Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

The 2013 season is having the crash pad, there are no new rides but X no way out is having a refurbishment, the trains will go foreward and there will be new safety restraints, this is to stop people from being sick, or attempting to climb out the seats (which happens quite often) and potentially lower the height restriction, I have heard from friends that have worked over the Christmas period, that there is a potential sponser of MTV, but it's not confirmed, the refurbishment is happening as I worked there last season and they informed us of the future plans :)

I'm new to the forums, but stay with me on this one... having been looking at Thorpe Parks satellite images on both Bing & Google, I can see that the image on Bing shows what looks like the land being prepared for Saw: The Ride, so would guess this image is from around mid 2008 or before; Looking at the Satellite image on Google Maps, it shows Saw: The Ride being built, as well as being able to see the marquees used for fright night mazes, so would guess this is from the end of 2008, the fascinating thing about this, is that you can see work being done on the area where the queue for Saw: Alive is to be in 2010, and now 2 islands on the other side of the park have appeared, one which is now The Swarm island, and the other which is a possible location for 'The Next Big Thing'. My point is, this shows how far back they have planned the location for rides, like The Swarm's island being built back in 2008, I know to build an island safe to be constructed on takes a while, but the fact they built the island that far back and then to have a ride built on it, makes me think the other island which was also never in the Bing Maps image is to be the location of the new coaster rumored to come in 2015 or 2016!

Hey Dean, welcome to TPM. :)

It's a very astute observation you've made there, and it does seem like Island A (the island attached to The Swarm's, as marked and named by the MTDP) will be the location of the 2016 coaster. The MTDP also states that Thorpe plan to build another bridge from Island A to the Sunken Gardens, to help alleviate thoroughfare across the Swarm's bridge.

The only other proposed location for the next coaster was a piece of land called Island E, adjacent right of the main entrance bridge, but since this piece of land looks likely to accommodate the Crash Pad until 2015, it seems like Island A is a safe bet for the planned location of the 2016 coaster!

yes I heard that was the other location, but didn't think about the CrashPad being located there... so it does seem more and more likely that will be the location of their next rollercoaster which has been pushed back to 2016, any news on why it has been pushed back a year, instead of fitting their 3 year investment trend they have seem to had for while; big investment (2009, 2012), medium investment (2010), small investment (2011)...

The 2013 season is having the crash pad, there are no new rides but X no way out is having a refurbishment, the trains will go foreward and there will be new safety restraints, this is to stop people from being sick, or attempting to climb out the seats (which happens quite often) and potentially lower the height restriction, I have heard from friends that have worked over the Christmas period, that there is a potential sponser of MTV, but it's not confirmed, the refurbishment is happening as I worked there last season and they informed us of the future plans :)

Great to know :) what is is being rethemed too, or are they just keeping the same old theme? The theme at the moment isn't really a theme though :P I wouldn't like to see X go forward and I would potentially like to see the block breaks removed as they just delay the whole ride and makes it boring :(

Will the restrains be overhead ones because I think that is pointless on a ride like X, also will it have a new name, will it be themed to do with something about the lost city and and they rethinking the garden queueing area and going to be able to make you queue indoors? The garden queue was stupid and was a tiny area and if it is advertised as a new ride, the garden will not be big enough to house a queue over an hour!

Thanks and please reply mate :)

James

yes I heard that was the other location, but didn't think about the CrashPad being located there... so it does seem more and more likely that will be the location of their next rollercoaster which has been pushed back to 2016, any news on why it has been pushed back a year, instead of fitting their 3 year investment trend they have seem to had for while; big investment (2009, 2012), medium investment (2010), small investment (2011)...

The 3-year interval between major investments has been postponed by one year due to Thorpe wishing to "focus on it's accommodation strategy". This means that commencing next year, Thorpe will build a proposed 250-bedroom hotel reading to business in 2015, which is when the Crash Pad is due to leave Thorpe. Naturally, this will be a massive cost for Thorpe and the plans for the Crash Pad in the time being is to test the market demand for Thorpe as a mini-holiday resort, rather than exclusively a one-day thrill park.

