Chessington Trip Reports

haha, Joe Wright :)JOKES, well yh it was him... It certainly was NOT me...

I have proof of just how wet Tom was when we went on Billy's Whizzer :)PHOTO WHICH I QUOTED WRONG

I\'m Sorry, but why do I look SO bad in ALL your pictures... but yh XD Billy's Whizzer RULES

• 1 month later...

Here comes an interesting trip report from today:. I went to Chessington today, and as I am blind an in a wheel chair, things wern't quite as straight forward:We left the house about 10, got in the car listening to now 70. Estel, Black and gold, Chris Brown, Usher, and all kinds of new pop sounds.We arived at chessington at about 10 40, got out the car and headed for the entrance. Once we payed and got our ticket, we headed to guest services to get a special pass (I can't think of the name right now) but it lists 8 rides, that are likely to be the most busiest and once you have gone to one of those rides, they write you a time and you can't come back to any of the big rides for that long.We first headed to rattle snake in the Mexicana area of the park. It's a very good ride, full of twists and turns and drops... very cool!. After that we headed to Beno land, where my sister rode the dojums while the rest of us rode the swings. I did the usual thing, and sit on the inside so I didon't get wet, there are plenty of other places that you can get water from. :PAfter everyone else got soaked on the swings, we headed for tomb blaster. We breefly stopped at RR to watch the riders faces as they got water in there face, then walked on.We didon't wait long for the toomb (1 train before us) before we were off shooting the lazers. I love this ride also, the lazers, the music, the anouncements and well, it's the longest ride I think, but not sure. After checking our scores on the screens, we headed for the other rides again. Next was dragon falls, another ride I didon't like, so the girls went on and we watched from the station. We heard them scream when they were coming down the hill... and that was cool!. Next was peaking heights, the girls didon't like this one, so we went on. You need to relax some time after the thrills... haha. We got hot dogs after, and I got talking to some guests telling them the best part of chessington, what to ride, where to eat etc, I know the place out the back of my hand!. Next was runaway train, which proved popular with the whole family, the girl even let us go 4 times round the circuit!. After a loud comotion on the pirate ship (which I also enjoyed) we headed to Transalvania, where I hoped to ride on the BubbleWorks. They wouldn't stop the ride at first, because apparently they wern't meant to. I talked to the operator, and asked if it would be so difficult to stop 1 boat to let me on, they said no, and if I was that bothered, go see what guest services could do for me.On the way to guest services, we talked about how unhelpful and aragant the people there were, and I said I was determined to ride the Bubbleworks, as it was the best ride for me.I had a good chat with guest services, explaining that I had never had a problem with the bubbleworks before, and they always stopped the boat to let me on. The lady called up the ride, and said to us that we could go on and that they would stop it for us, but to make sure we had 1 of her assistants Laura take us down there.Laura was very nice, while all of us explained what was going on, and she also looked in to the vampire, as she thaught there was another way in, and not all the steps as the only option. I also commented on a stqaff member at the Runaway train, who proved very helpful with on loading and offloading. We did finally get on the ride, although by this time we were all really anoyed, in fact it was like our day had been spoilt. What makes it worse, the new bubbleworks sponsor is not exactly good, I find the ride has lost some of it's apeal (bring the old one back!). The water was cold as ever though.On our way back, we noticed that the bash street bus area had been shut off, in other words you could not get to it. We talked about the fact that maybe it will be closed at the end of this year, and replaced with something else.We went for a KFC in market square, I had chicken and chips... was very good!. You know you can get that chicken on the bone, that!Our final stop was Hocus Pocus hall, but soon changed our minds once inside, as both the chair and the buttons were broken. We enjoyed the music though, and all the spooky sounds... even the mirror maze at the end!. Then we went back home, listening to the same music as we did on the way.All in all, the trip was okay. I have accesibillity issues with Chessington, and I hope to find an email address for them so I can get my voice heard.

