Park Operations

Daniel.S313

14 hours ago, JoshC. said:

But yes, it is good to see them being open. I do think there should be some discount in entrance price for 23rd-27th though; 2 major coasters closed? Big ouch.

Definitely this - really think something should be on the front page or during the booking process for those dates, as currently the only way you would know is to check the ride availability page in advance.

EDIT: No sooner had I posted this, I see that the downtime is now considerably reduced and now does not clash with Hyperia:

Screenshot2024-09-05114621.png.911ee945156dde841a73b86b4abc100f.png

6 hours ago, Inferno said:

Oh that’s better - bringing it down to 4 days, avoiding other ride maintenance days, and avoiding weekends, is less painful now.

From what I understand, it was actually just a typo, and was always set to be just the 4 days.

So ladies and gents, boys and girls, make sure to proof read your work!

I keep forgetting that we don't have a general "Thorpe Park 2024" thread, or an Oktoberfest thread. So I'll stick my review in here for Oktoberfest 

It's kind of apt too, as you'd think that Thorpe have forgotten they have an Oktoberfest event going on.

Oktoberfest came about in 2020 and whilst it was rough round the edges, it had potential. It's pretty much been the awkward middle child since 2021 though. It got better, but now it just feels a bit thrown together and rubbish.

The Oktoberfest area is basically to the left of Ghost Train's entrance, with the stage, the ski lift carrier turned benches (which are pretty cool) returning, as well as snow-covered...Christmas trees?

The event is leaning heavily on the more Bavarian Alps theme. By which I mean, it's the primary focus. The main Thorpe show revolves around it (the actors run a "fashion show" with what one of them should wear to go skiing). There's a set of roaming actors at set times who are "on skis".

And my god, the show makes me cringe. The dance elements are good for what it is. But the speaking. It feels like the actors were told to watch Allo Allo and just copy the German accents. It's grating.

Also, the Christmas trees. Why? The confused "Why is it Christmas?" vibe isn't helped by this song playing at the start of the family stage show:

Hilarious.

I should add: I believe in story, the actors are called the Furchtbar Gang. That's what it sounds like at least. "Furchtbar" is German for "terrible". So I guess the point is that they are terrible? Or meant to be terrible? But they're not - as I say, the dance elements make the grade. I don't get it. 

There's a couple of the pop up food places alongside Ghost Train's queue, which will no doubt stay through Fright Nights, and a bratwurst grill in Amity. There's a pitiful-looking bratwurst pizza available from Pizza-Pasta.

In truth, Thorpe's Oktoberfest has never done it for me. Maybe I just don't like fun. So maybe this is doing the job, getting good reactions and there's a wider audience who love it. But it does feel like its been scaled back the last 2-3 years, and as nice as it is to get an extra boost during September, maybe it's time to lay it to rest.

Just saw they are serving the most traditional of German treats ever in the Oktoberfest area, you know and love it, German's have been making it for years and years, with the recipe being handed down from generation to generation. You'll see it all over Berlin, with restaurants serving just this absolute classic.

Curly fries with sour cream, salsa, jalapenos and guacamole.

I saw them doing an initial run through of the show yesterday.

Cringe doesn't even cover it. Granted not helped by no actual audience since park was quiet so the attempts at audience participation were fruitless.

Felt sorry for them. Not their fault the show is utter pants.

16 hours ago, JoshC. said:

But it does feel like it’s been scaled back the last 2-3 years, and as nice as it is to get an extra boost during September, maybe it's time to lay it to rest.

There was an initial excitement at all the Merlin parks to do these all year around events.

Fully cram the calendar with events, at one point. You could never go to any of the Merlin parks without having an event on. 

Then they realised it was too much then this year cut all the events. Simply the events are a lot of effort for no pull. I can confidently say that it did not bring in more guests by putting the events on. 

Especially at Thorpe, quite often there are minimal crowds for any of the shows. It’s due to the target audience though, put on a stunt show and people would watch. 

I’m not sure how to feel really, Thorpe hyped it up as their biggest season ever and it has come through by having Hyperia but in someways it’s been cut back after cutback. 

Either go all out with these events or don’t bother at all. I miss the event variants of the island soundtrack. The new Thorpe soundtrack isn’t memorable or iconic 

Best part of Oktoberfest at Thorpe for me has always been the ride audio overlays and the Oktoberfest Thorpe theme (which we have now lost). A real shame because one of my first ever Thorpe trips (I'm a newbie in comparison to lots of others here) was during Oktoberfest and I bloody loved it and would even go as far as saying it was my favourite event. Little to no crowds, catchy soundtrack, beer... what's not to love?!

I'm going to the park tomorrow to experience it, but judging by here and social media it is a shame to see that they have lost their touch with Oktoberfest this year. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back the old Oktoberfest theme... we all know how much Thorpe love a 'nod to the past'!

I see today Thorpe has "scheduled late opening" for some attractions, except... none of the attractions were scheduled to open late in the app or online...

At 1pm, Flying Fish, Zodiac and Detonator are "scheduled late opening" and WDTR hasn't opened yet today.

Are they low on techies so prioritising opening each day? What's going on?

