If You Could Ask B&M...

Marc

Best ride you have been involved with and why?Did you think your Wing-Rider concept would be as well-received as it has been?Will you ever delve into incorporating launch technology in the future?Slightly late to be posting a topic which will be popular eh Marc? :glare:

What were the reasons B&M decided to pursue their own Wing-Rider concept?Are there any ride concepts from other manufacturers that B&M wished they had 'thought of' first?(As a side note, if this is general B&M stuff we're asking, why's it in the Thorpe Park subforum? I know Swarm is a B&M, but why stick a B&M topic in a Swarm area? :S)

1. Would you ever consider adapting your Wing-rider concept so it has 'spinning seats'?2. Would you ever consider designing and building your own launch mechanism?3. What non' B&M design are you inspired by? (Fred and Josh's question I know, but a very good one indeed) :glare:

To quote my own blog Jack"Everywhere we go in the world there is always someone waiting in the wings to belittle our opinion.""The problem with opinions is that everyone has one, everyone has their own fresh perspective on things and a lot of that comes down to their past experiences, what they find personally interesting. How many times have you been recommended a film, only to watch it and not sure whether it was worth all the hype?""My Opinion is my own. I go to somewhere new or I watch something I’ve never seen before with a fresh perspective. When I pull down that restraint on that brand new rollercoaster or I settle down to watch that brand new movie, I want to enjoy it. The end result is irrelevant, at the very beginning the idea is pleasure, to be enthralled in 120 minutes of stunning cinematography or 90 seconds of beautiful, technical rollercoaster action. At no point do I do something new with the intention of dis-pleasure. Because what would be the point in not enjoying your life deliberately."I think Inferno is the best rollercoaster in the park. You don't think that, doesn't make my view invalid does it? Many agree with me, many disagree with me. Isn't that the beauty of being an individual and not a sheep.As for Swarm, I share the sentiment. Thorpe's coasters don't exactly set the world alight in what they do these days so Swarm is a bit of a breathe of fresh air. It has a bit of length, a different ride style and a very unique start to the ride.

Past experience does a lot to shape our perceptions of things in advance. If you walked up to a greasy spoon, you would know what kind of food to expect even though you hadn't tasted it yet, wouldn't you? Well to me, that past experience coupled with what we have seen so far tell me that Swarm will be an excellent ride. It will without doubt take the top spot as best ride on park, which I must agree with Mark is a title currently held by Inferno. As I said a few weeks back, people are constantly campaigning for solid, quality, reliable rides without a gimmick, and we already have one. Seems like people are just never satisfied eh :glare: And I know this is going off topic but once people get on the offensive in Inferno's direction I just have to stop them; if Inferno had been named differently it wouldn't receive half the stick it does. All this crap about 'Nemesis Inferior' is such a load of ****, if it had been named without a connection it would have just been another B&M Invert, judged on it's own merits. Of which it happens to have many. [/rant]So yes, a B&M 1-2 pairing for best in the park in the shape of Swarm and Inferno. Delightful :D

Just to add my opinion: Inferno's charm is not in what it tries to be on a more superficial level (what Thorpe and Merlin try to market it is), such as the link to the original Nemesis, but instead it's real beauty is in the more technical aspect of the ride and the ride experience. It's easily Thorpe's most reliable roller-coaster, not needing weeks/months of down-time a year; it's got Thorpe's best ride music; has Thorpe's best hourly throughput, is easily Thorpe's smoothest ride and, if you play it well, offers the most intense ride on park. It's simply a classy little B&M Inverted roller-coaster with no big, boastful record-holding claim to fame. It's a coaster that offers a smooth, enjoyable, well-paced ride with plenty of foot-choppers and closer contact with the scenery, without having to rely on gimmickry that's fast-expiring now that other parks are installing rides that belittle Thorpe's records. Next year, all that'll be left of Thorpe's coaster record will be an uncomfortable Intamin multi-looper, an average accelerator, and an Oblivion wannabe that got too excited for Halloween.Unlike Colossus, Stealth, Saw and even X:\No Way Out, it doesn't claim to be anything it's not, because there's no real marketing angle other than the link to Nemesis; sure it's a slightly generic coaster layout-wise, but you can't say Tussauds didn't at least try to theme it well - and it's a far more enjoyable and engrossing theme than Saw's sporadic, IP-assisted themeing. Colossus may have the most 'loops', Stealth may be the tallest and fastest or fastest accelerating or whatever; Saw may be the 'scariest', but Inferno claims to be none of those and exists as a modest little coaster simply doing the rounds for the general public with far more taste and concern for their neck and back muscles than all of Thorpe's other coasters put together.And as for Mark being able to cast a view of The Swarm without it having been built yet - well, he's on a far better ground to judge than any of us in this conversation because, you see, he's ridden Raptor.But yeah I'd also like to ask B&M if they still have the two other proposed plans for Thorpe's 2012 coaster. And is it possible that the coaster that appears on Island A on the MTDP was one of these original plans?

