The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

The Woman in BlackI'd heard about this film last month, and it caught my interest. I knew it was based around a book, which I haven't read (yet), and that was about it. In a sentence, without spoiling it, I'd say the film is alright, but lets it self down at times. As I always do, here's a more 'in depth' review, about actual scenes and stuff, so needless to say, they'll be spoilers! One thing I'll say is that I was surprised it was given a 12A rating - think it more should've been a 15..

So, basic plot is single father (Kipps) has to leave home for a couple of days to do a job. It's shown that he's not really coping well, and in a way, hates how his son reminds him of his wife, who died when giving birth. Being a spooky, horror film, of course, the job involves a scary, isolated house that the locals fear...On arrival, Kipps is confused as to why there's no room in the inn he booked, but is 'kindly' given the attic room, which viewers know to be a room that three little girls committed suicide in. Word spreads that he has to go to the evil house, and everyone tries to get him out of town, which fails. He goes to the house, does some paperwork, and some creepy things happen, and he then sees 'The Woman in Black'. When he reports the incident to the police, they become worried, and soon after, a girl dies in Kipps' arms after it's found she drunk some sort of bleach. Again, the locals try to get him to leave, but a friend he makes decides to help him stay. Kipps goes back to the house, and stays the night. There's some good, tense moments during his stay, but the scares...aren't scary. For example, there's a beautiful scene where he sees a hand print on a window, so he goes up to it, puts his hand on it, sees his face in the window, then a loud, screaming woman. It makes people jump, but it's predictable, and the character just doesn't seem too fazed by it. It's at this point where we and the character discover just who the 'Woman in Black' actually is, and what she's actually doing. When everything gets going, it's morning and his friend has come to pick him up, even though all the windows make it seem like it's night time. After another death of a child, and some more exploring by Kipps, Kipps and his friend go back to the creepy house, with Kipps saying he knows what to do. Kipps uncovers the body of a boy, who was the Woman in Black's son, and puts it in the nursery room of the house. Creepy things go on, Kipps comes face to face with the Woman, and things go quiet. This is perhaps the most 'spine-tingling' moment of the film, and did give me goosebumps. Kipps then buries the child with his mother, and believes that now the Woman in Black has her child, her curse will be lifted, and the children will stop dying. Now, it is here where the film's ending is ruined, and perhaps leaves me with a sour feel about the film. After the burial, the Woman's voice is heard echoing round the house, saying a line from a note Kipps read - "I will never forgive". As the Woman's curse is basically every time she is seen, a child in the town will die, piecing the puzzle together, the ending is somewhat obvious. As planned, Kipp's son and his nanny come to visit him by train, but the plans had changed, and they were immediately meant to go back home. However, as Kipps says his goodbye, the boy goes onto the train tracks, and walks towards a train. Kipps goes to rescue him, and they die together, much to the horror of onlookers. The Woman in Black, and all her victims, are shown behind the train. In the 'anti-sad' ending, Kipps and his son are reunited with their wife/mum, though the Woman in Black looks on...So yeah, it's spoilt a bit by being too predictable at times, not making some moments scary enough, and ruined by one scene making the end too predictable. Ooops, just read through that, seems to ramble on too much and not really talk about much, but meh...

6.5/10

^Nope, I haven't read the book, seen the play or anything like that. There's reasons behind that, though I'll probably end up reading the book sooner or later.I don't think that I have missed the point, but I guess I could be missing something which is staring me in the face.. The thing with the film was I liked the story, but the scares that went with it were just too predictable...

I haven't seen anything else, didn't know what it was and had low expectations cos of it being Harry Potter.I got to see it in a completely dead screen, where I felt very much alone... and yeah, it blew me away. I was proper scared (and tbh, even if things were predictable, its still bloody well done and pretty good).Girl I was with adores her hammer horror films, loves this genre, and still found this creepy as **** and couldn't sleep. I thought it was epic, and wanna see it again (and why not, I get free tickets :huh:).Muppets on the other hand, can only remember christmas tale, and about half a scene of one tv programme, so had no attachment to them. Thought it was way too soppy/disneyfied for me. Apart from the "Am I a man or a muppet" song, which is utterly epic.

• 1 month later...

So The Hunger Games?

Simply Amazing.

