Terror (Forbidden) Tomb

I seem to remember at the time that Terror/Forbidden tomb was universally lauded and not really liked by the park. It's popularity certainly dropped like a stone over its life and was increasingly ignored by guests visiting. Hence why it changed to Tomb Blaster. Now it's more popular then it's ever been so I think it was the right decision to retheme it back in 2002.

Because such cameras weren't easily commercially available in the late 80s.

Also the culture of photographing everything and anything didn't exist then, since the internet didn't exist so there was no way of sharing videos with the public.

It's very lucky that this video from 1996 exists to be honest.

To be fair, the majority of Terror Tomb still exists in Tomb Blaster, bar the finale sequence and the Abdab figures...

That finale is SO 90s though...

I agree, the ending was very 90s! However if it were changed, I wouldn't mind seeing an updated music sequence finale, something like Disney would do. I don't know why, but a song similar to "friends on the other side" from the princess and the frog, I think would fit nicely. But who knows, despite that I feel an update is needed, I can't see it happening for another five years or so.

How can you change the song?!? It's ghoulishly fantastic! Really dated of course, but amazing!

Well anyway yes Tomb Blaster IS only what's left of Terror Tomb after the fun was removed, with the gaps plugged by a giant snake or just nothing at all.

I've never been able to see Tomb Blaster as a ride in itself, it's always felt like a slither of what it was intended to be. All the strangeness and energy of the Terror Tomb (even if it was polarising) was stripped.

It's a loss for all the people who have been through the tomb in the last 12 years havnt been getting the full experience!

How can you change the song?!? It's ghoulishly fantastic! Really dated of course, but amazing!

Well anyway yes Tomb Blaster IS only what's left of Terror Tomb after the fun was removed, with the gaps plugged by a giant snake or just nothing at all.

I've never been able to see Tomb Blaster as a ride in itself, it's always felt like a slither of what it was intended to be. All the strangeness and energy of the Terror Tomb (even if it was polarising) was stripped.

It's a loss for all the people who have been through the tomb in the last 12 years havnt been getting the full experience. All the work that Farmer Studios, Graham Smart and Tussaudes put into the ride is just being wasted at the moment, shame really.

(Saying that, Fifth Dimension was a totally different experience since that was gutted and redesigned entirely, for better or worse!)

Agreed, the queueline of Tomb Blaster sets you up for a spooky, immersive experience and the ride fails to deliver.

Never rode Terror Tomb though :(

The queueline was better as terror tomb with Abdab featured in the room. Plus who remembers the crystal at the exit of the ride which you could try and steal which would then blast air at your hand and make you jump out of your skin? Awesome.

As well as that I loved the Terror Tomb queueline music. I'm sure it sounded similar to egyptian music in RCT2.

The queueline was better as terror tomb with Abdab featured in the room. Plus who remembers the crystal at the exit of the ride which you could try and steal which would then blast air at your hand and make you jump out of your skin? Awesome.

As well as that I loved the Terror Tomb queueline music. I'm sure it sounded similar to egyptian music in RCT2.

Not only that, but there also used to be a creepy (possibly electronic) batching door that slammed open and shut before groups entered the station. I remember this because my Dad once tried pushing it open while it was closed, and, to my young eyes, I thought he really had managed to open it as it coincidentally opened after he gave it a hard push lol.

I do also remember the hole at the exit, though I never dared put my hand in there. Instead, I listened in horror to the (air) sound, wondering what the hell happened to people's hands when they put them in!

I loved this ride, it felt so real to me as a child and I'm so glad to see the recently uploaded old videos of it on Youtube. Looking back, I cannot believe how scary it actually was!

• 2 weeks later...

But I believe some of the Professor Burp props still reside above the Mexican Cantina. :)

Ha, I think I was the one that circulated that rumour years ago, but to be honest I have no idea whose department office is based above Mexican Cantina! Would be nice if it was true.

Here's the Tomb prop room for those who haven't seen it before, with the snake pit AbDab (the only one left) highlighted...

StorageRoomIIcopy_zpsdcdbf036.jpg

ScreenShot2014-04-13at113950_zps0ec576fd

His visible metal animatronic arm has fallen off and a twig amusingly shoved up his nose. There was also an old BubbleWorks prop being happily beaten up by some children when I was in the queue.

BLOODY KIDS! :angry2:

Even last time I went to Chessington, I was queueing for Vampire and there were SO MANY kids climbing through the fences and toying with the theming! I even saw this one kid who PUSHED OVER one of the gravestones!

• 1 year later...