SAW: Alive

Marc

I went on the attraction many times yesterday, and true to many peoples reviews, weak.I think the main downfall of the attraction is that every single room seemed very similar in acting; the people leading the group would always see the actor/actress completely still, leave the room, and then the actor/actress would jump. The first room; actress sitting there not doing anything, we leave, everyone behind us screams.The second 'electricity' room; nobody in itThe third room; actress remains completely still until we leave the room and then shouts 'boo'I think that in terms of theming, everything is there. However, in terms of acting not so much. I did also find that the quality of themeing decreases as you go through the attraction. You're firstly welcomed to an intricately designed bathroom and the final room you're presented with a black room with a fence in the middle. If you are going to go on this attraction, I would highly suggest waiting for the end of the day period. There was virtually no queue yesterday. Another aspect I noticed was that after going on the maze first thing in the morning, then going on it around mid-day was the effects. First-thing in the morning and the room where two people are shackled to the device in the middle of the room and there is only one actor present, whereas going on it again half way through the day and there was two actors (well three but one of them then ran out) and an insane amount of fog coming from a smoke machine somewhere in a wall.I've heard many stories of people accidentally walking into the changing room. In the room mentioned above throughout the day there always seemed to be one actor closely guarding a door as we passed into the 'swinging blade' room. I presume this is where this happens and they are trying to stop this from happening?

I went on the attraction many times yesterday, and true to many peoples reviews, weak.I think the main downfall of the attraction is that every single room seemed very similar in acting; the people leading the group would always see the actor/actress completely still, leave the room, and then the actor/actress would jump. The first room; actress sitting there not doing anything, we leave, everyone behind us screams.The second 'electricity' room; nobody in itThe third room; actress remains completely still until we leave the room and then shouts 'boo'I think that in terms of theming, everything is there. However, in terms of acting not so much. I did also find that the quality of themeing decreases as you go through the attraction. You're firstly welcomed to an intricately designed bathroom and the final room you're presented with a black room with a fence in the middle. If you are going to go on this attraction, I would highly suggest waiting for the end of the day period. There was virtually no queue yesterday. Another aspect I noticed was that after going on the maze first thing in the morning, then going on it around mid-day was the effects. First-thing in the morning and the room where two people are shackled to the device in the middle of the room and there is only one actor present, whereas going on it again half way through the day and there was two actors (well three but one of them then ran out) and an insane amount of fog coming from a smoke machine somewhere in a wall.I've heard many stories of people accidentally walking into the changing room. In the room mentioned above throughout the day there always seemed to be one actor closely guarding a door as we passed into the 'swinging blade' room. I presume this is where this happens and they are trying to stop this from happening?

Havent you watched the films? If not then you would realise that they are ALL replicas (within reason of walkways) to the films.Nody is EVER in the electric room, occasionally you will get a pig in there but at the end of the room.

Well I had already heard that Saw Alive was average at best, so I went on not expecting much. The intense, scary atmosphere built up when I first went on Saw: The Ride was totally absent from this queueline, mostly because I had seen it all before. Barbed wire, rusty objects, warning posters... They didn't do it. Apart from that there was not any attempt to make the place frightening. So, soon we were lead in groups into the Thorpe Belle already feeling a bit let down.The entrance to the boat had the usual CCTV camera and some words written in red paint, but nothing frightening about going into the attraction. We were sent to line up against a wall where we were briefed about what to do and what not to do, before walking into a dark room to have our photo taken with a figure of Billy. In an attempt to make us jump, somebody then burst through the doorway next to us and lead us into the first room. There were many screens showing CCTV footage with night vision, which was a nice touch to set the scene. The actress shouted a few things in our faces before telling us to head off into the horror maze.

The first scene was the bathroom. As we saw in the photo, it is very well themed. It uses sensory effects very well with subtle urine smells and a slow-pulsing strobe light. I saw a foot on the floor where the man cutting his leg off was meant to be, but he was not there. Instead, a woman dressed normally in a pink dress said "boo" and we moved on. After that was the electrified room. It was basically a pathway with high metal fences and a gate in the middle. The gate had a sign warning us of the electric shock, which put off the people at the front of our group because they thought we were going the wrong way. I went ahead and kicked the gate open so the group went the right way. Just for fun, I touched the fence and it turned out the 'electric shock' was a vibration. We were only two scenes in and already it was disappointing.After that was the freezer, another let down. There was an actor in there (I think), but he was pretending to be dead so we just walked past him. Then a strange room where somebody lying on a table with their intestines showing got up and fell asleep again. Moving on, we entered a room with the biggest scares. It was not that scary, but two actresses grabbing your ankles and shouting at you does make you jump a bit. They were chained to a trap, yet they were shouting things like: "Let's take this one!" and grabbed people's legs. I think it should have been the people doing the killings being the scary ones rather than the people being killed.In the final scene we walked past a cage with the spinning 'Carousel'-gun-trap-thing in it. It was wildly spinning around, which was a good effect, and at one point it stopped and fired air at somebody. There were two actresses in here, who did the standard "boo" stuff. Some member of the group I went in called one of them fat and she completely broke character. She stopped and said: "Now, that is not appropriate, is it?":P She could have at least tried!

After that I saw the photo booth ahead and realised it was the end. It was very anti-climatic. Throughout the maze there was not a single clever effect or scare moment. Not worth queueing too much for.

thank you very much :P. Can't believe I was so scared if all the actresses do is yell boo :/.

Went today. I was impressed with the queue time and themeing, very good! The atmosphere within in the maze is very dark so that's quite good, but I found that the rooms were repetitive and after room 1, there was no real suprise...and the actors weren't that great tbh. It must get a bit dull to do this day after day, but the actors actually came out of character and when we went in the wrong direction, they either pointed or told us which way to go. Not a biggy, but kinda spoils the experience a bit. So generally, pretty decent but nothing amazing.

Went in it a few weekends ago. I've never been so bored and annoyed in my life. Ok the themeing is good and all is well on that front. But they haven't pulled off the ambience or anything at all. I really like the Saw films and I just couldn't wait to see the rooms after seeing the photos on Thorpe's facebook/twitter. The only thing that would make me queue up again for it would be that AWESOME Saw music. Just pretty fantastic if you ask me. :PThis does contain spoilers, so be warned. :DAnd would I queue up again only to hear the music? Well, it started down hill from the S.W.A.T guy. He said his spiel, then randomly just went under the table and so we took it we had to move on. Just ruined the illusion for me there suddenly hiding himself.The first room was boring, just a man lay on the floor going "ahh, ouch, oooo". I was like "You're meant to be sawing your foot off love". Then the kid at the front didn't know which way to go. Instead of staying in character and pointing the right direction and stuff, he just dropped his character. He turned around and just went "No over there. That's right mate". MATE?! I'm sure if you were having to saw off your foot to escape/survive and we just waltzed past not helping, we wouldn't be your mates and by that I don't mean insulting us instead. Ruined the ambience.The next room, electrocution tunnel? Again boring, there was nothing going on. No loud noises or bangs - nothing. After this we were greeted with an "actor" in a pig mask. Came up to my face and just swirled their hand in my face. Now babes, take a look at your costume. Do you see yourself having an awful black bob and wearing a blue cape donning the name Mystic Meg? No, I thought that too. The freezer room was quite good. I liked the temperature change and all but maybe more dry ice? The actress in here obviously was bored. Made no noise and just swirled round in a little circle with her feet firmly on the same spot. Wow - interesting form of acting. Then onto the chain room one (Saw 4). This was quite cool. It made a couple of the people around me jump and yell when she yanked on the chain and I began to think it was going to get better from here onwards. Oh how I shouldn't think too early. Again, the kid at the front went into a fire exit door. Now, considering she is meant to have her face sewn up, she miraculously spoke without causing any pain via ripping her stiched mouth apart. I was amazed - I want the drug she's on if she felt no pain! Again, a ruined ambience. She was like "The wrong way. OI WRONG WAY!". She could have easily jumped off her chain box and grabbed the guy in front putting him in the right direction. The next one was pretty boring, just a woman with her stomach open and popping up every now and then. I must say though, congratulations to Thorpe with the make-up there. Pretty fantastic and realistic. And finally, the last one, a guy just stood there saying "What do I do, I can't do it! NO!". We just walked past the carousel with no gun shooting or anything. No jumps and then suddenly, we were out into the photo area. Later that day we went to Guest Services and I couldn't help but listen to the complaint next to me. It was about Saw : Alive. He complained that he screamed in the maze and the actor came upto him and said "Yeah that was the noise your mum made when she was with me last night in bed". Now considering this was an actor who was trying to save himself, was there any need to randomly say that to that guy? I think it was pretty damn appauling and unnecessary. A) the character isn't meant to be insulting us if they're trying to flee from Jigsaw and B ) if you're going to insult a guest, insult them personally, don't bring in another person/part of their life - not needed. If it was Asylum or Se7en or Hellgate and the insult was about the man himself and his scream, then fine. I would think he was being ridiculous and be on Thorpes side. But, considering this is a different type of maze theme and wasn't directed at the man himself, then I'm fully on his side.

Agreed! That is pretty much SAW Alive. A photo of your reaction to a certain room would be better, but tbh, there's not much to react to. Of course, everyone is different and this attraction probably scares a lot of people, but personally, and it seems to be the same with many others, it's a bit of a letdown.

a 'walkabout' photo from inside the maze would never work half the group would be either:

• Not looking the right way
  • Hiding behind other guests/friends
  • Running (motion blurs?)
  • Half in / half out the photo
The possibilities are endless of what could happen!

Well, finally experienced SAW Alive today. In a nutshell, "appalling" - and that is the exact word I used in the photo point and coming of the boat. All I knew about the maze was there was the bathroom scene and the Carousel Trap. Oh, and it featured an ORP somehow. Firstly, the queue. Dreadfully and painfully boring. I knew it would be. However, I braved going in it when it said a 45 minute queue. Despite that, it was only 15 minutes. The audio there is pointless and dull. Get something different to the actual ride's one and you might be on to something. Only good thing about the queue is the fact it moves quickly.First go, was dispatched into a group of 7 - and I was right at the front. Go onto the boat. Saw the 'Face Your Fears' bit. Original. We were told basic H&S information by an ordinary person and told the next bit of information was very important. Go through, another normal person explaining H&S. Okay, you're boring me now. Then the photo point. Pointless and obvious penny-pinching. Okay, finally going in the maze now.SWAT section. Clever idea, especially with a live CCTV camera so the SWAT guy knows everyone is in. Ooh, what will happen? "You're in Jigsaw's lair and he knows you are here, so be careful." Story line!? Hallelujah!! Then followed by basic H&S rules and the whole thing about go through flaps, not fire exit doors. Okay, I get it. Stop boring me and start scaring me. And the fact he says their fire exits spoils the atmosphere a bit. Room 1. SAW I. Bathroom scene. First thoughts? Where is everything!? Way too dark. At first, I saw a pipe, then looked around and I think I saw Jigsaw's dead body. But it was far too dark to tell. Then I saw the severed foot and a bit of blood. Go round a little bit and I find the flaps. Now, I here a rattling chain and a gasp from someone in the group and I look behind and FINALLY see an actor, just moving say "Help." I found myself disappointed I was not involved in the scare.Room 2. Though I didn't really recognise it, I guessed it would SAW II. Fences and a bit of strobe lighting. Nothing amazing. There was a fake route that was FAR to obvious. I touched the fence after a few seconds of darkness to help find my way and eventually an actor bashed up against it. Gave me a little shock but nothing of real scare. Again, was disappointed. Room 3. SAW III. Felt the temperature change immediately. Very good. The lighting here was perfect as well. Bright enough to see everything but not spoil anything. A girl was hanging then. At first, I thought it was just a manikin, but after nearly getting out the room, she springs to life and scares the group at the back. Yet again, I have not be scared and I have a sour feeling. Room 4. SAW IV. You can tell by the windows it is the Mausoleum. Very smoky and dark, so - again - you can barely see a thing. A random smell there, and it wasn't really that bad. Nothing really happens, get stuck there for a few seconds, having no idea where to go. Then, an actor slowly approaches me and points me in the right way, and scares others in the group. Someone by the exit of the room starting shout help as I walked passed, but what was the point? Could barely see what she was doing.Room 5. Okay, I've no idea what this room is - is it from SAW V? I can see nothing! There's a small red light shining on a table a little. Nothing is happening. Walk round this table thing and huzzah, next room. Very, very, very disappointed.Room 6. SAW VI. Carousel Trap. Spinning like mad. Go round, turn left, an actor stops me by jumping from round the corner and points the other way. Okay. You scared me. Not. Go round a bit more and the Carousel shoots a blast of air and I get caught. The sound makes me jump a little. Again, very dark. A light lit up the Carousel and that's it. Then, at the exit, there's a pig man, rocking his head back and forward. How's that scary? Leave, and look at that, photo point. Okay, that's it? "Appalling."So, first time round and my views. No story line, which was the only thing I actually wanted from this. Instead, it's the 'Scene from SAW I, scene from SAW II...' treatment. Something I was very much against. All the rooms except the freezer room were too dark to see anything. I got no scares and the actors were rather poor.However, I decide to go in a second time. From what I gathered, the back was scary. Was near the back, except there was a two behind me. Sightly better. The actors interact with you more, but still, nothing to actually scare you. I noticed a smell in the SAW II scene, but what it was of, I haven't the foggiest. There was no actor in that scene, but one in the SAW V scene instead. However, all they did was, well, I don't know. I didn't see. It was too dark. Seemed as if they were prancing around on the table to be honest. However, the actor in the freezer from was the same both times. On the second time she was much more active to everyone in the group. Also, the two behind me knew her and shouted her name, and she mustered a quick wave as not to break out of character. I will say well done Jade, as she was the only actor there who actually acted well. <_<The timers were poor. Some weren't counting. They're all at different times and you're unsure if it is for you or the trap (some actors aren't in traps, so...).Improvements:More light. That way, you can see what is happening.A storyline of some form.Actors trying to scare you.So, overall, very bad attraction. Nothing 'horrific' about it. No gore (okay, a bit of blood - the world is going to end!!!!!!!). Short and very boring. I will say this once more - "appalling".

a 'walkabout' photo from inside the maze would never work half the group would be either:

• Not looking the right way
  • Hiding behind other guests/friends
  • Running (motion blurs?)
  • Half in / half out the photo
The possibilities are endless of what could happen!
I'm sure they do this in the 'Death Trap' maze in London...I went and they had a photo of your reaction, a lot more worthwile, but ofc, the point you made are also true.

I agree that this maze needs some major improving but some of the blame has to fall on the press for slating it's apparantly too low age limit. I don't think the asylum had any press like that but because Saw is an 18 movie series some of the reports of it were very damning. I wish I could have somehow experienced the version with the full on actors, electric shocks, etc but from the sounds of things the AP day version I experienced was head and shoulders above what is going on now. It's a shame because with such good theming inside this maze has a lot of potential.

I agree that this maze needs some major improving but some of the blame has to fall on the press for slating it's apparantly too low age limit. I don't think the asylum had any press like that but because Saw is an 18 movie series some of the reports of it were very damning. I wish I could have somehow experienced the version with the full on actors, electric shocks, etc but from the sounds of things the AP day version I experienced was head and shoulders above what is going on now. It's a shame because with such good theming inside this maze has a lot of potential.

To be honest, I disagree about this excellent theming. The bathroom is well themed yes. But apart from that, it is much more than a few chain and the odd few props. After that, it is darkness and lots of plain walls.

but from the sounds of things the AP day version I experienced was head and shoulders above what is going on now. It's a shame because with such good theming inside this maze has a lot of potential.

Oh my do I agree with you. The annual pass day was amazing compared to any other time I have done it! Yes it still wasn't super scary or whatever, but the atmosphere was so much better, and the actors really were amazing! And then I go home after that day, rave to everyone on CF and whatnot about how amazing and atmospheric etc it was, only to go in it a few days later and it be rubbish!Now, if they have the same amount of actors in there as AP day, I guaruntee there will be less dissapointment. There were 2 (3 at one point) in the bathroom, both chained up, screaming for help, grabbing you. One guy huddled up in a corner in the electric corridor, who chased us all through when walking past; 2 in the freezer room, as usual; 2 in the masoluem, both chained up, as if they where in the trap; 1 in the Pendulum trap; and 2 in the Carousel trap, they were both arguing and pleading with each other, they were grabbing us, and then when the shotgun sound/air blast went off, they threw themself into the wall/ on the floor, so realisticaly, I'm sure they must of hurt themself a bit.Anyway, emotional, heart felt rant over <_<, I just hope that Thorpe do something and hire more actors, and get them to actually play as if they are in the traps, 'cause at the moment, based on everyones thoughts/the crowds it has (not) drawn, its looking like a bit of a bad investment.

I think that's the problem really. The concept itself is quite weak. I think Universal made it work because the actors in traps were not trying to directly scare the guests but make them feel that they were in a state of danger. However while guests were watching the victims of the traps, the pig masks crept up on them which worked well. The Saw series doesn't have screamers which begs the question why the maze is full of victims jumping out instead of being more atmospheric. I guess it's just because it's easier.

Yeah...I agree with that. The more I think about it, apart from the rooms, everything about the maze is completely unrelated :| the actors should be the ones who are more scared, perhaps portraying it vocally rather than just standing there and touching you as you're about to leave the room.And I'd definitely say they need to sort out lighting or something because it's quite difficult to actually see where you're going, and the actors had to guide me in the right direction, which also ruins the experience a bit.Maybe later in the year or next year, they will take this criticism on board and improve the maze...

Well, yes, that's actually *the* idea. ;)

I did say I was very much against that idea. I said that all throughout the closed season. I said I'd be happy with a story line. That's all I wanted. Theming and actors wouldn't have mattered that much to me as long as there was a clear story line. But there was none. You see 6 scenes from 6 films. That's it. You're not part of the trap, all it is is like watching 6 scenes from the films, but you're just a little closer. This was not what I wanted.Looks like I was right when I said it'd be "utter rubbish". <_<

Its amazing!!So scary. All the actors scream and grab your feet. the loo scene was really good, the actor throwing up and that. well sick! Was really good cant wait to go again.

Edited by MikeyT
Edited for spelling; grammar and unnecessary use of bad language.

Josh do you ACTUALLY have anything good to say about anything?

Now now.. Everyone's entitled to their opinion!!Its a real shame Saw Alive is such a mixed bag at the moment, a few weeks ago I went on it was great with effects in the electric corridor working, new smoke effects through out, but then went on again last week and it was such a let down.I&#39;m still sure though, like the other mazes in time it will improve though, the themeing inside is top notch and I&#39;m sure when the actors get there it will be a superb maze.

Josh do you ACTUALLY have anything good to say about anything?

Saw 3's room is good. Not great, but still a good room that works very well. I did say this in my first post. <_<The thing is, I had low expectations for the attraction. As I said, I'd have been happy with a coherent story line. Heck, even if it was "Watch Jigsaw's victims try to survive their tests - but make sure you're not put in a game of your own..." I'd be happy. But all we got was the thing I personally wanted least. So I'm bound to say something bad, aren't I?As for everything else about the park, I always say I take a pessimistic approach. That way, I'm hopefully not disappointed. I give dues to the park when dues are needed. However, when there's something bad, I also say that. The thing is, I dislike the new brand they've created. Can't stand the people, the font, etc. Therefore, I have 2 opinions - what IS good aand what I think is good. That's why I'm having more bad perspectives than good.In the end, as Marc sais, everyone's entitled to their own opinions. I just hope you do see I have good things to say sometimes. <_<

You do have to remember that se7en is also based around a 18 movie, the movie se7en. I really think the press should have looked into the parks past history as nothing has been said for se7en. Now I know se7en isnt really that brutle or anything, but the fact that they are just singling out saw:alive really isnt fair in my opinion. But there you go <_<