Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

I guess it's time to comment on the issue. I first heard this rumour a couple of months ago and completely cringed at the thought of a 4pm closing. I wanted to remain in complete denial and keep every part of my body crossed that it wouldn't happen or Alton would come up with a different plan.It's worth pointing out that operating budgets have been cut for all UK Merlin Attractions. That includes Midway as well. As has been mentioned, this has been forced upon the attractions and even Merlin themselves and comes from higher up within the massive chain of people involved. Merlin is owned by an investment bank and the bottom line is, well, the bottom line. Money, Profits. Turnover. Expenses.In the past I think enthusiasts have given Merlin a hard time by throwing very vague and weak comments such as "they don't care about their guests" and so forth, the truth is, this couldn't be farther from the truth. They know as well as anybody that without their guests they wouldn't be in a job at all. It is within their best interests to keep the largest proportion of their guests happy, smash their KPI targets in guest satisfaction because overall it does mean more profit for the company. Everything that the parks do and I mean everything is seen as a long term/ short term investment to make a profit.Saying that, I genuinely disagree with taking the decision to close at 4pm on a large proportion of the season. If they're looking to cut an hour, I'd seriously cut ERT and offer other perks to hotel guests such as free golf or money off vouchers or half price meal. From what I've seen, Alton are suggesting that on the 4pm closes, the park has very few guests, therefore there will be few guests to displease when cutting ERT. It doesn't take a genius to work out that during this hour, the operating costs far outweigh any potential income. I would love to hear what the park have to say in regards to keeping ERT when considering the benefits of cutting it and staying open until 5pm.I think the main issue here is that, yes, it is only an hour. However, it is has a psychological impact for lots of people. 4pm is considered afternoon and 5pm is often considered evening. Not only that, there simply isn't enough to do in an evening Entertainment wise for hotel guests to warrant kicking them out of the park so early. Others have mentioned it- guests travelling from further afield will think twice about making an effort to visit during off-peak periods as it simply isn't value for money at all!. I'm planning a trip in May and both of the days I'm meant to be going are 4pm closes. It certainly put me off and gave me a sinking feeling that we're going to be bored in the evening. The result? We're now going to be heading out of the resort for food and drink, therefore they have lost out on us spending money in the resort this year which wouldn't have happened otherwise.The core of it really is, I am personally really disappointed. Alton is one of my favourite theme parks actually in the entire world that I have visited and it's gutting that I get to see such a poor show from them. I also just want to point out. It is very easy to throw around figures and statements off the top of your head, in truth, the reality is very different and I think with a little digging, you'll find the people who are the most upset by this are people who do know much more than you think and have seen the evidence to support their view.On the plus side, developments wise, we have two very exciting seasons to look forward to! :P

Yes its an early close, yes they should have cut ERT instead, and yes it's a burden to everyone; but it's an hour and I still vow it will not have an impact on a majority of guests. They won't drop gate figures, they will stay fairly steady - people like to moan on Facebook; but that is a handful out of the millions that go a year!Anybody stopped and considered, like Sheepie and myself and a few others have said; operational budgets have been cut. Thorpe cut SAW: Alive and Time Voyagers, and edited their opening times (admittedly better than Towers but still cut hours) because of it. Towers were very cunning and said they'd shut Enterprise and Submission (they claimed for SW7 development, truth was for the budget cut burden) but everyone moaned. So now they've cut a lot of park hours - Towers had an appalling season last year, and thus have had the worst cut, clearly. What would you rather, no Submission and Enterprise, or an hour off your day? Think about it before you all moan, they are not doing it because they're trying to maximise profit, they are doing it for a reason; and they tried to keep people happy over the SBNO rides in X-Sector and now they have little choice but to cut it an hour. Keep moaning, they'll change it again probably with these petitions and the other crap people are trying. Stick the hour back on, then what? Drop the Fireworks event? Cut Scarefest back more? Close the Monorail? They aren't doing it for kicks, it's for a reason. Yes it sucks, but its for ONE YEAR to pull Merlin out of the recession they had in 2011. So for once, as Enthusiasts, shrug it off and try to support the company, because they're trying to do what they can now, to keep steady for investments in the future. Nobody wants to see Towers go like Pleasure Beach do they? Be reasonable, but lack investment for years. Not Merlin's strategy.

