THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

The sand is intentionally used to dampen noise and reverberation. It has previously been done on Stealth and Nemesis Inferno because of their close proximity to villages/other settlements. The Swarm will be very close to Thorpe Village (the closest of any Thorpe coaster) and so sand-infilling is necessary.

The sand is intentionally used to dampen noise and reverberation. It has previously been done on Stealth and Nemesis Inferno because of their close proximity to villages/other settlements. The Swarm will be very close to Thorpe Village (the closest of any Thorpe coaster) and so sand-infilling is necessary.

Having heard B&Ms which aren't filled with sand, it really is a little bit of a shame that the sound has to be reduced; the roaring really is a brilliant effect, especially with monster themed rides like KUMBA. The sound really would have added to the effect on Swarm but I'd far rather have a quiet ride than no ride at all.Edit: I was going to put Kumba but opted for Kraken because it sounded equally loud from memory.

The name, the slogan, the promo, the concept of this ride all kick arse! I've got a good feeling this is going to be mega, maybe their best rollercoaster yet :rolleyes:

Damning with faint praise I sense here... :blink:Seriously though, this could well be a kick up the backside for all the UK Merlin parks in regards to ride investment, but there could well be too much focus on the big set-pieces and not enough on the little details that make the difference between good and great...

I'm just happy that this coaster has a huge set piece.Colossus is well-landscapedNemesis Inferno is compactStealth is big and quite dominatingSAW is well-themed inside but outside is bareSo it is nice that Swarm will be well themed and well-landscaped. I might go to Thorpe Park once next year, we'll see...

Having heard B&Ms which aren't filled with sand, it really is a little bit of a shame that the sound has to be reduced; the roaring really is a brilliant effect, especially with monster themed rides like Kraken. The sound really would have added to the effect on Swarm but I'd far rather have a quiet ride than no ride at all.

Kraken is filled with sand.

They have a super-secret underground network of rollercoasters specifically built for transporting more rollercoasters.

That's what I thought, I knew I wasn't mad.

All looking very exciting! Whats the situation so far? Last time I visited there was fairly flat land, but nothing else. Any footers built yet? Any guesses where the additional access will be?

Access is behind the island, if you take a look on google maps you'll be able to see. No real news yet. Were still waiting to see the Ready mix lorries :rolleyes:

That's what I thought, I knew I wasn't mad.Access is behind the island, if you take a look on google maps you'll be able to see. No real news yet. Were still waiting to see the Ready mix lorries :rolleyes:

Right. Any idea why Sunken Garden is closed off? Seems a bit odd...

To be honest I'm not sure, that would be the route I would have thought they would take. I haven't been up there, I'll do some diggin for ya! :blink:PS sorry about the double posts :rolleyes: it's difficult on my phone

Afternoon all

Having not visited the park in a while (I am unfortunately stuck in my eugh-it's-too-busy-to-go-now-I'm-used-to-queueing-15mins-for-Stealth, mid-season lull), I'm not sure of the extent of their 'hype themeing' on site, but I'm guessing that every guest that goes on Stealth has this fence shoved in their face? It's prime advertising real estate for adrenalin junkies and close(ish) to contrusction. I think this is the reason for it. If it was IN the Sunken Garden, the number of witnesses to the Begining of The End would be much fewer.It may simply re-open again next season, just see it as a temporary pawn in Thorpes masterplan! (I must not get my hopes up. I must not get my hopes up...)Dodgeits been a while since ive posted, for which I appologise for lurking. rest assured you will all be sick of me in due course! hurrah!

Ok, I feel really late doing this because I've been on holiday the past week, but I just thought I'd share my opinion on the name/new minsite that has been released. :blink:Swarm in my opinion is a brilliant name for this new development and reflects the ride type well, in the way that the trains will be so big, when they fly past you it will look like a 'Swarm' of people flying through the tracks path. Then there is the new minisite... The video is a great teaser and hopefully there will be more to come showing hints of what the full theme could be. The image of the trains looks wonderful, would be great if the front of it actually lit up like eyes, similarly to how it does in the picture, the silver metallic look is also great! Can't wait to see actual ride parts arriving very soon! :rolleyes:

That was probably one of our lorries on site today with more reinforcing steel :blink:Sunken Gardens being closed off is purely for marketing purposes at the moment judging by the plans, a fake entrance if you will - maybe they'll change their minds though and have two access routes to the island?