If the Crash Pad is financially successful it works to two advantages: Thorpe will be bringing in extra revenue which will help fund the hotel construction alongside the running of the park, and also, it means that Thorpe know that there is sufficient demand for overnight accommodation and will not have built a hotel for a market that doesn't exist.*

So because of this, the coaster originally planned as "2015 Coaster" is now the 2016 coaster which, if anyone cares to recall, is when the Runnymede Borough Council said Thorpe would have the privilege of building a coaster of similar height to Stealth. Of course, this theory's been rubbished with The Swarm breaking to perceived height barrier and the Island A height restriction placed at 40m (131ft).

*In theory.

ah right all seems to make sense... so what sort of investment, in their 3-year cycle would this year be then? or they have probably scrapped the 3-year cycle and gone with whatever is best between now and the next coaster in 2016... that just leaves this year and next year for new rides/attractions, before opening a hotel if the crash pad is successful and then onto the coaster the year after. any plans where the proposed hotel would go out of interest?

Since The Swarm was built last year, the park are intending on having a quiet year with regards to large investments. Previous "small investment" years (2004, 2007 and 2010) brought us the move of Samurai from Chessington to Thorpe; Stealth '1.1' and the return of the Flying Fish; and SAW: Alive. All of which were fairly cheap investments and didn't really involve bringing anything 'new' to the park (Samurai was simply moved, The Flying Fish was in storage, and Thorpe Belle became SAW: Alive).

Some have speculated that, given that in 2007 and 2010 Thorpe added bolt-on attractions or 'improved' the latest 'big investments" (Stealth and SAW), the investments this year will revolve around The Swarm and it's "evolution". This may not be the limit of what Thorpe are intending to do though. They may, as they did in 2004 and 2007, do something/bring something 'new'-ish to other areas of the park.

yeah got the investment thing confused, so this yer in terms of the 3-year cycle is a small one... but as there is this year and next year til the medium investment of the hotel and then the large investment in 2016 for the coaster. Just by the way the rumours are speculating and the fact thorpe state surprises for this year makes me wonder what sort of investment they are putting in.

So because of this, the coaster originally planned as "2015 Coaster" is now the 2016 coaster which, if anyone cares to recall, is when the Runnymede Borough Council said Thorpe would have the privilege of building a coaster of similar height to Stealth. Of course, this theory's been rubbished with The Swarm breaking to perceived height barrier and the Island A height restriction placed at 40m (131ft).

Nevertheless, the "2015 coaster" can, according to the MTDP, go up to about 50m (just over 160ft). :)

Since The Swarm was built last year, the park are intending on having a quiet year with regards to large investments. Previous "small investment" years (2004, 2007 and 2010) brought us the move of Samurai from Chessington to Thorpe; Stealth '1.1' and the return of the Flying Fish; and SAW: Alive. All of which were fairly cheap investments and didn't really involve bringing anything 'new' to the park (Samurai was simply moved, The Flying Fish was in storage, and Thorpe Belle became SAW: Alive).

Interesting that you call 2007 and 2010 (I'm ignoring 2004 because I personally don't think the 3 year investment strategy started / came apparent until 2006) "small investment years". Whilst I don't disagree that what they've added in those years haven't been particularly large, the years after them have seen even smaller investments (Time Voyagers and Storm Surge). So, really, 2007 and 2010 should more be medium investments, and yet we've only ever got these "small investments".

Even though I've always thought about it, the way you worded it here makes me realise just how long the park hasn't had a large non-major year, and is due one soon. (Just to say, I don't think a large non-major year requires a larger ride, but something like a year dedicated to spruce ups in which a fair bit is spent).

With the surprises the park have in store, will be interesting to see just how much they are investing in the actual theme park this year..

Nevertheless, the "2015 coaster" can, according to the MTDP, go up to about 50m (just over 160ft). :)

We always seem to have a debate about this one, Josh. :lol: The Island A planning permission only allows any coaster built there to go up to 40m, I thought. It was Island C (The Swarm's Island for those who don't know) that had planning permission up to 50m. I wouldn't think they could simply swap these height barriers around as Island A is closer to Thorpe Village than Island C and so would be capped at a lower height due to noise levels and visibility issues (could potentially rule out the Wooden Coaster idea already...).