As has been suggested, cut ERT off the offpeak days, and then keep the 10-5 opening...I see very little slandering on here of Merlin, seems more constructive in the criticism than other forums have been on the issue... People want our parks to be as good as possible, but thinking that losing an hour for many guests is a bad option... Again, what about all those who turn up AFTER 10? They lose out greatly and won't want to go...This could easily backfire for them... Just cos some of us don't ride Subbmission or Enterprise doesn't mean the majority of guests do... Who should be happy about two rides being closed? No-one was particularly happy on here about CCR or Saw Alive's hours (Time Voyagers I discount, because it's truly woeful)...Problem is often with parks is that decisions are made by the higher ups who do not have to encounter the backlash from the choice... Every choice will have issues regardless for one person or another, but quite often it's the staff who deal with guests face to face who have to suffer with problems (Chessie had 3 staff on Falls entrance for how long after the restriction change?)...From the broad point of view, it DOES look bad on the park from the normal guests... To lose an hour on weekends as well is bad... The lack of consistent times looks bad...Who's to say if they returned to normal opening if they would cut Scarefest or the Fireworks? In fact they ALREADY have cut Scarefest hours in that week before half term (which gained a fair amount of people both days I went in the past 3 years, regardless of walk-ons) but now I can't do that... Considering I was still at uni during Half Term, it was much better for me to go those dates, but now I wouldn't want to... Lost custom and food from me and I would guess a fair few others too...It's just generally disappointing, and even if we as enthusiasts know it's part of cost cutting and stuff, no-one likes to see it, as evidenced by the backlash on social media sites...4pm closes are pathetic when nothing else in the country does... Even the indie parks open later on off peak days, so what will people do? Take their custom elsewhere to get some more 'value for money'... Why should a family of 4 go to Towers midweek when Drayton is just a bit further along? And arguably cheaper and with more for kids? By hour standards, they get more hours for a cheaper (on gate) ticket price...They will lose some custom over it... Midweek at Towers is NOTHING like midweek days at Chessie or Thorpe... I've seen Spinball with 30 minute queues midweek, longer than any queues you see on offpeak days at both those others combined...

I simply cannot believe that people can defend this like it means nothing.It means a lot - to guests, to management, to staff, to revenue, to people turning up in the first place.Why would you turn up on a 4pm when you could go during a weekend for 530pm, or over the holidays with similar closes? 5pms people didn't mind, but 4pm is ridiculous.

they are not doing it because they're trying to maximise profit

Cutting costs is an attempt to maximise profits. Revenue minus costs is profit. In this case, it could backfire if the response is so negative. If anything, the effect will be in the long run if guests feel like their day has been a time squeeze and choose to not visit again.

Yes it sucks, but its for ONE YEAR to pull Merlin out of the recession they had in 2011.

What's to stop them carrying this on if there are no complaints? For example, we have no idea if other sponsors were lined up after Fanta.

Can I point out that the original plan was to have these 4pm closes and have Submission and Enterprise closed.However, someone, either at Alton or Merlin, has basically decided that they simply can not have thrill rides closed for an entire season, and plugged the cash void to pay for the staff required to run them. Also, Enterprise had already had a fairly hefty refurbishment over winter, so after all of that - they decided to open them.I have written a very balanced, but firm letter, to Merlin Entertainments about this issue - and hope others do the same, while not simply ranting at them.Alton Towers themselves, well - I feel for them. I really do. Their management have some brilliant ideas on things they wish to do - but they are massively constrained by strings from the top. This stops the park from genuinely heading to the next level, and is unfortunate.To sum up the confirmed and/or rumoured cuts at Alton for 2012:- Ride closed cut by 1 hour on 65 dates (although obviously some of these dates may be extended)- The "magic 5", that is rides closing 5 minutes after the advertised ride close time - scrapped.- A cut in "live entertainment shows" (although this isn't particularly serious, given one of the ex venues is still an attraction)- Selected food outlets opening during the lunchtime period only (rumoured, will see what happens come the start of the season) :P

Following the feedback from guests via Facebook and no doubt their letter box, Alton Towers have reversed the decision to close at 4:00pm on many of the dates in 2012. Some still remain in September and October.Here's the article from TT:

Alton Towers Theme Park's decision to cut opening hours by up to 1 hour on selected dates throughout the season has today made somewhat of a U-turn.Although some 4:00pm theme park close times still exist in September and October, all of the earlier closes planned until then have been scrapped, returning to the more familiar ride close time of 5:00pm.TowersTimes first reported the changes to the park schedule last week, and the theme parks official facebook account together with our discussion forums were consequently filled with discussion, the majority of people appearing critical of the decision.It is not the first U-turn made by Alton Towers in recent weeks. Originally, it had been advertised that the Submission and Enterprise thrill rides, located in X-Sector, would be closed for the 2012 season. This was later overturned.

Does make me wonder what happened to the so-called operation budget cuts.They have pretty much completely gone away at this park.

I would imagine that there have been a number of meetings in recent days...Clearly, when it comes to the budget cuts - things were getting so severe that the park could barely even operate at a minimal level.Thank god.They still set to save a fair bit though, with 1 hour saved through the summer holidays, and some 4:00pm's remaining later on in the season.

"The theme park carried out research before starting work on the ride, which revealed 75 per cent the population have a phobia of being trapped underground and as many as one in five adults are scared of the dark.The ride, based in the Forbidden Valley, goes deep underground into a system of hidden caves. Guests will be able to leave via a "chicken exit" if they find the experience too frightening."Link - http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Alton-Tower-s-Nemesis-Sub-Terra-ride-given-12A/story-15567949-detail/story.html