Plus for Mark (and myself and Neilfever) we've been on Raptor, so we know how Swarm should be riding in a way.And since Raptor was bloody good, Swarm should be just as if not better. Raptor essentially got me more for this project than just the construction alone.And who would say no to more B&Ms?

Just to add my opinion: Inferno's charm is not in what it tries to be on a more superficial level (what Thorpe and Merlin try to market it is), such as the link to the original Nemesis, but instead it's real beauty is in the more technical aspect of the ride and the ride experience. It's easily Thorpe's most reliable roller-coaster, not needing weeks/months of down-time a year; it's got Thorpe's best ride music; has Thorpe's best hourly throughput, is easily Thorpe's smoothest ride and, if you play it well, offers the most intense ride on park. It's simply a classy little B&M Inverted roller-coaster with no big, boastful record-holding claim to fame. It's a coaster that offers a smooth, enjoyable, well-paced ride with plenty of foot-choppers and closer contact with the scenery, without having to rely on gimmickry that's fast-expiring now that other parks are installing rides that belittle Thorpe's records. Next year, all that'll be left of Thorpe's coaster record will be an uncomfortable Intamin multi-looper, an average accelerator, and an Oblivion wannabe that got too excited for Halloween.Unlike Colossus, Stealth, Saw and even X:\No Way Out, it doesn't claim to be anything it's not, because there's no real marketing angle other than the link to Nemesis; sure it's a slightly generic coaster layout-wise, but you can't say Tussauds didn't at least try to theme it well - and it's a far more enjoyable and engrossing theme than Saw's sporadic, IP-assisted themeing. Colossus may have the most 'loops', Stealth may be the tallest and fastest or fastest accelerating or whatever; Saw may be the 'scariest', but Inferno claims to be none of those and exists as a modest little coaster simply doing the rounds for the general public with far more taste and concern for their neck and back muscles than all of Thorpe's other coasters put together.And as for Mark being able to cast a view of The Swarm without it having been built yet - well, he's on a far better ground to judge than any of us in this conversation because, you see, he's ridden Raptor.But yeah I'd also like to ask B&M if they still have the two other proposed plans for Thorpe's 2012 coaster. And is it possible that the coaster that appears on Island A on the MTDP was one of these original plans?

I'm sorry but I completley disagree with large elements of this post. Most reliable coaster - agree, no question. Best ride music - debatable, I prefer ColossusBest Throughput - no question, agree. Smoothest - agree againMost intense on park - get real that is just simply not true. Unlike Colossus, Stealth, Saw and even X:\No Way Out, it doesn't claim to be anything it's not - Colossus is marketed as a 10 looping coaster, it has 10 inversions. Stealth is fast and tall and was marketed as such. Saw was overhyped but still delivers far more than Inferno.

Most intense on park - get real that is just simply not true.

Um, yes it is. Have you actually been through that final helix? Or the zero-g when it's been raining? Yeah, I'd call them pretty intense.

Saw was overhyped but still delivers far more than Inferno.

Seriously? I actually cannot see how you could say that in seriousness. Saw fails to deliver anything at all, let alone more than Inferno.

I blackout more on Inferno than many other rides in the country, including Nemesis.Says a lot about it don't it?And isn't Saw meant to be bashing people's necks in nowadays? You say you disagree with most of the post but then only disagree with two points you lift out. Not sure if you're trying to support his post or disagree with it.