THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

So lets get one thing straight here, is this a real tank or not. Decommissioned or not? Regardless of that, I would imagine it's going to stay at Thorpe because if the white writing on the side of the picture above. Forgive me if I'm wrong but surely who ever has given Thorpe the tank wouldn't let do that if they're not going to keep it?

So lets get one thing straight here, is this a real tank or not. Decommissioned or not? Regardless of that, I would imagine it's going to stay at Thorpe because if the white writing on the side of the picture above. Forgive me if I'm wrong but surely who ever has given Thorpe the tank wouldn't let do that if they're not going to keep it?

Well, it wouldn't be too hard to simply paint back over the white paint.

Guys, decommissioned tanks aren't that rare to come across and buy - you can legally drive them on the road! Just look on eBay, you get loads of ex-Military vehicles on there for a few grand (there's a tank on there at the moment for £4500!) So I think you're all worrying about this too much xD A couple of months ago I genuinely saw two tanks on the dual carriageway - with L Plates on!Long story short - it's really not that hard to go buy a tank and drive it around!

Okay looking at that photo I can almost certainly say it isn't real. There is nowhere near enough mechanical gear on the turret gun, and the turret itself looks ridiculously plain and has no detail, markings, lifting lugs ect. Being a cadet I'm probably more familiar with this stuff than most... And to me it looks fake.Aside from that, yay for track!

I always did think the turret and the chassis look like two completely different hunks of metal just stuck together. That'd be in keeping with Merlin's themeing expertise *cough*. The chassis looks like it came from a real tank but the turret does look very cheap and nothing like a proper tank turret - as Adam said, there's no lifting lugs to change the barrel's shot height, and of course it's pencil-thin compared to your average tank barrel..

I always did think the turret and the chassis look like two completely different hunks of metal just stuck together. That'd be in keeping with Merlin's themeing expertise *cough*. The chassis looks like it came from a real tank but the turret does look very cheap and nothing like a proper tank turret - as Adam said, there's no lifting lugs to change the barrel's shot height, and of course it's pencil-thin compared to your average tank barrel..

The chasis is a real tank but the turret has been stuck on to make it look more like a tank :-)

The turret does look pretty fake but it's still a pretty exciting regardless of it being a piece of theming or part of a forthcoming publicity stunt. If they do use it for theming it would be a nice surprise that wasn't mentioned in the plans and we could hope to see other bits of theming arrive on park soon. If not, then it should be interesting to see what they do with the tank in the sense of advertising/publicity between now and next year!

Does it REALLY matter that the turret is fake?Did Thorpe even need this tank? No... But they've brought this in as an excellent piece of theming... Sure they have just stuck a quick-fix turret to make it look more Tank-like (it is after all, just an APC), but does that really matter?Let them have this moment of goodness...

Well, one thing we can say about this tank is that it is definitely doing it's job for advertising; even if I'm not sure if it was Thorpe's aim to discuss whether the tank is fake or not... =/Definitely surprised that there are track pieces on site already! Considering the supports aren't even going up yet (or on site?) and don't even think all the footers are done.

I thought I could see the start of the station foundations when I was there at the end of July, so it's good to hear that it's done. I suppose it makes sense to do it early because unlike Saw which just needed the cladding sheets fixed to the skeleton, this looks like it will need much more work in terms of themed render and stonework. It'll be good to see the station track go in! On that note, anyone else think the stations for these look really weird with the track sitting on the floor rather than recessed? I know it can't be helped because of the seats being so much lower, but it looks wrong! ;)

On that note, anyone else think the stations for these look really weird with the track sitting on the floor rather than recessed? I know it can't be helped because of the seats being so much lower, but it looks wrong! ;)

It does look very odd; seen a few station videos from Raptor and seems all they can really do is put a curved wall up against the track to prevent people from attempting to climb up and onto the track. Wouldn't put it past the chosen few idiots to give that one a try.

Good stuff, if vertical construction has began, we should be seeing more track arriving very soon. Although the pics I have seen of the track already there does not look like straight station track to me, but hey, it is hard to make out. Does anyone know for sure if we have any footers yet? hopefully we will get some more pics soon! ;)

Good stuff, if vertical construction has began, we should be seeing more track arriving very soon. Although the pics I have seen of the track already there does not look like straight station track to me, but hey, it is hard to make out. Does anyone know for sure if we have any footers yet? hopefully we will get some more pics soon! ;)

We have some footers, though some are yet to be poured. I think I'd be right in saying we have all the footer 'casings' (concrete rings that supports are cemented into place in) on-site and in place now, as they arrive mid-July.