Thorpe Shark Hotel

Mitchada04

When was the last time Thorpe invested into anything worth the money that wasn't a coaster?

The S+S brothers? At least one of them worked out well, and I still love the other regardless of its failings.

Surely this year will see some investment for the park in previously closed attractions, along with the hotel? The value of the 'hotel' as an investment is misguided at best in my opinion, but I still think the park itself will do well with whatever they do with it if they go at it with the same attitude and sense as they did with last years bits.

The thing which always makes me think when people say about the park's non-coaster year investments:

What worthwhile addition could Thorpe add?

Thorpe have quite a large variety of flats; I can't think of many flat rides the park could add which aren't overly similar to other rides on park and which would be a good addition. A dark ride is missing from the line up, but where could you put that? All about the right place at the right time for that.

I think a couple of smaller things (return of cinema, CCR, a show, etc) would be great. But you can bet your bottom dollar that if that's what Thorpe did one year, people would moan it wasn't 'a good year of investment' or something like that.

People can say about the park losing the ability to add rides outside of coasters - but the question is, what can they add which will satisfy everyone?

Assuming they return the 4d cinema and train it will be scoffed at because of their removal the other year because of not suiting the target market at the time, cos Thorpe were silly...

It's not necessarily rides that the park needed (although a dark ride replacing the arena and/or X is ideal), but it's providing other things to do... If you don't feel like doing a ride at Thorpe (after lunch as an example), your choices are limited to queuing for one or sitting on a bench...

A show, gentle ride or a farm did wonders for this situation when they existed, but now it's just rides... In order to be successful (especially with families) parks need variety of things to do, but Thorpe didn't see this and as a result we've had crap like Storm Surge and Saw Alive because they felt a new ride every year was needed...

I repeat, it's not necessarily rides that the park needs... Although of course an Air Race wouldn't go amiss...

I think Dan meant worthwhile investments during none coaster years... When was the last time Thorpe invested into anything worth the money that wasn't a coaster?

I guess it depends how you look at it, whilst not massive id say X was a worthwhile investment its significantly better than it was before, I'm not to sure what to think about Storm Surge, it don't look great but it can be fun and its another ride for families to enjoy rather than just the very youngest which OG served, Saw Alive whilst it didn't last more than a couple of seasons served its purpose, taking people out of other queues on park when the park was at its busiest point.

Then the general investment on park with queue boards / new park wide sound system the park do make plenty of investments in areas which IMO need it.

I think the park definitely needs more which reopening CCR and the cinema would be a good resolution.

Unless you have a strong stomach (or enter a 30+ min queue) the only rides you can do after lunch are a Rumba, Loggers, Caroulsel and Storm Surge at the most.

It looks very likely we won't see anything new next year, at least on a medium to large scale.

True.. But when you look at the other Merlin parks it's not really the case.

Thorpe are the only park to have done such a thing (and the sound system doesn't work very well let's be honest)... But, 2 things? There's a lot more to be done than that...

That Merlin's parks don't really believe in infrastructure improvements is shocking...

The improvements to X were the very definition of polishing a turd, whilst providing a ride younger people could go on whilst spending as little money as possible... Such is the Merlin way really... Slightly better than DIC's ways of running minimal investment for maximum returns (mainly as most new attractions do have some thought behind them, apart from Storm Surge), but it's not that much of an improvement...

• 4 weeks later...

Yes was just going to say - now referred to as "Resort hotel" or "on site hotel" - I'm sure a 'proper' name will be announced soon.

Big thumbs up for the Shark concept art - it would be amazing if something like that did come to fruition. As I said in the 2014 thread - theming wise, Swarm island is a huge thumbs up from me - and what was promised in the plans was delivered, and then some - so hopefully this concept art is another good sign of things to come - and maybe Angry Birds land will be well themed. (It still pains me that Stealth never got it's grandstand, I would've loved it even more if so :wub: )