THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

My initial thoughts were that it would be a real plane, decommissioned of course. But then it occurred to me that 'The Swarm' will fly under its wing. Now I am not sure how this works. Will they have to build reinforcement into the wing structure or is there a tunnel? I am pretty sure H&S would not let a ride simply fly under an old aircraft wing that had not been heavily modified and reinforced in some way. Just a thought.

There probably would be some sort of tunnel holding the wing up. It would be pretty cool if there was some steam effects around it as well that you pass through to add to the extreme first drop. The 'near misses' that the plans show will really ad to the experience too. The church tower, the passing through the inclined loop, the banked turn in the water and passing under the plane wing will really give this ride something more on top of how extreme it could be. Even though this is a short ride, if it lives up to the plans I think it could possibly be Thorpe's best :blink:

If it is diving near the water, do you think there is any chance of some water effect like synced fountains which make it look like the train is clipping the water. They do it on Manta at Seaworld and I think Raptor has it; it really is an amazing effect.

Well I was having a close look at the plans for this one as I wanted to see if the ride comes close enough to the water in that stunning high 'G' turn. It comes very close, but I don't know if it is close enough for water scoops to be added to the train to create a splash effect. The only other way I know of doing it would be like on Manta, with water jets under the water. I think this is a dodgy route to go down, as not only is it expensive, but the likelihood of it still operational at the end of the season is pretty much zero!! :blink:

I would say a most definite yes.Raptor's water effects are triggered as the train passes various turns over the swamp. It doesn't use any water scoops and the train gets pretty wet! Thorpe would be crazy to have missed such effect. If that isn't proof enough, just check out that concept art; looks like water won't be the only effect either!

There is definitely a couple of places in which the water effect could go. I think it will be water jets rather than scoops. however the scoops will prob last longer and have less to go wrong and add as a method to slow the train down as I can see the trains going pretty fast from the size of the drop. I'm hoping the jet engine will blast fire as you pass under the wing/go down the first drop.

There is definitely a couple of places in which the water effect could go. I think it will be water jets rather than scoops. however the scoops will prob last longer and have less to go wrong and add as a method to slow the train down as I can see the trains going pretty fast from the size of the drop. I'm hoping the jet engine will blast fire as you pass under the wing/go down the first drop.

This was discussed on this previous page, but ultimately I think there will be water jets near the helix after the inclined loop; it seems more practical than Manta-esque (even though they could easily be placed as an extension to the sides of the seats, themed as wings). I'm uncertain quite where other effects may take precedence but, as Neil said, judging by the concept art Thorpe do intend to use other effects such as pyrotechnics - possibly near the church or the plane/helicopter? Personally I'd love Thorpe to time fire jets around the helix when the train passes (creating near missed for the riders), but H&S would have a field day.However the effects are installed, if not instantly amazing, this ride will be visually stunning as well as intense to ride if Thorpe play smart with it, but it'll take some serious maintenance to keep up the potential brilliance. Anyone who's worth their TPM membership knows just how bad Inferno's tunnel can be without the smoke effects.

I think Swarm will turn out better than Raptor. I think what is a short ride will be very thrilling and atmospheric.

Well, Raptor itself is a reasonably short ride, as are most wing-riders (Furius Baco jumps to mind but for different reasons) but there are moments where the riders experience very intense G-Force about helices and Zero-G rolls on Raptor, regardless of it's length (or lack thereof). The Swarm has these elements and more - that first drop looks to be hugely intense and all subsequent elements after that blend smoothly and looks to be equally as intense.

Is there any way Thorpe could keep that tank as an extra part of the themeing if they didn't submit it in the planning permission to Runnymede?EDIT: Hmm, the tank does say "WAR IS COMING" which probably means it's only taking up temporary residence on the green. Would be nice if Thorpe kept it though.

