Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

Quick question... I've been given two gate passes (complementaries), however one is faded... How good are the scanners at the gate? Tried the faded one with a barcode scanner on my phone and it couldn't read it, but it could on the non faded one! I would assume the scanners on the gate are better than my phone and more tolerant ;)

I don't see why it wouldn't work; depends how badly faded it is though.

I think that as long as the date and barcode it readable, you could show it to a member of staff and they could let you through. Just explain it's faded slightly for whatever, and they'd be able to check it's fine and let you through. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Towers looking for feedback on the Facebook page...

http://survey.altontowers.com/s/AltonTowersFacebook

Unfortunately there isn't an option to say 'Be more like Thorpe's'... But you can probably put that message across...

Though of course, I couldn't mention that my reasoning behind not thinking the Facebook page is a good place to get my queries answered is because I'd contact them properly or complain at GS...

Though of course, I couldn't mention that my reasoning behind not thinking the Facebook page is a good place to get my queries answered is because I'd contact them properly or complain at GS...

TBH, nowadays contacting a company through Facebook / Twitter is the best way IMO, especially with a complaint as things seem to be dealt with much more quickly / properly when its for all to see.

I think though the way people seem to complain about theme parks on their Facebook page is the issue though... Look at all the BOYCOTTS and OUTRAGE that people show because of out-of-date news stories, bunnies and just general stupidity...

People then complaining that the park isn't paying attention to their post is a personal favourite of mine...

The parks still say to the people "Please contact this email" anyway, so what's the actual point in complaining about quite often stupid things when that's gonna be the park's response until you do it properly?

I think the biggest mistake they make with the rage bandwagoners is their general over niceness and trying to appease them. When people come up with these stupid reasons to be angry at nothing they should very firmly but politely tell them they are being moronic and will be ignored; the sane people would probably respect them more and the idiots would not bother and take their rage elsewhere. Thorpe went some way towards this with their asylum response.

The other very poor thing from Towers facebook this year was the handling of the Smiler downtime, with updates too slow and too late. I wouldn't be surprised if this tactic came from above though, and it is not actually down to their social media people. The silence was deafening either way.

Unfortunately there is no real way to feed back either of these things within the survey!

I would personally never use the facebook page to contact the parks with an actual querey. The page always feels geared to very general things and when someone gets on their soap box, every comment looks like rambling. Twitter is the better method of speaking to the parks as the 140 character limit forces you to get your point across, the same with when the parks reply to you.

The other very poor thing from Towers facebook this year was the handling of the Smiler downtime, with updates too slow and too late. I wouldn't be surprised if this tactic came from above though, and it is not actually down to their social media people. The silence was deafening either way.

The general handling of this was dreadful anyway. It gave the impression that management didn't know when the ride would be ready and because management didn't know, nor did the people managing the social media. But I suppose this all goes down to planning. The Smiler as an actual ride was a huge success. The Advertising campaign was a huge success. The planning was the failure point. Things should have been ready when they planned them to. Notice how they are being overcautious at the moment by saying next years new additions will be open 'in the spring'.

when you say busy... I think nemesis was open at the half term event this year - do the big thrill rides get big queues on these events?

Depends on when you go. When I went last year we didn't queue at all for Nemesis or Air, it was even walk on for Sonic Spinball. Baring in mind though, that was an exception as we went on the last day of the event and the previous days had seen long queue for the other attractions.