Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

• 2 weeks later...

Just come back from Alton's first fireworks display of the weekend.It was excellent. I would say it was *slightly* (and I mean, a whisker) weaker than the 2010 show - but only due to the fact that the Th13teen section in last years show was that good. The sheer number if fireworks this year was far higher, and the lasers they were using were amazing. The Towers themselves also looked stunning afterwards! It's one of the prettiest sights you ever will see.Some rides were closed from 6 until 8pm due to the display.The running order was as follows:18:00 - Pre show music begins on the lawns18:45 - Fire jugglers on several raised platforms around the lawns, louder pre show music.18:55 - Laser pre show19:00 - Main fireworks19:25 - Fireworks end.21:00 - Ride close22:00 - Monorail closeIt was really busy, but Alton had the following in operation to assist crowd/traffic control which was far better than 2010:- Extra access routes around the park open- A LOT of theme park staff offering directions- Special exits open from theme park - Mutiny Bay, Runaway Mine Train and Air.- Special drop off/pick up point set up taking up 50% of Express parking. Very convenient- Traffic lights in operation at Farley Gates and Staff entrances- Special fireworks map available showing exits and car parking, information and other.The theme park is likely to reach around 30,000 guests on Saturday!:glare:

Long shot, but does anyone have a link to / saved geek folder of the old Behind The Scenes pictures from ATA? I loved the Nemesis and Air ones, but sadly they went down in the days before I started saving anything interesting, rare or noteworthy :glare: I'd love to see those galleries again; someone must have saved them? Or anyone seen them mentioned recently around TTF?

I was trying to look for them for the Oblivion topic but it looks like they are shutting the site down cause all images are not availableAnd if your not planning to go to the ultimate Fireworks Event here's the event video!

*Listen out for the barbra streisand song by duck sauce, its got a little twist to it :glare:*Today Queue lines today by Alton Towers Guide are:Air 70mins, Th13teen 100mins, Rita 120mins, Sonic spinball 60mins, Hex 30mins, Nemesis 80mins, Oblivion 60minsBusiest day of the season?

Earlier this month me and a member on this forum had a heated discussion whenever Alton towers was the best theme park the Uk.. and I can know confirm thanks to the British Travel Awards 2011 Alton towers is the best Uk theme park 2011Well done Alton Towers! Although Thorpe Park wasn't far behind coming in 3rd place The Link just incase anyone needs any proof :)Posted Image

THEY'RE BAAAAAAAACKhttp://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Neighbours-new-bid-shut-Alton-Towers-noise/story-13862852-detail/story.html

VILLAGERS have launched a new High Court challenge in a bid to force the closure of Alton Towers, or the relocation of some rides.Stephen and Suzanne Roper say their lives have been blighted by noise from the theme park and are seeking compensation.They moved into their home at Farley House, in Farley, in 1968, more than a decade before the first major ride opened at the tourist attraction.The couple have been fighting since 2002 in both the criminal and civil courts to force the park owners to return some peace and quiet to the area.In January this year a High Court judge threw out their claim for an injunction and compensation.However, a more senior judge has now given them fresh hope.Mr Justice Hickinbottom adjourned the matter to give the Alton Towers management a chance to prepare for the case when it comes back to court.However, in doing so he said he did it 'with a heavy heart' bearing in mind the escalating costs of the proceedings.He continued: "The costs of this claim are very considerable. By adjourning today's appeal, those costs can only be increased. Richard Buxton, solicitor for the claimants, has indicated that if this appeal is unsuccessful there will be grave financial difficulties for the claimants."The Ropers' civil claim was issued in 2004, but not pursued until 2008, as, in the meantime, the Ropers sought a noise abatement order in the magistrates' court. They secured the order, which came into force following lengthy proceedings in May 2007.However, the Ropers felt that Alton Towers failed to comply, and brought a criminal prosecution, but had to abandon it when a re-organisation of site owners, the Tussauds Group, transferred Alton Towers to a different company that was not the named defendant.They revived their civil claim, but the judge struck out the claim for delay, finding that it had not been pursued with sufficient urgency and that the park owners could be prejudiced by the difficulty in providing evidence relating to the period prior to 2004.Now the Ropers say that the judge's decision in January was Draconian and disproportionate, and are asking the High Court to re-activate it.They also say the judge was wrong to throw out the whole of their claim, when he could have allowed the injunction claim, which they say is the most important aspect, to proceed.If successful, the Ropers seek an injunction forcing the park owners to close or relocate some rides and an order forcing them to pay damages for noise from 1998 until now.Mr Buxton said: "The ultimate aim of this case is for Alton Towers to comply with their original planning permission, that noise was not to be heard outside the park, and to take care of their neighbours, which it presently is not."It has made life a misery both for my clients and also, to our knowledge, many others in Farley and Alton. We would like Alton Towers to be a good neighbour."A spokesman for Alton Towers said: "As far as we are concerned, the claim was struck out in January."

Just... Why? Waste your own money on attempting to cause problems for the biggest source of income in the local area?I thought they'd moved as well after the last case, but evidently they're back to try and spite everyone (and probably fail once more)...

It does make me laugh that the judge is now concerning himself with the fact that the Ropers will be in financial ruin if their claim goes on much longer.Umm hello? If they used the money they've plowed into this claim to move and sort their situation out then there wouldn't be an issue. Don't moan about your situation if you aren't doing anything to help yourself; and plowing money into a claim against the noise of the UK's best theme park run by one of the largest theme park owners in the world, is not helping yourself :ninja: