Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does look very Dr Who like to me.

Amazed at the negativity towards that prospect really. It'd be a huge deal, it's a massive IP not only here but around the world. It has been watched weekly by many many millions of families for over 50 years, so the draw has the potential to span a huge rage of age and distance. It has just about the highest appreciation rating of anything on TV, meaning those who like it really like it. It also comes with such a deep routed knowledge of the basics in the general public (the TARDIS, the darliks, etc) that it really suits a relitavely short experience ride in that it does not have to spend excessive time on setting the back story.

Even if Dr Who isn't exactly your own personal favourite choice I think it's pretty clear this has the potential to be an amazing thing for the park if they get it right, a real defining attraction which could lay the foundations for for the direction to take in the long term.

I'm not so sure. I don't watch Doctor Who myself that much anymore, but the plans clearly show a warehouse-type building face for the facade with a shipping container next to it (unless that's part of the building). It's quite confusing for now, so we'll just have to wait for the announcement. :)

I Hope it isn't Dr Who can't stand the programe. Would of liked something similar to Hex best dark ride at a UK Merlin Park.

I'd rather something unique, even if it's based on something I'm no particular fan of, than a Thorpe version of something that's only a couple of hundred miles away.

Merlin have built one dark ride in their history in Sub Terra at the big parks (Ghost at Legolands can be considered if you're desperate to boost numbers)...

And it's an IP (using the original Nemesis backstory, so follows the definition, even if it's an internal one)...

Dr Who would be better than Hunger Games...

I'd very much settle for a Thorpe version of a dark ride overseas! (ie. Spiderman B))

Well, that's a whole other level! And you have to go further than Towers to find it. But yes, I'm expecting technology that already exists to be used, if it is anything like the spiderman system I'll be very excited.

I take it you've never been on Spiderman then?

No, I was more referring to rides like Escape from Gringott's (although I've never ridden that so can't judge it), but I just prefer proper theming rather than screens - although of course this opinion could change, I've never actually been on a ride like Spiderman.

He says he'd prefer wallace and gromit over mystic manor.

Not at all, I'd have to ride them both to decide, I haven't been on Mystic Manor.  Wallace and Gromit is a good dark ride with some top notch theming but it's nothing groundbreaking, I just think that in general proper theming is more impressive than screens, but not in all cases.

It looks like someone just found the lens flare feature in photoshop to me. I think you're reading too much into it.

Anyway, I think we can safely say after The Smiler, this is no indication at all of the final product, remember the chrome helix teasers that had nothing to do with anything? Even the LC12 mushroom cloud was an extremely tenuous link to the final theme. 

On a side note, I do like the (admittedly much lower budget) disney-eque fences that they've started to use, much like the green fencing seen around the Disney parks when a ride is being refurbished. Its makes the park look a lot better presented than a tatty wire fence with a huge in your face marketing banner. 

Coasters are easy to retheme on the fly, a dark ride is not quite the same. The theme will be pretty much set as its based on a story. It wont be easy to change that unlike the swarm or The Smiler. As a result they can make the marketing far more precise and accurate and generally put across a much better marketing campaign. Then again it is merlin so you never know...