Chessington General Discussion

Ash

As much as the quality of the food is improving at Chessington and all of the other attractions that Merlin operates, why is it that the individual themes of some of the larger eateries such as the restaurant in Transylvania are being diluted when they become rebranded?

I don’t think that they are. We are focusing on better quality food and service in standard formats across the Merlin Entertainments Group. While all will benefit from more unique theming over time, they are a considerable step forward from high street style Burger Kings and Pizza Huts.

IMG_1755.JPG

You can't just remove nearly all of the theming over many years and serve poor food then say you haven't/don't. Has he even been in there?

Other than that a decent and seemingly honest interview, without the PR speak the info is usually buried in. Was glad to see him fairly shoot down whoever it was that claimed there had been a massive thrill decline, seems to be said so much and is totally untrue.

Shame it seems that is it for fright nights, no hint of any hours extension coming.

Chessie will naturally have a lower high level of expenditure. It barely gets any guests when compared to the other parks. Why spend when you don't get the same returns?

Because the reason for them not getting the same returns might be because they are not spending.

(I know they built Zufari, but I can't see it bringing many more people to the park like a new rollercoaster would, especially when it's not even that good...)

The big problem for Chessington is during term time, their main target guests are at school, so this produces 0 min queues during term time and very big queues at weekends, where as the other parks have a steady stream of guests during the week.

But on the bright side they have got the 5 million upgrade thingy going on too

For me I can fully see why school trips would be beneficial to you children, get he kids in to learn about the animals, put them on a few rides and they will all be asking their parents to come back for more and more. Get them hooked at a young age and you have people wanting to come back again and again.

Chessington are trying with the pushchair pass etc, but I do wonder how they make any money during the week when it is so empty.

No what I don't get is how a school trip to Thorpe Park can be educational....

Chessington must have a much lower level of revenue than Thorpe, this probably explains the downturn in investment? Fast tracks probably are one factor but gate figures and general expenditure must also count. I'm guessing that families spend less than teens/ groups of friends who are usually just funding themselves and not a whole family. Chessington must also have to spend quite a lot over the winter maintaining the animal enclosures, food etc.

There's a massive issue with the whole 'park doesn't make money so we wont invest in it' train of thought, as it causes massive stagnation and continues the trend... Actual investment in a park can completely change it and cause an influx of revenue (I.e. Thorpe)...

And families spend more than other groups... Because kids...

If Chessie got more investment and some ability to build quality things rather than average, it would be in a better situation... That simple...

That looks so cool. And frightening.

Actually people really shouldn't be so upset about the mine being removed. This should have happened years ago when the problem first started, rather than letting it turn horrifically ugly.

Merlin have already said they are going to replace what they have removed next year if that is any reassurance? At least it's all 'part of the plan'.

Merlin have already said they are going to replace what they have removed next year if that is any reassurance? At least it's all 'part of the plan'.

All part of the plan that Merlin cooked up at the last minute when they realised that they needed to get rid of the theming.

I really wish Chessington wasn't one of those places I loved going regardless of the state of the park. Because then it would be easy for me to have not visited this year and wait till they sorted themselves out for next year...

Not really, I'm pretty sure Chessington/Merlin have wanted to renovate these rides for years. And if Nick Varney's reply is anything to go by, the final decision and funding was given almost half a year go.

Of course if their idea of theme 'replacement' turns out to be a two dimensional drawing of a cave printed on MDF then I'll give up being optimistic!

I seen somewhere, think it was on the Chessington Website where you could submit an idea for a retheme of Dragon Falls (as it was stated in the interview that the ride would be redone for 2014 opening rather than leaving it closed now), but it needs to be kept in mind that its situated in Mystic East. At least this backs up that it's going to be getting some sort of retheme/refurb for 2014, but am I the only one that thinks it is going to be hard to think of another theme that fits in with Mystic East!

I found where I seen it, on chessington's website http://www.chessington.com/updates/

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion