THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

I find it funny everyone was adamant that no track had arrived even though on the 3rd of August I made the annoucement that track had arrived.

Well, you didn't announce it really, unless this is what you call an announcement:

A nice shiny white crane arrived on-site today, along with this a big truck with a blue container behind... Anyone want to take a guess as to what was inside the container?

That is just a cryptic clue in my eyes.

Another No Limits Swarm recreation (or creation)

. This one includes some of the themeing such as the plane, helicopter, lakes and the destroyed station building. Whilst not the smoothest track, it certainly gives more of a feel of how the ride will look compared to videos of green hills and trees.
Very nice "recreation", thanks for posting ;) +1!!SO MUCH SPECULATION!! Not that it matters, but how do B&M ship the track, and who transports it to thorpe?

Woo!I've been away for a while and missed the announcement, but was pleasantly surprised by it to be honest. I'm still looking forward to quite a few new rides next year over this, but I was expecting a monumental cock up from Merlin. As long as no external sponsors get involved I will be happy.

I wonder if the uniformed men in that photograph are real soldiers or more actors? Soldiers would mean that the tank if definitely temporary as it appears to be under frequent observation from those who know how to use it. Actors would be ideal because it means Thorpe are already paying the finer attention to detail; a promising sign for further developments.

This is possibly the greatest post I've seen on any forum. Ever.

It's brought over by ship from Ohio where it is manufactured... As far as I know B&M have stopped producing track in Switzerland? As for the final leg from Dover / Portsmouth to the park, I have no idea.

As far as I know the actual tubular track is made in Switzerland, the box section and supports are made in Ohio. The manufactured tubular track is shipped fromSwitzerland to Ohio to be welded to the box sections and painted, then the whole thing along with supports is shipped back over this way to be bolted together. The sections are sent out three up in containers and stay in the container until on site, so it's just going to be on the back of a lorry round the M25 I would think. Can't for the life of me remember where I read this, but it was somewhere reputable and I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it.Seems like an uneconomical bizarre set up to me but it must work or they wouldn't do it. By the time we get it it is one well travelled bit of track!

As far as I know the actual tubular track is made in Switzerland, the box section and supports are made in Ohio. The manufactured tubular track is shipped fromSwitzerland to Ohio to be welded to the box sections and painted, then the whole thing along with supports is shipped back over this way to be bolted together. The sections are sent out three up in containers and stay in the container until on site, so it's just going to be on the back of a lorry round the M25 I would think. Can't for the life of me remember where I read this, but it was somewhere reputable and I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it.Seems like an uneconomical bizarre set up to me but it must work or they wouldn't do it. By the time we get it it is one well travelled bit of track!

Nice little summary! Many thanks

Excuse me while I dig up the past and kill some speculation, which I do feel was never really settled:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hTc-yd9UYTank: real.Turret: fake.Let us never speak of it again. In other news, The Swarm's track has temporarily disappeared, probably covered up to stop is rusting at the pedestrian rate this project is trundling along. And some funky lookin' metal girders/cages are on-site. Source: some guy with photos from Theme UK. I send love and thanks. You can see some of the footer's cylindrical concrete casings in picture one.Posted ImagePosted ImageStation skeleton?More here. Majority of the rest are a right bore though. It seems little's been done since the start of the month what with the rather unpredictable weather and such.BUT YAY PROGRESS. GLORIOUS MUDDY PROGRESS.

I hate to make this seem even more boring than it already is, but the cages have been on site for a while :blush: The girders haven't though, and they do look like probable station framing so at least something has happened! This really is moving along very slowly... Although I wouldn't mind betting quite a few more footers have gone in, the pile of casings seems to have diminished somewhat. Hope they hurry up, or soon we'll have everyone's favourite "It won't be ready in time!!!!" farce. Oh dear.

Well, I would not start to panic until the end of September. If we have not started to see any track going up by then, we can then start the speculation!! Loads of time just yet and this preparation stage always seems to take ages with not much seemingly changing.

Guys, I'm pretty sure they're on top of the schedule. Lets not armchair speculate about them being late with etc. when all we can see is superficial site pictures :closedeyes:Nice to see all of this trundling along, shame we won't get to see the theming being put in. Honestly that's the stuff I really want to see getting built!Dave

*It was sarcasm just to make it clear :blush: I'm sure Thorpe wont get somthing as big as this behind schedule. Even if it's open for 10 minutes like some other rollercoaster I won't mention.

SAW was open for 2 hours on opening, managed to get on and get a free fastrack for next time. Result!Let's hope this ride is a tab more reliable though on opening, SAW was unfortunate.

SAW was open for 2 hours on opening, managed to get on and get a free fastrack for next time. Result!Let's hope this ride is a tab more reliable though on opening, SAW was unfortunate.

10 minutes 2 hours ya know. B&M tend to be more reliable, am I right?

10 minutes 2 hours ya know. B&M tend to be more reliable, am I right?

I'd like to think so, can't remember Inferno's opening because I wasn't bothered about coasters then but I remember Stealth and SAW getting off to a rough start along with Slammer. Hopefully Swarm will be fine though

Gerstlauer's were reliable...Then Saw happened...It shouldn't have an issue... We hope... Let's be honest here ANYTHING could happen to it, regardless of how high the odds would be, but I hope for Thorpe's sake that they don't have another PR opening disaster to contend with...

I'm sure that SWARM will have a faulty, on and off start especially being a winged coaster, but hey its going to be an insane coaster and it will improve its reliability really quick. for example I went to thorpe yesterday and SAW was the only ride running all its trains... how times change

Why because it's a winged coaster?