Is there any way Thorpe could keep that tank as an extra part of the themeing if they didn't submit it in the planning permission to Runnymede?EDIT: Hmm, the tank does say "WAR IS COMING" which probably means it's only taking up temporary residence on the green. Would be nice if Thorpe kept it though.

Shouldn't see any need for planning permission to show a tank which can be moved and that. The tank could easily be repainted too if they wanted to keep it I guess. :blink:

IF the park actually decides to make the opening of the ride an event (I.e. Make people wait outside the ride and have speeches and stuff), then the possibilities are quite frankly endless...Probably just have the same situation as Saw and Thirteen though where it's first come, first served I guess with no actual event to speak of... Who knows, might even have actors running around during Fright Nights as well, maybe even their new maze (they are having a new one right?) could (and really SHOULD if they wanna really push this ride) link into the story of Swarm... Making it much more than another coaster...A boy can dream...

Just point that thing at storm surge and press the big red button, that'd get them some publicity.If that is a fully working tank (as the track marks behind it suggest) and not a dummy that has been towed into place then it would be worth an absolute fortune and I'm sure won't be staying. Love it though.

Just point that thing at storm surge and press the big red button, that'd get them some publicity.If that is a fully working tank (as the track marks behind it suggest) and not a dummy that has been towed into place then it would be worth an absolute fortune and I'm sure won't be staying. Love it though.

Proper tank, fake turret... So unfortunately nothing will be blown up by it...

Benin's right - it could just be a decommissioned tank with no ammunition/fake turret. But I'd imagine what pluk says is true either way; it's obviously a very expensive piece of equipment whether it's decommissioned or not, but seeing that Thorpe have gone to the lengths of nabbing a plane, a fire engine, a helicopters and numerous other vehicles to theme The Swarm's area I wouldn't be too surprised if the tank did stay. Even to 'rent' this tank would cost money Thorpe could easily save by printing off more fly-posters and hiring more crazed crack-pots, so it seems unusual they would do this even for promotion purposes if they hadn't purchased it.Mind you, all this is nice and pleasing: it promotes the ride, gives enthusiasts something to chew over, and contributes to the realism of the theme, but it'll all amount to nothing if Thorpe replicate Saw-style themeing. We can't really argue that there was some brilliant pieces of themeing for Saw (the rotating saws, the boiler tank, the traps) but the efforts are diluted because none of it was implicitly connected with each other, nor are they placed very well (the traps particularly do seem very randomly placed among cattle-pen queue lines). I'd rather not have a tank at all if Thorpe intend to dump it somewhere barely in view when the ride opens with some vague connection to other themeing, especially seeing as it looks very new and doesn't bode with the destroyed theme the plane, the helicopter and the fire engine share. I don't want to see it randomly placed amidst little or no other themeing and I'm sure others would agree - it needs to be something consistent. What I'm saying is a dirty tank half sunk in a pot-hole or crushed under a fallen wall are credible as a piece of "urban devastation" than a nice clean tank sat comfortably on some fresh green grass, or even gravel. This attention to detail is taken into account with the other pieces of themeing already, so if Thorpe do intend to keep the tank, at least make it look like it wasn't a (relatively) last minute decision.

Well it looks good to me, the atmosphere is really taking shape. Has anyone got any pictures of track onsite? Also if a mod is reading this, why do a vast amount of my posts keep disappearing? I would atleast like to know why?!?

I always thought we'd come to the conclusion it was just reinforcing cages that were delivered but if not then that's awesome :blink: Hopefully someone will be on park and manage one or two snaps soon.Probably best if you PM one of them, they'll be happy to help and they'll hopefully sort it quicker.

^No track has appeared onsite yet... If any had, I'm sure several fanboys would have already taken pics and posted them EVERYWHERE so everyone else can join into the mass joy-a-thon over the fact that track has appeared...

Very true indeed, although I'm not a *fanboy* it's pretty cool knowing they started track construction. :blink: I'm sure you will be part of the " joy-a-thon" heheDo you work there, or just spend alot of time at thorpe? :L