We do indeed Sids.. :lol:

In the MTDP documents submitted in 2010, it only allowed Island C to go up to 50m (and that was the only island located for the 2015 coaster). Islands A and E (island E being where the Snoozeboxes are going) were marked as potential locations for the 2015 coasters, and had 40m as their maximum height.

In the planning application for The Swarm, this was said:

201550m_zps9239ce01.png

(Sorry it's a bit skewed; the paragraph was spread over two pages :P )

In the Snoozebox application, this was stated:

2015.png

(Sorry for not cropping this or anything; as you can see, I screen-capped it last year and couldn't be bothered to do so before putting it on Photobucket)

So, it is "likely" that the "2015 coaster" could be 50m tall. This makes me think that it's possible that the way Thorpe wrote it in the MTDP was that they originally planned the 2012 coaster to be 50m, and the "2015" one to be 40m, but changed their mind. So, in fact, the location has nothing to do with it, it's just coincidental because Swarm was only considered for one island. At least, that's how I read it. Either way, the high points of the coasters on all the islands have already been carefully marked (they were highlighted on the MTDP in 2010) to create minimal visual impact for surrounding areas, so I don't think there should be any problems interchanging the maximum heights. :)

I've always had issues with the way the Snoozebox application was worded with regards to the "2015 coaster", though. It only specifies that the "(2015) coaster on Area E may not built until 2016" now. However, as the Snoozeboxes will be there during the 2015 season, there wouldn't build a 2016 coaster on island E, otherwise those staying in the Snoozeboxes are staying on a construction site. So that would mean it would be built in 2016, and likely open in 2017 (or, pushing it and with an early application, mid-way through 2016, seeing how Snoozebox have to go by February 2016). So, it is still possible the "2015 coaster" could be built for the 2015 season, and simply just be built on island A (which seems more logically anyway); at least, that's what I gather from it. Saying that though, I have heard many rumours here and there that, regardless of where it's going, it won't open until 2016 anyway, due to Snoozebox, like you've said Sid. :P

Anyway, to go back to the original point, I believe the next roller coaster will be able to go up to 50m, according to some planning applications (though not the MTDP.. XD) :)

This is embarrassing... I think I remember you saying that to me now! :lol:

Well thank you for reminding me again, and yes, what you say about the Snoozebox application suggesting that the "2015 coaster" being pencilled in on Island E is interesting. As Dean said on the last page, in 2008, there was no Island E, but Island A was already being built. See below for screen-cappy goodness:

tp2008_zps9d3aea34.png

Island C is where The Swarm is now, Island F (in green) is where SAW and SAW: Alive are, and Island E is where the Crash Pad will be from next season till 2015.

This was Thorpe Park in 2008. Notice how Island E hadn't even begun infilling yet Island A was already half-way to completion (I just noticed how much bigger than Island C it's going to be as well...), and as of 2010 I believe it's been sat there getting stronger as a land mass by the day. Surely then, like you say, they had already decided that Island A was where they were going to put the 2016 coaster? Strange that the Snoozebox plans outline Island E as the location when A) it's going to be in use during the proposed coaster construction and B] Island A is much bigger, is empty during the time needed for construction, and seems much more suited for the purpose.

Woo speculation.

This is embarrassing... I think I remember you saying that to me now! :lol:

This was Thorpe Park in 2008. Notice how Island E hadn't even begun infilling yet Island A was already half-way to completion (I just noticed how much bigger than Island C it's going to be as well...), and as of 2010 I believe it's been sat there getting stronger as a land mass by the day. Surely then, like you say, they had already decided that Island A was where they were going to put the 2016 coaster? Strange that the Snoozebox plans outline Island E as the location when A) it's going to be in use during the proposed coaster construction and B] Island A is much bigger, is empty during the time needed for construction, and seems much more suited for the purpose.

Woo speculation.

I think I may have done you know, oh well. :lol:

But yes, it is definitely strange and confusing that they'd consider Island E for the next coaster, due to the space available on Island A and the fact that it stands out more (where Island E has been used appropriately as advertising space). Maybe it's all part of some master plan?!

Woo speculation indeed.. :P

• 3 months later...

Well I have noticed that people from quite alot of forums have started talking about the coaster that will be coming in 2015/2016.

