Chessington General Discussion

Ash

Vampires queue seems to be getting worse every year. They need that third second train back badly.

Everything seems to suck at Chessington right now. I'm supped to be going in a couple of weeks, wondering whether to hold off until later in the season when they've pulled their finger out.

I hope I get on some rides tomorrow. Sometimes I've just been in on a flying visit. I've gone in, rode about 3 rides, had a bite to eat or drink, and then gone within an hour or 2.

Sometimes I don't mind if I don't get on anything, walking around and checking things out is good enough.

Tomorrow, rammed or not, I will try the Burger Kitchen and deliver my verdict!

Easter sunday will have a few gypsies on park, dunno how many but they are good fun.

It seems like they've removed the top rocks from the tunnel, so they could potentially be removing the rest of the rocks.. or they might just wait until closed season to rip it down, and hopefully rebuild it at the same time.

It depends whether they can remove the rock without affecting the dragon. The actual head is a separate feature that can be removed and stored if necessary, but the body might be attached to the rocks, I'm not sure. Judging by that photograph, it is only the rock that needs to be destroyed.

Strange how only the Bayon faces and rock have visibly rotted but the buddha and dragon seem fine after 26 years, when I thought they were all fabricated from the same GRP (perhaps different strength reinforcements?). Then again the dragon did get repainted every other year and the Buddha also did at some point, it wasn't always such a bright green; maybe that has something to do with their longevity. The Bayon faces were only repainted once I think, in 2005, by which point they were already damaged. The lift mountain would have been the first to go because it had that waterfall running through it for years.

OK, so I've been in this afternoon, see my report in the Chessington Trip Reports topic.

I asked staff on Peeking Heights about what is happening to Dragon Falls. Simple answer really, it's not up to Merlin's standards, they didn't confirm about any rocks returning or more features being removed or modified. I then asked about the RMT, once again it's not up to Merlin's standards. So then this made me ask "Is this what the 24-month investment is about, just these 2 rides, is anything else due to change in the park?" They answered "No, just Dragon Falls and RMT, everything else is up to standards."

I wandered off wondering if there was more they weren't telling me. Surely just these 2 rides cannot take 2 years to modify?! We'll find out I guess.

What I hope is happening/ Chessngton will revitalise ageing rides to their former glory (or near it) and they will look excellent again.

What I expect to happen/ Dragon falls will receive a minor repaint with only a dragon and lone Buddha remaining will mine train will be out in the open completely.

Asking Rides and Attractions Hosts/Operators is not a way to actually find out any information. They most likely had no idea what to say so just agreed with you that it 'wasn't up to Merlin standard'.

This, so damn much...

If you're gonna go on the hunt for actual info, front of line staff are not the place to go, because they get told absolutely nothing bar the minimal info required (I.e. Runaway and Falls will be closed for the forseeable future, yada yada)...

Don't bother. It doesn't matter who you ask, you will given the corporate line. They aren't going to tell you they let it all rot so was unsafe, are they? It is also very doubtful they even know to what extent they will be replaced or when at this stage.

From CWoA Twitter:

The cold weather has returned to Chessington & as a result Dragon's Fury, Vampire, Safari Skyway and Rattlesnake are currently unavailable.

Does cold weather really cause a Wild Mouse not to operate?? I'm sure if you were to go to any other park in the UK with a Wild Mouse right now in these cold weather conditions it would be open. I think how Stealth and other Thorpe coasters operating in sleet / light snow shows how Chessington are being a bit too over-cautious yet again here... Unless it is literally tipping it down with snow..?

:wacko::blink:

I don't think any other park in the UK does have a Wild Mouse anymore (bar Blackpool, but as that's made of wood, different situation altogether)...

Sure someone's who worked on Rattlesnack can give us a fuller answer as to why it closes in the cold, as Vamps and Fury are pretty standard (along with Skyway in any form of crap weather)...

Well I know this is a different kind of coaster but at eastcote funderpark they have a spinning wild mouse and I think that is operating fine. I am not 100% sure though so if anyone knows just give a shout :) I don't see why rattlesnake cannot be opened but at the end of the day it is chessie's choice and we can't do anything about it!

Sure someone's who worked on Rattlesnack can give us a fuller answer as to why it closes in the cold, as Vamps and Fury are pretty standard (along with Skyway in any form of crap weather)...

It's motor just won't start is all. The ride would be able to make it fine as it's pretty fast ride and not very trimmed.

Chessington are trialing a new meal deal.

Try our great NEW food package and save up to £6.95*

Our Family Meal Deal allows you to grab a meal (including drinks) for each member of your family for just £5 per person.

Offer only available when booked in advance

Valid for one use 30th March – 27th April

Only available to families of 2 - 6 people

PLUS 5 free donuts per transaction.

Sounds like a good idea if you want to budget your trip!

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion