SAW: Alive

Marc

From what I remember, Asylum genuinely scared the hell out of me and I'd never ran so fast. I remember a woman chasing me whilst whacking a chain against a wall. Scary stuff.SAW Alive doesn't seem to even come close to this effect. I love the themeing, I really do, but I think one, it's quite mall and easy to run into walls, or maybe that's just me. Not gonna lie, I was scared like a wimp and I was desperate to get out (LOL)...but I did find it disappointing, so I hope they can perhaps make it 'better' and grab some ideas from Asylum, Se7en etc. After all, it's a bit of a letdown after all the hype <_<

I wouldn't say it's amazing but you should go in it if you haven't been for a while or are only planning to go once or twice this year!! The theming is very good and the maze leaves you disoriented whilst your in there but when I went on the annual pass day the actors weren't really trying to scare you!! Hope it will be better on saturday!!

Josh, you must have been pretty unlucky, as I went on the 8th and my opinion had improved alot since 14th March, alot more actors, fourth room filled with smoke and a actor hiding in the shadows which scared us alot as she jumped out.One negative thing though, they need to manage the groups as there were four groups in one room at one point and the Billy video wasn't showing.

Josh, you must have been pretty unlucky, as I went on the 8th and my opinion had improved alot since 14th March, alot more actors, fourth room filled with smoke and a actor hiding in the shadows which scared us alot as she jumped out.One negative thing though, they need to manage the groups as there were four groups in one room at one point and the Billy video wasn't showing.

I do s'pose it is down to luck at times. However, when you get bad luck (like myself it would seem) it can ruin the experience - but likewise, if you have good luck (like yourself), then it can create a great experience. Despite my negative views I have on the maze at the moment, I will be trying all throughout the year, hoping I get some better luck. As for me, there was also a lot of smoke in the fourth room. However, it more ruined it as I couldn't see that much and the actor didn't utilise this. Guess it can also depend on what actor you get.Wait, there's a Billy video? Where's that meant to be - SWAT room scene? :PEDIT: Hang on a minute, just had a thought from looking at your signature. ;) When you went in Alive one time, did you or someone who you were with volunteer to go to the front of the conga line because the girls at the front didn't want to go first. :P I know it's a long shot, but they said they'd been in it something along the lines of what it says in your sig. <_< Edited by JoshC.

EDIT: Hang on a minute, just had a thought from looking at your signature. When you went in Alive one time, did you or someone who you were with volunteer to go to the front of the conga line because the girls at the front didn't want to go first. I know it's a long shot, but they said they'd been in it something along the lines of what it says in your sig.

Honestly I can't really remember, we went in 6 times so it might of happened as one time I did go at the front because some people didn't want to go at the front, but I can't remeber what gender they were sorry!

Honestly I can't really remember, we went in 6 times so it might of happened as one time I did go at the front because some people didn't want to go at the front, but I can't remeber what gender they were sorry!

Ha, that's okay. Just wondered really, as it might have been you. :P

I went on the Saw: Alive maze a couple of weeks ago on a saturday during school term time and I thought it was fantastic. Read my very in depth review below. MAJOR SPOILERS ROOM 1The first room is the bathroom scene from Saw I. There's a person sat chained up, I guess they're chopping their foot off. For me it was a woman, she got up and chased us brandishing the saw she was usiing on her foot. This made us freeze and not move (That mixed with us not knowing where to go) We asked the woman where to go and she didn't break character like other peoples actors had. She just shouted "THAT WAY!" and waved her saw in the general direction then ran back to where she was chained up. OVERALL: 10/10, Beatifully themed and brilliant actingROOM 2The second room is a bit of a let down, there are no live actors (unless you get a pigman) and it just seems like a waste of space where they could've put a trap from Saw II like the furnace or the razor hands trap. Instead there is an electric corridor (which I don't remember in Saw II) and if you touch the "electric" fence there's not electricity due to H&S OVERALL: 1/10 No Actors, corny effectsROOM 3The third room is a massive improvement, it is the freezer room scene from Saw III. There's an actor hanging in the room. It looks like both of their wrists are chained up, but in reality only one is. The actor then springs out at the guests after waiting for about 3 seconds (big problem if you're at the front and you're a runner instead of a stand-and-screamer) When you enter the room there is an immediate temperature change followed by some dry ice.OVERALL: 7/10 Bad Room if you're at the front, If you're at the back or in the middle there's a good scare in store for you.ROOM 4The fourth room has the first trap from Saw IV. There's an actor chained up and they are banging their chains against the walls which creates a tense atmosphere. I was the only person in my group though to notice her mouth was stitched up, and I pointed this out to her when she told us where to go when we got lost. They could've put the other actor in there with his mouth sewn up to complete the scene from the filmOVERALL: 4/10 A bit boring, but has potentialROOM 5The fifth room is the pendulum trap from Saw V. There's an actor on a table with his stomach cut open and his insides hanging out. The lights flash then go out, when the lights are out the actor slowly gets up off the table. The lights suddenly go on and the actor runs and chases you out of the room. There's a definite smell in this room, but I couldn't tell exactly what it was.OVERALL: 8/10 The Effects are brilliant in this room and there's a good scare.ROOM 6The final room, It has the carousel trap from Saw VI. There's an actor at the other side of the room, who blocks your path when you try to go around the carousel and you eventually have to just "Face Your Fears" and walk past him. This actor may follow you out to the photo booth so don't be alarmed if you turn around and they're there.OVERALL: 6/10 A solid ending, but ruined by the actor following you out.OVERALL REVIEW OF THE MAZE: 7/10 A few good scares, but some wasted rooms.

I'm a first time poster on these forums but I went to Thorpe Park yesterday and felt as if I had to reply. -- THIS CONTAINS SPOILERSMy view on SAW: ALIVE? It's a massive letdown. I think my expectations were too high to begin with but I'll come to that later. First of all, the queue was ridiculous. One hour into queueing and the maze was evacuated because the fire alarm went off. Fair enough - Safety first and all that. Mind you, when it happens for a second and third time you do begin to get a tad annoyed. Anyway... we went in and the mood is killed by the photo man - it would be best if this came at the end or not at all. OK... so Room 1: The Bathroom scene - Very good detail but the size of this room and every other room is ridiculous. It was so tiny. I wasn't expecting an exact replica but come on Thorpe Park! At least make it a reasonable size... it was very small, with only the corner of the room used. Overall... they could have done so much more.Room 2 - Everyone else seems to agree - also a letdown. Once the front person announces the gate gives you a tiny shock, everyone else kicks it open to avoid it. Room 3 - Loved it. Things were looking up and I was genuinely scared when the woman begins to jump out at you.Room 4 - Also very good. The fact you have to walk against the walls is good here. I had someone grab my ankle through a hole in the wall which was surprising. A lot going on here. I really wanted to stop and watch but we had to move on. Shame. It really doesnt give you time to savour some of the good work that is going on but I suppose its only fair to reduce queue times.Room 5 - Hilarious. A fat man lies on the table with his guts hanging out, only for the lights to go out and be replaced with a woman. I saw the woman, turned for an instant only to have her right up in my face when I turned round again. I laughed. I presume this trap is supposed to be the very first one with the pendulum sythe thing that kills the guy on the table but there is no sign of them or anything else. Just a guy on a table.Room 6 - Possibly the most disappointing trap. I thought they could have at least had models of people in there or some thing. Watching a metal carousel spin round isnt scary and thats all there was in there.As we headed toward the exit the pig mask guy turnd round and stalked us out. And that was it. A few jumps/shocks but nothing major. I have to commend the actors - they were good.The size of some of the rooms were rubbish. Apart from the SAW IV trap they could have all been a bit bigger - there was no 'claustaphobic' atmosphere created if that was the aim.Also, just a petty criticism but one ill mention anyway... Was anyone else annoyed by the room dividers? Everyone in our group kept getting strangled by them. They were really thick and heavy but its not an issue. Was just wondering. A lot of people will disagree with this review but its just how I felt. I would tell everyone to do it just to say you have done it but its not worth the 2 hour plus queueing time. Stick with SAW: The Ride.

He said that there were tv screens and he saw an actor who was on the floor get kicked hard in the face, I think it's time Thorpe stop trying to attract chavs, that attack on the actor is a result of it.

I will check that out tomorrow but I'm sure there are no tv screens showing live footage from inside the maze.

Is that footage really live, or just pre-recorded? I've never taken notice of it really.

There's only 1 live camera. It shows when the entire group is in the SWAT room, so the actor turns around ehen everyone is in. The rest are prerecorded. I do believe they show empty queues, so... :P

If an actor was kicked in the face, I'm pretty sure the attraction will be evacuated for a few moments to investigate what idiot would do that, and to check over the actor.

I know it is highly unlikely, but I spose there's a chance but it could have been an accident. If an actor gets a bit too close when grabbing someone's legs, it could happen. However, this whole thing seems rather implausible.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as said in the TR bit, had an unexpected trip with the family today. Had an improved experience than my previous times. SWAT room. Absolutely amazing and I love it. This seems to be one of the only times when the braver ones are targeted. Bathroom scene. Was rather bad. Most of the group had left the room before an actor did anything - and then al she did was stand up and bang the chains. Saw II. Felt the vibrations from the gate. Nice effect when grouped with the electric fence warnings and not knowing. Best of all was there was an actor on top the cage, who grabbed the tops of people's head just before leaving the scene. Freezer room. Still the best scene of the attraction. However, I prefer it when there's a female actor - just seems to fit the room better. For some reason, the sound effect on the swinging pendulum from the Saw V scene was here. ;) Mausoleum trap. The smell seemed to stay in my nose all day - in fact, I can still smell it now! ;) The actor just stood there - rather bland. Saw V. No actor top prance around on the table. However, in the cage in the corner, there was someone rattling it. Nice touch that took me by surprise. Carousel Trap. Still quite a weak ending. The actors have no way to really scare you.So, a better experience. Still not a great maze, but my opinion has risen to a 4/10. ;)

Well, they were serveying lots of people who came out of the attraction, and this was pretty soon after opening. I was asked a few questions about how I could improve the maze, for example. It seems they know it does not really live up to expectations and want to improve it. I hope so, because, whilst you can see effort in some places, the whole thing is a bit of a cop out. I doubt one day will allow for anything big, and 'maintenance' suggests little tweaks and improvments, but something can be expected for sure. I think it will most likely be something like improved directions, since so many groups are getting lost through the wrong doors. They will probably make the right route more obvious somehow.

I don't understand why everyone thinks the Freezer is the best scene. IMO its definately the Bathroom. The theming in it is superior to any of the rooms, and as any SAW fan would agree, it's the most iconic and brilliant sets in the series.

For me the Freezer is the one room that manages to scare me EVERY time. Also the sudden temperature drop and blue mist is very atmospheric