I decided to start a topic solely on this new ride, and if Th13teen , Swarm and Smiler are to go by we should see some plans or teasers, near the end of this year.

So ye just discuss, what ride would you put in Thorpe? Which part of the park (maybe even on the reclaimed land next to Swarm?) What theme would you like to see/expect? and Do you think this ride will open in 2015 or 2016 cos rumours have been flying around that its one of those dates (2015 was the original idea).

May we see plans later this year :D

Personally after bits and pieces I've heard in various places and with the fact the park just had a spruce up this year I believe we will see teasers for this at the end of 2014 for a 2016 opening.

Having another new major coaster investment already seems a bit to soon without much happening in between on my opinion as well. Couple of minor things for the next couple of years will do nicely.

For me on the type of ride its all about a woody for me ^_^ but then I would like a space theme to go in which wood really wouldn't fit into :P

I would expect the coaster to go on the island near Swarm (possible island A) as the other one is currently occupied by Snoozeboxes.

I would like the 2015/16 coaster to either be a woodie either like Megaphobia or Outlaw run which a looping woodie may be more coherent towards Thorpe's main audience. The only other ride type I would really like would be a hyper coaster (possibly B&M).

I'd like it to have a theme more of adventure or purpose than typical Devastation.

Anything that isn't a devastation or secret government, (SW7) type theme will suit me fine. What with Saw and the Swarm, I'am hoping Thorpe will look into something new and more adventurous. Brighten up the park a bit, you know.

In terms of the coaster itself. A woodie would be ideal for me, though I'am not quite sure how likely that is to appear. They can be a real nuisance to maintain.

As long as it has loads of airtime I'm not too fussed. An RMC woodie would be great or even a GCI. A wooden would also work well at the back of the park e.g 'Island A' as its wooden structure wouldn't obscure the view of the other rides. An Intamin Megalite would also suit the park well in my opinion (if they could work on getting the theoretical throughput higher than 900) with that first turn swooping over the lake so maybe that would suit 'Island E' more.

As for will it be 2015 or 2016 I'm not sure. The planning permission for the Crash Pad stated that 'It is likely that the proposed 2015 coaster will now not be bought forward until 2016 as Thorpe Park is prioritising its accommodation strategy.' But the actual hotel is 'meant' to be opening in 2016 so would they want to open two large investments in one year? And with Towers and Chessies 'large investment' years (going by Merlin's three year pattern) expected to be in 2016 it would be a big risk by Merlin. Only time will tell.

I've heard rumours swaying both ways towards whether the next major coaster will be 2015 or 2016, so I remain 50/50 in that area. One thing which remains apparent to enthusiasts, and possibly non-enthusiasts, is that the non-coaster year investments at Thorpe haven't exactly set the world on fire. After the past 10-12 years Thorpe have had, throwing attraction after attraction, investment after investment, would 2 more non-coaster years affect the park in a more than negative fashion (especially if they're similar to past ones we've seen)? I dunno.

As for what I want, I don't know. I believe near the end of last year, pluk set up a 'Next Big Thing' thread, where I mentioned about either a woodie or just a plain and simple, fun coaster with plenty of air time could be good ideas, but they both had negatives to them. I still remain of the exact same opinion really. Like many enthusiats though, I'd love to see a ride which focuses mainly on airtime (and that's not just directed at Thorpe, that's directed at the UK in general). If that could fit in with Thorpe's idea of their next big coaster, especially as they can go up to 50m for this one, that'd be great.

The one thing which continuosly hangs on my mind, however, is that the MTDP stated how the "2012" and "2015" coasters would not exceed 850m in length. Presumably, regardless of whether the next coaster opens in 2015 or 2016, it would be under that restriction, and possibly could not be changed even with a specific application (I dunno too much on planning constraints though, so don't take any of that too concrete...). I personally would not want an airtime monster if it's going to be 'short and sweet' if you will; I'd want one which goes on and on for a long period of time. Ditto with a woodie / RMC hybrid - why get one when it would be short compared to many other woodies?

So basically, I don't have a clue what I'd put in at Thorpe next. They have a large variety of coasters at the moment, and other coasters which I think would add to the current line up perfectly would not shine under the current planning constraints I believe the park are under.