And now a voice of a staff member (although I'm glad my areas rides were helpful :D)

Here comes an interesting trip report from today:. I went to Chessington today, and as I am blind an in a wheel chair, things wern't quite as straight forward:

Basically there are four rides at Chessington that you need to be able to get on and off without the aid of helpers at Chessington. They are the Runaway Train, Rattlesnake, Bubbleworks and Dragon Falls. Now I'm not exactly sure what the rule is about stopping Bubbleworks to allow guests in wheelchairs onto the ride (Peter may be able to explain further) What you have to remember is that the staff don't want to run the risk of getting in trouble for breaking a health and safety rule. It would be rude for me to ask how well you can walk but remember when you e-mail Chessington, is that the staff members were just going by the Code of Safe Working practise. They shouldn't have been rude to you though, and that is not on.If you have any questions about some of the disabled policies Chessington has just send me a PM, Ill try and help you out and maybe pass on your comments. :P

And now a voice of a staff member (although I'm glad my areas rides were helpful :P)Basically there are four rides at Chessington that you need to be able to get on and off without the aid of helpers at Chessington. They are the Runaway Train, Rattlesnake, Bubbleworks and Dragon Falls. Now I'm not exactly sure what the rule is about stopping Bubbleworks to allow guests in wheelchairs onto the ride (Peter may be able to explain further) What you have to remember is that the staff don't want to run the risk of getting in trouble for breaking a health and safety rule. It would be rude for me to ask how well you can walk but remember when you e-mail Chessington, is that the staff members were just going by the Code of Safe Working practise. They shouldn't have been rude to you though, and that is not on.If you have any questions about some of the disabled policies Chessington has just send me a PM, Ill try and help you out and maybe pass on your comments. :D

Mark. I understand the risks, Rattle Snake and Runaway train are actually 2 rides I really like at the park, easy to get on and off, fun, and usually have friendly operators. :DMay I ask what you do at chessington?. It would be nice if you could give me an email address for them, not so much to complain, but to tell them how I felt about the experience. Ido see the points, but I also think it kinds of spoils it for others, for example, a family of 5, with say 2 disabled. The other 3 could go on the ride, but what about the disabled?. They have a much right to ride the Bubbleworks as a sighted person, I'm not getting at you, but I go all the time and I've never been so insulted in all my life. Anyway, I'm going oftopic and we don't want that. If you can help anymore or have something to say, you know where to find me

Another staff member here! Mark works in Rides and Attractions, as do I (also glad to hear our area rides, Rattle and Runaway, were good!). With the four rides he listed, the issue is more with evacuation in the event of an emergency than the actual getting on and off the ride. For example, with Rattlesnake and The Runaway Train whilst it may be easy enough to get in and out of the ride, if the car/train stopped for whatever reason while you were on the circuit and we had to evacuate it, both of these rides can only be evacuated with the use of ladders. Therefore we are required by Health & Safety Regulations to only allow those who can walk unaided onto the ride, as ladders can are of course near impossible to use if you can't walk. I imagine it's the same kind of reasoning for both Dragon Falls and Bubbleworks.One other issue I can think of is that if the boats in the Bubbleworks station are stopped, those on the circuit are going to keep moving, causing them all to stack up at the entrance to the station and the bottom of the lift hill. The is different to say, Dragons Fury, where we can easily stop and start the cars for people to get in and out if need be. I don't know if this would cause any technical with Bubbleworks as it's not a ride I've ever worked on, so Peter would probably be the best person to ask about that.I do agree there is never any excuse for rude or arrogant staff members though. Of course sometimes you're just having a bad day but you should always make sure you're polite and couteous, especially when you know that sadly you're going to have to tell a guest something they don't want to hear.I can appreciate why you (and believe me, many other disabled guests) feel that there being four rides you my be unable to go on is unfair, however you can get on the vast majority of our best attractions, and whilst I can imagine it's very dissapointing, we are only looking out for your best interests by enforcing the laws layed down for us by the government.Here's a quote from the Chessington website for you about leaving comments about your day, I've included the address that you'll need to write to.

If you would like to make a comment regarding a recent visit to Chessington & Zoo, please put your comments in writing enclosing a proof of purchase such as a booking reference, a receipt or your entry tickets and send them to the following address:Guest ServicesChessington & ZooLeatherhead RoadChessingtonSurreyKT9 2NE

I'm also more than willing to help out with any questions etc. you may have if need be. :PAlex.

Another staff member here! Mark works in Rides and Attractions, as do I (also glad to hear our area rides, Rattle and Runaway, were good!). With the four rides he listed, the issue is more with evacuation in the event of an emergency than the actual getting on and off the ride. For example, with Rattlesnake and The Runaway Train whilst it may be easy enough to get in and out of the ride, if the car/train stopped for whatever reason while you were on the circuit and we had to evacuate it, both of these rides can only be evacuated with the use of ladders. Therefore we are required by Health & Safety Regulations to only allow those who can walk unaided onto the ride, as ladders can are of course near impossible to use if you can't walk. I imagine it's the same kind of reasoning for both Dragon Falls and Bubbleworks.One other issue I can think of is that if the boats in the Bubbleworks station are stopped, those on the circuit are going to keep moving, causing them all to stack up at the entrance to the station and the bottom of the lift hill. The is different to say, Dragons Fury, where we can easily stop and start the cars for people to get in and out if need be. I don't know if this would cause any technical with Bubbleworks as it's not a ride I've ever worked on, so Peter would probably be the best person to ask about that.I do agree there is never any excuse for rude or arrogant staff members though. Of course sometimes you're just having a bad day but you should always make sure you're polite and couteous, especially when you know that sadly you're going to have to tell a guest something they don't want to hear.I can appreciate why you (and believe me, many other disabled guests) feel that there being four rides you my be unable to go on is unfair, however you can get on the vast majority of our best attractions, and whilst I can imagine it's very dissapointing, we are only looking out for your best interests by enforcing the laws layed down for us by the government.Here's a quote from the Chessington website for you about leaving comments about your day, I've included the address that you'll need to write to.I'm also more than willing to help out with any questions etc. you may have if need be. :PAlex.

wow. so many staff here... I was not aware!. but yeah, okay, here's the points:1:. let me asure you I have no problems with runaway and rattle snake. if they did have to be evacuated, I could probably manage it (wonders where you walk when a ride is evacuated!)2:. I always thaught the reason for dragon falls moving constantly is because of the fact that it is run by a current. if the ride stops, the current stops. :P. or at least... that's what I was made to think by the dragon falls staff.3:. yeah good point about the bubble works, how does it actually work?. can they stop the boat maybe if the boats are no where near the station?. granted, I finally got them to stop it today, but who knows about the future.4: some of your best atractions?. let's point this out, bubbleworks and vampire are 2 of your best atractions, 1 I've had no problems with in the past, and as for the vampire I gave up on that because of the steps. how the hell do you expect to get a disabled person up all them!. it's like sky way, although last time I went there was a hill to get to the station. dragon falls I can't do because it won't stop, so apart from fury, runaway and rattle I'm pretty screwed!.there's always beno land, I like the swings there, and I also like toom blaster in forbidden kingdom even though I'm not good at firing the lazers.then you got hocus pocus hall, yeah, great when the accessible bits are working, but when it's not it's just a walk through. I'm not trying to make chessington sound like a bad place, I just think the way I was treated today was really unfair. I have never had a problem in the past, accept for when maybe a ride was downe, or something got lost.oh.... no email address?. brilliant!. how can a disabled person send a letter to guest services. hmmm.I will write to both of you in future, I am interested among other things, how it all works

