Storm Surge

Marc

I do think that Storm Surge captures the imagination of many people.

In theory, it has everything - a shared experience suitable for most, height, speed, spinning, a light splash of water. Given the selection of water rides at Thorpe, I can see why Storm Surge appeals to many, and why people are always prepared to queue a long time for it compared to many other rides.

Storm Surge would be fine if;

1. The theming had been finished and a better attempt made at hiding the ugly parts

2. The ride was in a better location

The current location of the ride ruins the skyline of the park, it used to flow perfectly when you looked from the exit of the dome but Storm Surge now sticks out like a sore thumb.

4 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

fRgEQg1.gif

How else do you explain why people actively look at an hour long queue and go 'Yes, this seems like a good way to spend my time'?

Doesn't matter what the actual reaction to it is. If people are willing to spend an hour queueing for it, it IS capturing their attention and imagination.

20 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

I get that appeal, but really does Storm Surge have that? When I think of my rides on it, I remember tarmac, gravel, dirty primary colours, sitting in a puddle... Oh god I'm getting flashbacks

It could do with a scrub now that you mention it. The only thing that's depressing is when you go under it and it's full of dirty puddle from the rides leakage. 

1 hour ago, Benin said:

Or is it the Spinball/Truckers effect? 

People walking past it, and just join the queue because everything else is closed?

Plus the turd throughput doesn't help...

This is the thing though, even when other rides are open, it still attracts a long queue. It's one of the few rides which constantly has a queue.

Turd throughput explains why it has a long queue time. It doesn't explain why people see the long queue time and go 'yes, let's join that queue'..

29 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

It doesn't explain why people see the long queue time and go 'yes, let's join that queue'..

Because people are thick. Next question? ;) 

It probably is part of that slightly more visually prominent position (in comparison to Rapids), and is nowhere near as wet as Tidal Wave (in theory)... From a guest perspective, there's more to appeal to, especially when you factor in the central location where pretty much everyone walks past at some point...

Why do people with kids join an hour long queue for Truckers? Because it's there...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd forgotten I'd put myself through this a couple of weeks back. 

It doesn't spin, there are no pads.

The boats are ankle deep in water.

They leave the water curtain on in cold drizzly weather.

The staff don't care if you sit with your feet up, cross legged, etc. Which is fun I suppose but I'm guessing not compliant with their own operating guidance and asking for an incident really.

They've somehow managed to make the position of it even more if a nonsense with the pointless blocking in of X.

It sucks. It sucks as hard as it is possible to suck.