Merlin Annual Pass 2011 Restrictions

Benin

How can you argue for against that? Yes, parking could double the costs, but it's still good value nonetheless.

Posted Image
I'm sorry but Josh is right, the annual pass as it stands is incredibly cheep for what it offers, it still has a decent chunk of good perks and offers incedable value for guests wanting to visit 5 + times. Weve not even seen the new prices yet so I think some people are jumping the gun abit over things we dont know an awful lot about!

Merlin are creaming money from Annual Pass holders, they have to open the park and run the rides regardless of whether annual pass holders attend or not. It doesn't actually cost them any extra to have the pass holders on the park. the Pass holders then spend money in the park (lining Merlins pockets).It's in Merlins interest to keep pass holders happy as these are the ones that will spend more and more on merchandise etc.Personally, I wont be bothering to renew unless the free parking is included. My average trip to Alton costs enough with Fuel, Accommodation and Food etc. I don't want to have to pay an extra £10 for a day and a half worth of parking ontop. I think I might get a Europa Annual pass instead, can get to Europa from where I live for roughly the same amount.

I'm sorry but Josh is right, the annual pass as it stands is incredibly cheep for what it offers, it still has a decent chunk of good perks and offers incedable value for guests wanting to visit 5 + times. Weve not even seen the new prices yet so I think some people are jumping the gun abit over things we dont know an awful lot about!

The annual pass has been good value, I don't think anyone denies that. The problem is the extra little bonuses are becoming less and less. When they start taking away park time from one of the attractions then it's only a matter of time before Alton, Thorpe and Chessington start to get hit by the same thing. The terms and conditions change on a regular basis with Merlin it seems and I won't be running the risk of getting a standard pass and then can't get into any of the parks until 2pm. Theme Parks are traditionally days out. Merlin really do seem to want to work against their biggest fans here...

grrr well that's me outta here :) really need that free parking.

But... You can't even drive?

The annual pass has been good value, I don't think anyone denies that. The problem is the extra little bonuses are becoming less and less. When they start taking away park time from one of the attractions then it's only a matter of time before Alton, Thorpe and Chessington start to get hit by the same thing. The terms and conditions change on a regular basis with Merlin it seems and I won't be running the risk of getting a standard pass and then can't get into any of the parks until 2pm. Theme Parks are traditionally days out. Merlin really do seem to want to work against their biggest fans here...

Damn right Mark... As I said earlier, having the restrictions on the London attractions isn't AS bad, it's not great, but a lot more understandable considering the nature of them... Same goes for the Blackpool attractions at October Half Term (and the various other restrictive dates)...What's annoying me is people saying "If you have a pass from this year why are you moaning?", that's just a stupid thing to say because of the principles... Why should we continue losing perks in place of restrictions? It's getting sillier and sillier and it's possible that as the Premium Pass was an absolute failure (If I recall correctly I saw less than 10 in one summer at the Eye) sales wise they're wanting people to buy it instead, but doing it this way is completely the wrong way about it... If the Premium Pass was 150 quid I think many would consider it value for money... But they won't lower the price of it that much... Can't see it at all...

I see it eventually getting to the point (something along the lines) of:Pass 1- off peak entry £100Pass 2- off peak entry, peak entry to some parks £150Pass 3- off peak entry, peak entry all parks, free parking £200 Pass 4- full entry to all parks, London attractions and Blackpool Tower and free parking £250 :)

Clarification: Contrary to current debate can we please make clear: free parking will still be available to current Passholders and in 2011 parking will be included in Our Premium Pass In 2011 BOTH the Standard & Premium Passes will be reducing in price! The Merlin Annual Pass is acknowledged as offering one of the best value leisure products on the marketThe Merlin Annual Pass – Pricing and Package Structure for 2011 – (previously embargoed until 4th January 2011) We value our loyal Passholders and have taken into account their feedback during 2010 regarding changes to the Standard Merlin Annual Pass at the beginning of the year. We have also looked at the feedback regarding the cost of the Premium Merlin Annual Pass which carries no restrictions. We can confirm planned changes in 2011 to the two Passes as detailed below, please be sure to read this information in full. Standard Merlin Annual Pass 6 new attraction additions (that makes 29 in all!):The Blackpool Tower Eye with 4D Cinema (Observation deck at the top of the tower) – reopens September 2011The Blackpool Tower Circus - from September 2011Jungle Jims (Children’s indoor play area) - from September 2011The Blackpool Tower Ballroom - from September 2011The Blackpool Dungeon - opens September/October 2011Madame Tussauds Blackpool - opens April 2011 Changes for 2011 to the Pass:No entry to LEGOLAND® Windsor before 2pm during August (open until 8pm)No entry to the Blackpool Tower attractions from 22nd – 30th OctoberAttraction parking fees aren’t included 2011 Price:Individuals - £145 inc. VATFamily of 3, 4 or 5 - £95 inc. VAT The Standard Merlin Annual Pass is the best option for guests wanting to visit around 4 times per year during off peak periods.Even with the impending VAT increase to 20%, we have reduced the 2011 net price by £15 per person (families of 3) to reflect the new restrictions. Premium Merlin Annual Pass 6 new attraction additions (that makes 29 in all!):The Blackpool Tower Eye with 4D Cinema (Observation deck at the top of the tower) - reopens September 2011The Blackpool Tower Circus - from September 2011Jungle Jims (Children’s indoor play area) - from September 2011The Blackpool Tower Ballroom - from September 2011The Blackpool Dungeon – opens September/October 2011Madame Tussauds Blackpool – opens April 2011 The Premium Merlin Annual Pass carries no restrictions and free Standard parking is included 2011 Price:Individuals - £175 inc. VATFamily of 3, 4 or 5 - £125 inc. VAT The Premium Merlin Annual Pass is, we believe, the best value leisure product on the market today. It’s also the best option for guests wanting to visit more than 5 times per year during both peak and off peak periods.Even with the impending VAT increase to 20%, we have reduced the 2011 net price by £35 per person (families of 3) to give an affordable option with maximum flexibility A great offer on the Premium Merlin Annual Pass for our existing Passholders Throughout 2011 we will be offering our current Passholders the chance to upgrade to a Premium Pass when renewing in 2011, this will cost less than the price of 2010’s Standard Merlin Annual Pass (£150 for individuals). Not only will the Premium Merlin Annual Pass cost less, it will also carry none of the restrictions of the Standard Pass.

