Storm Surge

Marc

^ If the ride had looked like the one in the concept art, and if it ran properly, I'm sure it wouldn't get so much hate.  At the moment it just downgrades the whole area, fails to shift a queue on even the quietest of days, has worse drainage than Storm Force 10 and Valhalla, doesn't offer a good ride experience now that the "spinners" are mostly broken, and the few water effects that it has barely work.  Also, the one good thing about the ride (the theme music) didn't seem to be playing at all this year.

If they had done the job properly, it could have looked fine.  I am still of the opinion that it looked much better at Cypress (from photos anyway), probably because the supports were out of the way.  I'm sorry, but it doesn't have a place at Thorpe in my opinion.  It can't shift a queue, doesn't offer the ride experience it should, and leaves you with soaking wet shoes.  If they carried out the necessary work to get the ride looking presentable and with an acceptable capacity, my opinion of it might change.

I don't mind storm surge purely due to the fact that every time I've visited since it's been there it's had one of the longest queues in the park

the way I see it, all the people that decided to queue that long for it are people that could otherwise be taking up space in whichever ride I've decided to queue for, so all is good.

The only time it's had a short queue on my visit is the one time I decided to try it out and to say the least I was disappointed :P It's not even like Loggers leap where it's usually only the people you're with that are in the same boat so you can have a laugh, we had to awkwardly sit opposite a group of people on a ride that isn't capable of focusing your attention on anything else  :blush: but that might just be my social skills

I don't mind storm surge purely due to the fact that every time I've visited since it's been there it's had one of the longest queues in the park

the way I see it, all the people that decided to queue that long for it are people that could otherwise be taking up space in whichever ride I've decided to queue for, so all is good.

The only time it's had a short queue on my visit is the one time I decided to try it out and to say the least I was disappointed :P It's not even like Loggers leap where it's usually only the people you're with that are in the same boat so you can have a laugh, we had to awkwardly sit opposite a group of people on a ride that isn't capable of focusing your attention on anything else :blush: but that might just be my social skills

You know the only reason it has that queue is because it gets through like 300 people an hour, so there isn't really a great benefit to any of the other queues...

Since when?

The storyline behind is and has always been a contraption to capture water built by some Hillbillys.

I just put 2 and 2 together, with all the fire hydrants and the amity fire department car at the front of the queue. I knew someone built the ride to drain all the water away from the tidal waves, and the amity fire department fits the bill for what I understand to be the theme.

Or we could just admit that any storyline attached to the ride was an afterthought, much like the ride coming to Thorpe was...

Not to say that a ride needs a storyline to be good, but let's not attach really crappy ones to rides to give it any semblence of it's location to make actual logical sense to the park's themes... Especially given that this was added when the park itself decided that theme areas were not applicable...

Probably a bit of a non-post, but I noticed when going past the park that the metal box structure on top of the lift hill was partially dismantled.

As I say, probably means nothing, but if they plan on doing something with it, it can only be an improvement!

Wasn't that there due to the fact it had a gazebo at the top of the lifthill when it was at Cypress Gardens?

Yes (see SCB's post further up this page :P ).

Just missed them! :blink:

But seriously, Storm Surge really needs some touching up! Firstly by repainting the flume so it actually blends in with the area, while secondly just add in more themeing elements! (Remember those tipping buckets the posters boasted?)

...or alternatively, just get rid of it altogether!