It had me hooked to the screen through-out the movie! Very Tense and mixed emotions of plenty, one second had me nearly in tears and the other laughing,

The Actors was brilliant, not a flaw in their acting at all and the story line is very easy to get into (Jennifer Lawrence being amazing in her character & Josh Hutcherson being as hot as ever)

The books are even more better than the movie aswell, this could be (and if I say so myself better) the next HP/Twilight movie franchise, Cannot wait for the 2nd book to come out :lol:

I 110% recommend you if you've not seen it to go!

10/10

Posted Image

May the odds be ever in your favour.

Hunger Games

Having wanting to see it for a while, finally saw Hunger Games today.

Haven't read the books, so didn't know much about the film (other than the whole fight to the death thing). Was well acted by all the characters, has a story line which doesn't drag on but doesn't feel rushed and everything about it clicks together. There are a couple of things which I feel should have been done differently, as there were a couple of bits which were a little bit too predictable / weren't given enough suspense, and the ending feels a little bit...weird. (Though this may be inherited from the book).

Good, solid film, will probably end up reading the books and look forward to the sequel.

8/10

The Cabin In The Woods

5 teenagers go to a remote cabin in some woodland for a partying weekend and **** goes down, same old recycled horror formula? Not in this film! Cabin In The Woods is incredibly genius and breathes fresh life into the dying horror film genre. You think you know the story but this is completely different to any horror film before. I can't really say too much without giving it all away, this is one of those films where the less you know about it the more you will enjoy it. Absolutely loved it!

9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Hunger Games. It's seriously ace, even if you've not read the books like myself (just to copy others who've also said that).

Also went to see Battleships today - I intended on seeing Mirror Mirror but it was fully booked, so ended up with this. And well, it's good. But not as awesome as Hunger Games of which I watched straight after. Woo!

Avengers

Joss Whedon is SUCH a fab writer and director, he was a the perfect choice for this film and it really shines through... The characters all share a good amount of screen time and one liners, with no one character being focused on (which was a worry from fans as that Iron Man would get all the fun)... But some good development of smaller characters and lovely shots during the big fight scene showed a great piece of technique...

Mark Ruffalo was also exceptionally good as Bruce Banner, and had probably the best one liner in the entire film...

Great fun, great writing, great views of Scarlett Johansson's boobies...

9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Seen Avengers and American Pie: The Reunion recently, both EPIC! I never really got into Superhero movies, but after seeing Avengers I have Thor and Captain America recorded on Sky Movies. I loved the film so so much, it was a perfect mixture of action, witty one-liners and some very nice camera shots. If you don't want it spoiled then don't read on, but when Hulk smashed Loki to pieces after being insulted by him I couldn't contain my laughter at all, the whole cinema was in tears at that point. Also, it set up a sequel very nicely at the end, which some people may have missed as it was after the credits. A genius film that has really got me into superhero movies, a solid 9/10.

For American Reunion, I was worried about this film beforehand, the guys were older now and the jokes I assumed would be stale and un-original. How wrong I was! Unlike the first 3 Pie films (which are the only ones worth watching tbh), this film has so many funny moments all the way through, as apposed to hilarious iconic scenes. Seann William-Scott put in another astounding performance as Stiffler (my favourite actor and character in any film). All the way through everyone in the cinema was laughing and loving the film. Only problem with it that I can think of is that they talk about meeting up and partying every year, this could mean more Pie films in the future. A 'reunion' film was clever and they got away with it, but I don't feel like they could really take this series any further in the future, and I hope they don't (unless they have some very good ideas for a future film). This was definitely my favourite Pie film and as usual it had a wonderful soundtrack, I'd give it a 9/10 (purely because there were some cringey moments and the first 15 mins or so was average).

All in all, if you haven't seen either of these films, SEE THEM!

Marvel have really pushed these post credits sequences since Iron Man... In fact the Avengers gets a SECOND one in America (but isn't as interesting as the one we get anyway, it is just a continuation of a previous joke)...

Even so, Joss Whedon :wub:

Watched Dark Shadows.

Well, it's weird Tim Burton style. But it's not great, actually rather.. bland. The marketing for it is terrible, marketing it as a very funny film however any jokes are quite deadpan. Left feeling rather disappointed, but glad I only paid £3.95 for the film.

If I had to rate it? Cos I'm awful at trying to review things, I'd just say 6/10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • pluk featured this topic