Merlin have posted this on their facebook. Prices down for both passes, premium pass has free parking no restrictions. Premium it is!

I am tempted to just not bother renewing so I can vote with my feet. Merlin seem to be slowing turning Six Flags with their constant nickel and diming and restrictions. I have a feeling that if renewal rates are high in 2011 then other parks will be time restricted as well. This is just a price hike in disguise really.Only good thing about this has been some of the abuse being hurled at Merlin on their Facebook page.

I'm not really surprised, I did consider a premium pass last year but it really didnt offer much atall over the standard, london not being a huge deal to me and fright nights id of had to visit over 20 times to make it work out better value so it just wasnt worth it.With the car parking now free for premium and it going down in price its a much more attractive option, I'm wondering how much it will cost to renew my standard and upgrade it to a premium at the same time.I'd personally rather they scrapped the Standard / Premium stuff and had one bog standard annual pass which offers everything with no restrictions, at £175 thats only £25 more than a standard this year IMO they could easily get away with that. I guess this all goes back to the questionare sent out by merlin a few winters ago asking our opinions on the pass/ perks/ restrictions and how we would rather they were.

Thats me done I'm afraid. I've been an Annual pass holder since 2003 now and I cannot justify spending the money anymore when there are so little perks. I do feel a bit cheated on. I've saved a lot of money over the years, true. but every year its such a jump and when you account petrol costs, add on a whole heap of car parking costs and losing the right to visit theme parks during the whole day just means I can't be bothered with a company that doesn't actually care about its customers anymore.People are actually defending the car parking charge saying they don't use it. Crazy.

I feel the same Mark. I have been a loyal customer to Merlin for long enough now.Ok, I will miss the parks and the rides in general, but they have gone too far now, IMO

Well now, seeing as the premium looks quite tempting; I think the best plan for families is for one person to renew as premium, and leave the rest as standards. This way you will have free parking by using the premium. But the only problem with that is that the person with the premium will always have to visit the parks. Just a suggestion I thought of. :)

And the attractions are not available ALL the time... There are several pre-existing restrictions (London Summer anyone), which was poorly advertised and resulted in many unhappy customers... Same for Fright Nights...

By unlimited, I meant there's no restrictions as to how many times you can visit, not when. Pretty sure a few years back the Tussuads AP had a limit as to how many times you could use it in a season..

People are actually defending the car parking charge saying they don't use it. Crazy.

I'll assume I was one of those 'people'...I'm wasn't defending it - I am impartial to a car parking charge being put to APs. In the end, I don't use them, so it won't effect me either way. And if I ever would use them, it would be a small - yes, inconvenient - expense. Yet it would still be miles cheaper than taking public transport. So in no way am I defending it, in fact, I'm largely against car parking charges altogether - especially at Thorpe and Chessie - where their car parks are hardly worth paying for at all. But that's the situation we are in. With these new changes, very little actually effect me, so I'm just impartial to it.Anyway...Well done Merlin for actually responding so quickly and trying to clear things up. The price reductions are clever (despite the fact they are small), getting more for less, etc. and the renewal upgrades from standard to premium also seem interesting as well. I'll bide my time, and see what pass will end up being more worthwhile to me, especially with inevitable deals to come in the new year as well..

Complacency like "oh it's the situation we are in" isn't good. I'm glad that this charge has got mostly a bad response rather than "an oh, I'm not bothered because it doesn't affect me personally" response. I would have thought costs would be similar on public transport if you account for petrol + parking charge.

Such a clever buisiness tactic there. Sorry Merlin, I'm not paying £25 more for your pass. You can shove it to be honest, especially when this year most of your new attractions open in September anyway and your theme parks are only adding one worthwhile ride (if that).I'd rather not waste the money frankly.

I think the facebook page has got abit silly now, people are moaning about all sorts and seems people on there expect there to be a deal suited to their needs only.As Mark said its a effectively £25 price increase, you only need to use your pass once more for it to be worth it... and well if you dont like it, Merlin are not forcing you to renew.

As Mark said its a effectively £25 price increase, you only need to use your pass once more for it to be worth it...

But Mark also said...

Sorry Merlin, I'm not paying £25 more for your pass. You can shove it to be honest, especially when this year most of your new attractions open in September anyway and your theme parks are only adding one worthwhile ride (if that).I'd rather not waste the money frankly.

So I don't get your point about that... Yes it might be worth me getting the Premium Pass, but why should I just so I can get rid of restrictions? Merlin have handled this really badly by leaving it a day before coming out with something, as due to the nature of Facebook, the reputation was tarnished within minutes of the discovery...As I said, it didn't sell last year, Merlin are trying to make up the numbers but the way they have done so has disillusioned many of their AP holders both enthusiast and non-enthusiast alike... What with holidays abroad being relatively cheap now (especially to Europe), annoying your more loyal customers is not a great business plan...