Storm Surge

Marc

There were 7 rides in and around the Octopus Garden area where Storm Surge stands now (you can see where some of them were by how they've filled in the land!).  They were all very small though. 

So a flat ride could fit there.  I'd be interested to hear what sort of flat ride people think could go there though; both in terms of space and adding to the Thorpe line up.  Storm Surge might have its flaws, but there would be an obvious gap in Thorpe's line up without it. 

• 2 months later...
On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 7:32 AM, BaronC. said:

Storm Surge might have its flaws, but there would be an obvious gap in Thorpe's line up without it. 

Really? They are not a standard ride type that people 'expect' in any mark (like, errr, a log flume), Thorpe has well above its quota of water rides, and it is sort of like a crapy hybrid of Rapids and Depth Charge which both remain doing a better job than Storm Surge.

No over seemed to think it was needed when it came. I doubt many would miss it if it went now.

12 minutes ago, Josh3103 said:

I think a top spin would fit in nicely

Careful now. These are words which are not to be uttered around these parts!

11 hours ago, pluk said:

Really? They are not a standard ride type that people 'expect' in any mark (like, errr, a log flume), Thorpe has well above its quota of water rides, and it is sort of like a crapy hybrid of Rapids and Depth Charge which both remain doing a better job than Storm Surge.

No over seemed to think it was needed when it came. I doubt many would miss it if it went now.

When you look at their other water rides though, Storm Surge - in theory - fills a good spot...

Tidal Wave - A ride which 90% of people will only ride during summer / hot spring

Rumba Rapids - A 30 year old rapids ride which isn't very rapid, isn't very wet and which many people forget exist

Depth Charge - A 10 second ride with a very low throughput.  Good bit of fun, but far from a staple water ride.

Storm Surge is a family ride which can be 'enjoyed' together, features height to give it a bit of a thrill, can get you a bit wet and I guess is memorable in some sense.  No other water ride offers that at Thorpe at the moment in my opinion.  Obviously, if Loggers Leap was open, or if a substantial amount of money way pumped into Rumba, Storm Surge would be a spare bit and easily lose-able.  But at this stage, I honesty think that if Storm Surge was ripped out and not replaced by a water ride, there would be an obvious gap in the ride line up, and it would hit the park really bad during summer.

Tidal Wave is very wet, but it's still a great ride (and better than Stormforce 10 TBH)

Depth Charge is a Thorpe classic and I consider a fun (though short) attraction

Rumba, it has many flaws but still makes for a pleasant distraction 

Storm Surge just exists. It's about as leaky as it's throughputs and landscaping. 

I dont not know when Storm Surge is for the trash, but it's replacement certainly won't be a top spin as a move like that would just be spinning around for the park.

18 hours ago, Archive said:

Last time I visited Thorpe Park I was genuinly surprised to remember that Storm Surge hadn't just been some lurid dream I had. Its amazing such a pointless and monstrous thing exists. With hillbilly signs and dirt painted on it to try and make it "make sense". Amazing.

How dare you, that is Disney level theming right there! ;) It fits perfectly in the area and is subtly located to blend in perfectly with it's surroundings and does not obscure any other buildings or access routes in the area whatsoever. 

...that said - I do like to dabble with a ride on the mighty Storm Surge now and again, you do get a nice view from the top. The random arrival of Storm Surge almosts suggests to me that maybe someone knew that the wildest ride in the wilderness wasn't going to stick around much longer ;) Or am I giving too much credit?

Yeah its sort of fun for a laugh but you've got to wonder what on earth things have come to, that you've spent so much money to come to a supposedly high quality park and are now riding down a multicolour tube in a dinghy over a concrete/dirt patch. It is funny though and I will never forget its opening on Annual pass day, wowee

1 hour ago, Benin said:

Wonder how much difference would be made if the conveyor worked like all the others in the world and constantly moved, or would it be too dangerous for us?

Surely surges station is far to short for that to work? Although haven't been on any others so no idea how they compare!

8 minutes ago, Ryan said:

^ Those photos bring back memories, what a **** day! Best part was Storm Surge closing due to the rain :lol:

A water ride closing due to rain?! :ph34r:

I don't mind Storm Surge - as long as it is walk on and there is no water in the bottom of the boat.  Went on it last day of the season and it was ridiculous - I was trying to empty the water out using a bottle but gave up.  The actual ride is ok, it's just the journey up the loooong lift hill and bobbing about endlessly at the end that does my nut in (and having wet feet)

7 hours ago, Han30 said:

A water ride closing due to rain?! :ph34r:

I don't mind Storm Surge - as long as it is walk on and there is no water in the bottom of the boat.  Went on it last day of the season and it was ridiculous - I was trying to empty the water out using a bottle but gave up.  The actual ride is ok, it's just the journey up the loooong lift hill and bobbing about endlessly at the end that does my nut in (and having wet feet)

To be fair alot of water rides are affected by rain! 

I remember that annual pass day well - I believe they expected around 5,000 guests and something like 11/12,000 turned up - thats when they shifted to making pass holders pre book for these things!