If you are able to walk unaided, then as far as I'm aware there is no reason why you shouldn't have got on anything!As you mention, being water rides both Dragon Falls and Bubbleworks boats are moved by the water in the current, provided by the pumps moving the water through the troughs. If the pumps stop, the boats will eventually stop, however this would be far from instantaneous, and especially in the case of Bubbleworks the boats would probably stack up at the bottom of the lift/station before they come to rest of their own accord.I agree with you on Vampire, while as far as I'm aware if you can't walk unaided you are permitted to ride, actually getting to the disabled entrance itself is somewhat a task! However Vampire is another ride I don't work on, so you'd be better off asking someone in that area if there is a seperate wheelchair entrance because I'm not sure.Alex.

I find the thing about 'able to walk unaided' down a lift hill is a complete joke. We have evac chairs to get them down stairs at College, what's wrong with that at CWoA on something like Vampire...

Considering you are able to go on Vampire regardless of if you can walk or not it doesn't matter. On Rattlesnake there are only a series of very thin vertical ladders to get down from the very top and on Runaway Train it does depend on where people are evacuated on. People are taken off by a series of step ladders and have to get of the train from the angled track.. not as easy as it sounds. I'm not sure if its still the case with Falls but from what I recall, the reason guests need to be able to walk is because they used to only evacuate 2-4 people at a time. I don't know whether thats still the case though.

sabastian: that's a very good idea, I'm with you on thatjames: I think you are right about bubble works, but I am unsure about falls. they should at least make it stop for memark: thanks for the information about the evacuating, very interesting actually, since I've always been interested in how the rides work

Bubbleworks.. the ride is basically, if you cant walk unaided, you cant go on. Simple things, and the steps makes the attendants job that little bit easier. Stopping the conveyor, stops all the boats on the conveyor, causes the boats to jam together, which not only means people are stuck at the end of fountain finale getting wet, it means that we also have a fecking massive gap (sometimes up to 2mins) with no boats because they've stacked up.Naturally we try to eliminate this. Every disabled rider asks for it to be stopped, and if we did that the throughput would go down massively, and also 99% of time is completely unneeded.. there was a 40min queue most of the day anyway. However, if it looked like you really couldn't manage, it should've been stopped. But yus, I wasn't working today :P

Well..I went today for the first time in years, and I absolutely loved it, I just think it is a great happy place, vampire wasn't open which was very annoying though, I think it was quite busy, didn't do many rides but I enjoyed it. I especially love Dragons Fury and Tomb Blaster (even though I'm rubbish). Although while queuing for Dragons Fury we got quite close to the station but suddenly it all came to a stop, I could see the ride operators arguing with someone in the car about to leave the station, I'm still not too sure what happened but about 15 minutes later security arrived and took them away. Apart from that it was great fun.RideCount..Bubbleworks - 1Rameses Revenge - 2Tomb Blaster - 2Dragons Fury - 1

• 1 month later...

Went to Chessington today for Halloween Hocus Pocus, and had an awsome time.Firstly, let me say that I really think chessington have put a lot of effert in, to make the rides, the park and even the staff look spooky.:)Anyway, my highlights of the day was Hocus Pocus hall, the part where the skeliton tuched you..... spooky!. Also the fog on Vampire, very diffrent to the usual structure.Staff were friendly and helpful as usual, with 2 gos on Billy's Wizzer, humourous jokes, and just usual friendly persinalities making it worth while going.Inigma (the show at Market Square) was not what I expected at all, in fact I was quite let down. It was not what I thaught at all, and we actually walked away after a while. It was strange though, all the kids seemed to like Dragons fury as there best ride when asked.In other parts of the park, it was good to see entertainment in Beanoland. Not only were the operators making everyone laugh as you rode, trick or treat doors was very good, and the usual stuff at the mad house just made it for me.All in all, I think it was a pleasant and enjoyable experience. I'd love to see a new show next year, but apart from that, everything was up to standard