Daniel.S313

Park Operations

2 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

This was also the day all the coasters closed at 9:30pm

It was more like 3/4/5 pm which is why it caused such a big problem. Also, if these weather rules were set out by the manufacturer like Thorpe Park are claiming why do you describe them as "new"?

I believe it is around the 18K guest limit as far as capacity goes, but yes this can definitely be affected on different issues. 

I believe for each coaster/major ride thats closed for a lengthy time/the day, 1k is knocked off the maximum capacity.

1 hour ago, Ivsetti said:

It was more like 3/4/5 pm which is why it caused such a big problem. Also, if these weather rules were set out by the manufacturer like Thorpe Park are claiming why do you describe them as "new"?

All the coasters bar The Swarm were open much later than 5pm. 

Downtime during such temperatures was never as bad as it was this year. I believe they've either risen the minimum operating temperatures, or have just started to stick more closely to them. They've always had some sort of restriction, its just never been as much of a problem as it was this October. 

The restrictions changed last year, where the park decided to be more strict following long-term considerations after the Smiler incident.

Each ride has operating conditions set out by the manufacturer. In many cases, these aren't strict and have several variables related to them (a ride running for 10 hours straight is not going to stall the second the temperature goes 0.1C below the recommended temperature, for example). Merlin are now following these recommendations strictly though.

Following them strictly means that if the temperature does go below 0.1C or whatever, even for a second, the park stop running the ride, and require the temperature to be at the minimum operating temperature for a set period of time thereafter. It's a ridiculous system, as with something as complex as rides, a flat cut off condition - bar for extremes - is a bad idea.

So the conditions aren't new, but how the park view them is.

It's almost akin to the idiocy of Cedar Fair parks closing EVERY SINGLE RIDE as soon as there's a spot of rain...

Like even some drizzle was enough to make them close Blue Streak temporarily! 

Not much of that story adds up to me - someone managed to get the persons bag, get the keys find the car in the car park with no prior knowledge of where it is and drive it out of the car park in the middle of Fright Nights within 40 minutes 🤔

Well it took 40 minutes for security to show up. It isn't possible to tell from the article how long it was before it was noticed the car was stolen. The keys for the car would have indicated the make and you could have just walked up and down rows until the keys opened a car. 

I have seen the aftermath of someone's handbag stolen from the Saw baggage room before so I can believe a bag being stolen from there again. 

It's not an impossible chain of events but it does seem an unlikely one. 

£271m was the profit before tax in 2017 while the article quotes the operating profit before tax. The company made £209m profit after tax in 2017 giving a better estimate of £1.7m per site. It's actually pretty reasonable considering revenue was £1.6bn so it's profit margin is greater than most other entertainment based businesses. Although the same is unlikely to be true for the slowdown in 2018.

And rather conveniently for Merlin

Thorpe Park has told the police it has no CCTV footage of the vehicle leaving the car park or of the baggage area showing her belongings being handed over or taken

Did the thief pay £8 to get out of the car park by booking online, go to a kiosk to pay £10 or think yolo and splash the cash paying £15 to get out?

I know how difficult it was to pay for my parking online at Fright Nights personally 😂

On 1/14/2019 at 3:20 PM, Marc said:

Not much of that story adds up to me - someone managed to get the persons bag, get the keys find the car in the car park with no prior knowledge of where it is and drive it out of the car park in the middle of Fright Nights within 40 minutes 🤔

I recon its quite easy to do as MattyMoo has said. The keys will be branded to the car; walk up and down and you'll find it. There's no indication still as to if the car was valuable etc so it could have been a bigger target.

The bigger concern should be that bag rooms consistently lose wristbands and so forth, and such an occurrence is frequently happening (wrong belongings handed out). I kind of agree with the removal of bag rooms they're just not needed and I hope SAW, Stealth and Swarm follow suit to Towers as soon as a logical solution is found for SAW and Stealth.

Just to add, there's often times when they don't even give out a wristband, but just tell you a number; it's happened to me on Stealth numerous times and IMO is a huge breakdown of security.

People could say any number and get someone else's belongings, it clearly shows that Thorpe do not take security seriously enough when they won't even replace bands.