most beautiful IMO), but it definately isn't tacky inside, outside on the seafront on the other hand....

Well I wouldn't say nicest looking park (The towers across the lake is the most beautiful IMO), but it definately isn't tacky inside, outside on the seafront on the other hand....

Depends how you look at it - I don't really go to theme parks for nice views, but presentation of rides and other facilities in the park are vital IMO and some aspects of Alton Towers let it down, for instance the toilets.

But yeah, I wasn't really talking about scenic views - AT wins easily for that.

Can I just add something to this debate. The Kingy and I went to Blackpool last summer for the Big Dippers 90'th. It was one of the best evenings I have had for a while even though the park did rip us off (we bought our tickets in advance, if we would have bought on the day they would have been 15 quid cheeper).

The park, over the past few years, has been the cleanest it has been in the whole of my life. The rest of the town has tacky areas and non tacky areas. The promanade has been done extremely nicely. Whereas, on the other side of the road, a lot of the walk between the Pleasure Beach and the Tower has quite a few run down hotels.

As a resort, Blackpool has historically catered for those people who cant afford to go abroad for thier holls. A large percentage of these were from my own home town of Stoke. When the pottery industry in Stoke went into decline, the amount of money people had from here to spend at Blackpool also went into decline. The problem was Blackpool was still geared up to expect the nurmal multitude of potters. There became quite a competition over rooms and room proces. (You can now get a B&B for £15 per night and to be honest, the place wasnt that bad)

Is Blackpool tacky? Blackpool aimed at a certain clientel. Those from working class environments. The problem is TV has now painted into the minds of all people no matter of class, the X factor view of the world. 40 years ago when I was a kiddy, someone singing on the stage there just for you, was deemed the hight in class. Nowadays, the TV has shown everyone what a world class performance should be, so you judge by that, you set your expectations by that, the Blackpool bar singer now sounds poor, not because they are, Because my expectations are much much higher. Do I think that Blackpool is tacky, a little bit, but I think Vegas is as tacky. Do I think Blackpool hasn't moved fast enough with the times, Definately.

Will I be going to Blackpool this year - Of course.

I think he is implying more of the general area, he might be talking about the theme park, although I wouldn't really call towers that run down, more thorpe and chessie. Anyway back on topic, as this will turn in to BPB argument mkII, I can see them just leaving it to rot until they rip the whole thing out, which is a shame.

This. What about Blackpool?

Looks like a pig stye though!

I can't think of the last time Merlin built something that wasn't based around a ride and was just a nice thing for the park to have. The fountains at Blackpool come under a lot of attack but they are scenically nice. Merlin don't do that. In fact, aside from Oblivion, I don't think there's a single ride that has properly come under refurbishment with Merlin. I'm not even bothering to include Scorpion Express here as it seems unless the ride has condemned theming, the rides are just left to their own devices. Blackpool has problems but the work it has done on Revolution, Big Dipper and Valhalla is miles beyond Merlins work.

Looks like a pig stye though!

Out of interest, when was the last time you went there? In the past few years it's had major overhauls on a lot of rides and across the park, it's cleaner than any other park I've been to.

Have you visited recently? In the past 5 years or so they've put a lot of effort into modernising and cleaning up the park, and now it's one of the best presented parks in the UK - certainly far less run down than Towers or Chessington.

Agreed.