Phill

What is your orientation?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. What is your orientation?

• Straight
    • Gay
    • Bisexual
    • Unsure

Please tell me you don't ACTUALLY believe this...

I believe that it is the best theory we have at this time. But in 500 years time, that theory could easily be wrong with better technology, etc. etc. Just like how people believed the world was flat - and I too would have believed it had I lived in that time. But, as technology improved, the theory was rubbished. Who's to say it won't happen again?

And you point out how homosexuality is less common than IBS, yet homosexuality is more widely brought up. That exactly proves the point that homosexuality is being made a way bigger issue than it actually is, a point I've been trying to get at!

You go to a doctor to help relieve the pain of IBS. You can't go to the Doctor and get drugs to help with homosexuality. The comparison with IBS is absolutely absurd Will. Would you prefer all us gayers to be quiet then Josh? We'll stop making our lives an issue and get back to the really important stuff like drugs and alcoholism..Or how about we will stop making making clubs, help groups when society becomes even more accepting, or when people don't call it a "gay issue" anymore.

Er, this...Posted ImageNotice how round it is?

Man from 500 years ago:"Notice how we never fall off the earth. It must be flat."

Would you prefer all us gayers to be quiet then Josh? We'll stop making our lives an issue and get back to the really important stuff like drugs and alcoholism..

Homosexuality is a part of every day life in the modern society which as a whole is generally a whole lot more accepting of it. Yet it's made out to be this huge problem by most people. People are gay. People are straight. It's that simple. Yes, a minority of people don't like it, but is there a need to make it a bigger deal than what it is? People don't like a lot of things, doesn't mean that those issues will be taken to such a huge scale.

Man from 500 years ago:"Notice how we never fall off the earth. It must be flat."

Gravity.

Homosexuality is a part of every day life in the modern society which as a whole is generally a whole lot more accepting of it. Yet it's made out to be this huge problem by most people. People are gay. People are straight. It's that simple. Yes, a minority of people don't like it, but is there a need to make it a bigger deal than what it is? People don't like a lot of things, doesn't mean that those issues will be taken to such a huge scale.

Dude, these groups are there to support people who are of the 'gay community', if you're not part of this community, then it shouldn't affect you. So, please leave this be :rolleyes:

That a direct quote then? Seriously, just stop... I can't even be arsed to produce decent arguements anymore cos you just seem so narrow-minded on the matter that it seems that these groups aren't doing a good thing... Which they ARE!!!

Gravity.Dude, these groups are there to support people who are of the 'gay community', if you're not part of this community, then it shouldn't affect you. So, please leave this be :rolleyes:

Which could easily be disproved in however many years into the future.Fair enough. :D

Seriously, just stop... I can't even be arsed to produce decent arguements anymore cos you just seem so narrow-minded on the matter that it seems that these groups aren't doing a good thing... Which they ARE!!!

I'm not narrow-minded on the matter; just having my opinion and sticking to it I understand and accept others' views, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with them. I don't think the groups aren't doing a good thing, I just don't think there's a need for so many. And I'm fine to drop this argument also. Simply gave my opinion; just like everyone else.

1. Homosexuality is not a part of everyday life.2. People are gay. People are straight. It's not that simple. What about bisexuals, transgenders, bi-curious?3. People don't like a lot of things, doesn't mean that those issues will be taken to such a huge scale. Yes it does. You are either incredibly narrow minded or extremely ignorant and clearly have no idea how offensive your comments actually are.Anyway, kind of relevant to the discussion going on, this kind of positive survey results show that maybe people making groups and making the gay voice known is having a positive response, despite JoshC's hating...

The BBC has published the results of a major study into its portrayal of lesbian, gay and bisexual people.The internal research, conducted with gay and straight people, found that lesbian and bisexual people in particular feel underrepresented in the broadcaster's programmes.It also found that one in five people is uncomfortable with seeing gays and lesbians on television.The corporation began the research last April, after a series of unfortunate incidents in which it was accused of sanctioning homophobia.The most notorious of these was an online debate titled "Should homosexuals face execution?", while another was an offensive segment on the bisexual actress Lindsay Lohan.The BBC was also criticised for allowing Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles to mock gay people, while a recent Stonewall report found that only 44 seconds of 39 hours of footage portrayed gay people in a positive and realistic light.Today's research was the culmination of audience research with 2,000 people and a public consultation which received more than 9,000 responses.Gay and straight people were consulted, including some who were described as being "uncomfortable" with any portrayal of lesbian, gay and bisexual people.The vast majority of respondents (70 per cent) thought that there is insufficient portrayal of lesbian, gay and bisexual people across the BBC, although 37 per cent of LGB people rated the content they did see as good. However, 24 per cent said it was poor.The opinions of heterosexual people were detailed extensively in the research. The majority were comfortable with portrayals of gay people, although they were less likely to be concerned about positive and realistic depictions.However, just over one in ten of all respondents thought that there was too much portrayal of gay people on the BBC. Eighteen per cent were 'uncomfortable' or 'very uncomfortable' about seeing gay people on television.LGB respondents said they wanted to see more depictions of lesbians and bisexual people on the BBC, along with fewer stereotypical portrayals of gay men.They cited news as an important area, saying that care should be taken to ensure people's sexuality was mentioned only when necessary.In drama, they said they wanted to see realistic storylines around gay and lesbian relationships, albeit ones which did not just revolve around characters' sexual orientation.LGB respondents pointed to the need for clarity in comedy which references gay people. They said that comedy scenes in which jokes were made at the expense of LGB people could be seen as unchallenged homophobia.The results of the survey will be distributed across the BBC with editorial chiefs asked to look at the results and report back changes.Amanda Rice, the BBC's head of diversity, said: “The publication of this very significant piece of work sends a clear signal to all our licence fee payers that the BBC is committed to meaningful engagement with all audiences."Not only is this a key priority within our diversity strategy, it is also one of the best ways we can continue to learn about what the UK's diverse communities want and expect of the BBC.”The report was welcomed by gay charity Stonewall, which has criticised the BBC in the last two years.Chief executive Ben Summerskill said: "These findings confirm those of Stonewall research in recent years which show that both gay and heterosexual licence-payers want to see more realistic, incidental representations of gay people on their TV screens."We recognise that the BBC has taken some steps forward in recent years and we’re very pleased that it now intends to build on that progress."