4 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

I see today Thorpe has "scheduled late opening" for some attractions, except... none of the attractions were scheduled to open late in the app or online...

At 1pm, Flying Fish, Zodiac and Detonator are "scheduled late opening" and WDTR hasn't opened yet today.

I've noticed this a couple of times lately. Vortex usually being the culprit. Yet even on the app it is listed as a 10am opening. 

It's mixed signals, but it effectively seems to be their way of saying "It hasn't opened yet, but will do later".

The park seem to come up with these new ideas for communicating "Ride not open" every couple of years. Or even just communicating queue times. We've seen "90+ min" queue times. Closed. Delayed. Open later. Unavailable. Coming soon. Weather delay. Cleaning. Etc etc. All of those phrases used to say a ride isn't open.

It seems to be the buzz every so often to find a way to minimise impact of ride closures and how they are communicated. Obviously the root cause of the issue is that the rides are closing, and that should be addressed. But there we go. 

The amount of rides not open though is a cause for a raised eyebrow.

Completely agree with the comments re Octoberfest this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see this go next year, and personally wouldn't bother me as I've never really thought it adds anything to Thorpe anyway.

I've been to the Towers one a lot over the years and have always really enjoyed it. They really benefit from the area they've got on the lawns. The location is a big plus too, the entertainment goes on for an hour after park close and this obviously means people leaving and see it going on may go over to the lawns and stay for a bit too. 

I've never thought its worked as well at Thorpe, whether that be due to the location of the stage or different target audience I'm not sure.

7 hours ago, coasterverse said:

Best part of Oktoberfest at Thorpe for me has always been the ride audio overlays and the Oktoberfest Thorpe theme (which we have now lost).

They've not even changed the entrance music this year which is surprising, could help making people aware theres actually an event going on etc.. 

They didn't bother with ride overlays last FN too which was a big shame. Hope they do this year as it really makes the event in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Have seen this a few times last week on Vortex, Big Easy Bumpers, High Striker, Fish, Rapids. Seems to be happening on off peak weekdays so I imagine its unofficial cost cutting or they're struggling with staff at the moment? 

I guess it doesn't matter too much at the moment with the off peak weekdays being very quiet but still not ideal.

Think its safe to say the cuts have now reached Thorpe. With Rumba closed for the season, and Detonator, Inferno, Walking Dead, Vortex, Fish, Tidal Wave, Quantum, Depth Charge all showed as late opening today.

Doesn't help that Hyperia is also opening late daily and Ghost train is always a 12pm opening. Thats a lot of the park closed in the morning. 

Was bound to happen with some of the cuts we're seeing at the other parks. I'd still take these late openings over reduced opening hours though. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. 

I guess the bigger question right now is...why?

We're seeing this at Towers and now, to do a subtler degree, Thorpe. Why? Are those above the theme parks pulling money away from them? Have Thorpe/Towers not been as successful as hoped this year, given the new coasters they've invested in? Is there something else happening?

It certainly is cause for a suspicious eyebrow to be raised.

It would be quite surprising if the cost cutting was due to the performance of 2024 investments. A company that big to respond that quickly. However, it does seem that way and the future of the parks are more interesting than ever.

Will it mean it’s another 10 years for a new coaster? 

It’s clear the parks are reducing costs, Chessington is abandoned. Scott was clear he was moving investment away. 

15 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Yes, it's very strange. Is the fact there's been very little Fright Nights promo this year so far connected? You'd barely even know there was a new maze really at the moment... Intriguing.

I wouldn't say so, for now at least. The event hasn't seen any cuts in terms of dates or hours. A new maze is still happening (which has been the standard for several years now). Seems to more be a creative choice. 

12 minutes ago, MattL28 said:

Scott was clear he was moving investment away. 

Where has this been said? Not saying he hasn't said that (as I've heard this before), but where has he been quoted as saying this? Or is it just a 'one the grapevine' type thing

I think that is a very bizarre statement coming from the UK’s biggest attraction operator, especially as Universal are saying quite literally the opposite about opening in the UK, and quite frankly dare I say making Merlin look a bit stupid at the moment? They have the UK sewn up, it’s entirely in their control to change things, as they own and directly control most of the big attractions anyway.

If “tourist dollars are moving elsewhere” perhaps they should try to address that instead of hiding away and pointing fingers?

To say that he may not have decided to do nemesis reborn is a mad statement to make - is he implying that he’s looking to let the Merlin estate just rot away with no investment what so ever?  It sounds like it to me…. Not the sort of thing a leader of a company should be implying in my opinion, and certainly suggests a very bleak outlook for the future of the company, at a time when external companies are literally moving in next door, eying up Merlin’s entire customer base.

I can never understand this mentality that if you’re not making as much money as you want, might as well start shutting up shop…  really I think instead of winding down during quieter days, Merlin should be looking at maximising the ticket sales, offering heavy discounts and incentives to draw people away from peak days and on to quieter ones - maybe even offer “bounce back” tickets again during the summer?

I really do hope Universal go ahead with their UK project, and it’s a success.  We really do need competition in the UK.

When Merlin came off the stock market and had all the changes recently things looked really good with investments and improvements etc, but as time goes by it looks like the same old Merlin is very much still there.