Could I just ask one more thing?Could someone explain how exactly I've been offensive please? I don't mind of it be a post or a PM, but no offence was intended and I genuinely cannot see where I've been offensive. Then, I will apologise where to everyone for who I caused offense to and make sure I do not repeat the same mistake again.Thank you :rolleyes:

That was a theory, it is a fact that the Earth is round because of many scientific reasons, but you can get the jist of most of these quite quickly if you LOOK AT THE PICTURE.

Which could easily be disproved in however many years into the future.

No believe me, there are many people saying this and that about Gravity but it really couldn't, please don't make me go into it in this topic. Bah off topic Physics rant, I'll be quiet now. :rolleyes:

That was a theory, it is a fact that the Earth is round because of many scientific reasons, but you can get the jist of most of these quite quickly if you LOOK AT THE PICTURE. No believe me, it really couldn't.Bah off topic Physics rant, I'll be quiet now. :rolleyes:

Science is inductive and only shows everything to be very likely, not fact. Science can never be 'fact' - but rather give us reason to believe the result of the theory is the most possible conclusion.Off topic Philosophy rant :D

Science is inductive and only shows everything to be very likely, not fact. Science can never be 'fact' - but rather give us reason to believe the result of the theory is the most possible conclusion.Off topic Philosophy rant :rolleyes:

Please don't make me start giving you Physics lectures :D. Oh well...Yes there are some areas which Science has yet to prove, but you were picking on Gravity which is what got me. We see the Sun most days right? (when it isn't cloudy) Of course we do, it's because of Gravity... without it Earth and all the other planets would just keep heading in a straight line. Need a diagram?Posted ImageI'd quite happily write you out some lovely equations which prove theories like this but once again, this is maybe not the right time or place. Philosophy is very interesting sometimes, other times it's a bit silly, especially when bozo's try and claim they know better than already pretty well proved theories. Moral of story, THE EARTH IS ROUND.Or I could be wrong and life could all be a lie. Trololol. EDIT: God how did this happen? :D

Oooh, Physics lectures are fun. :PYeah, I agree Philosophy is silly at times - but after what I've been taught in Philosophy thus far, I really do question if we can 'know' anything. Knowledge in itself is rather difficult to define and I think that while we can believe and justify such theories - like gravity and earth's roundness - we cannot actually 'know' that they are fact, but instead believe that we know. Even my Physics teacher doesn't think Science is fact - just about the most justifiable theories.So yeah, justify the theory withas many equations as you like and I'll use some old bozo's theory to say it is a bunch of lies made to think you know... that you know something? :)This is a pretty amazing tangent from what we started from! :rolleyes:

Could I just ask one more thing?Could someone explain how exactly I've been offensive please? I don't mind of it be a post or a PM, but no offence was intended and I genuinely cannot see where I've been offensive. Then, I will apologise where to everyone for who I caused offense to and make sure I do not repeat the same mistake again.Thank you :)

You said support groups are wrong. Dude just because your not gay you shouldnt be stupid enough to realise people like me need support to come out of the closet, probably one of the toughest challenges I've ever had to endure.

You said support groups are wrong. Dude just because your not gay you shouldnt be stupid enough to realise people like me need support to come out of the closet, probably one of the toughest challenges I've ever had to endure.

I didn't mean to say that - but unfortunately that's how it has been taken and all I can do is apologise for any offence caused. I won't go into what I actually meant to say as it'll probably do more harm than good. I fully agree such groups are good and do help people coming out and deal with problems they face and I'll leave it at that. Cheers for the explanation Ricky :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11446034My opinion is that people need to be more respecting towards eachother. We wouldn't be in this mess in the first place (aka small clubs of doom :) ) if that was the case.

^ That's actually horrible. I'm in an all-girls school, and only one girl in my year has come out, and tbh she wasn't treated the same in school afterwards. I could never come out in my school, there is so much pressure to have the 'hottest' boyfriend etc, and if you aren't 'normal' then you'd be definitely treated differently. A couple of friends have told me they'd always be there for me if anything happened, but I just think where I live it just isn't seen that people are bi/homosexual.Don't know if this really makes sense, but just some thoughts I've had today.

I'm just gonna add my 2 cents in here cause I feel I have a right to tbh. I go to one of the 'gay clubs' as people call it around my area. There's only one in Reading. If I was to sit down and talk to the people in there and ask them if it has helped them, pretty much all would say yes. Why? Because it's a place to get together where people won't be discriminated against. If anything I feel hurt that we have to meet up basically at a youth centre where no one would even guess that it was a 'gay club'. As for teaching them from a young age, there is a group of people trying to teach secondary age kids about the past 50 years of LGBT history. It's oddly enough called Re-writing LGBT history. I'm part of this and it's alot harder than people realise. You have to think about what you put in and could it possibly put a teacher in danger? How would most kids react to a bit of information. Section 28 was the hardest part to do, how do you describe years of damage to the LGBT community in a non-biased way? Oh and at TPKabz who once again jumped in without reading posts correctly, I am Bi-sexual and have a preference to girls so yes I do have a right to say I'm a lesbian as well I prefer girls.