Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dr Who rumors come from quite some time ago and I for one certainly believe that there at least was serious discussion within Merlin about bringing Dr Who somewhere at some point, but no one seems to know if that is still something they are exploring and/or if this is that. The fact that last years survey went through some rather 'out there' IPs but made no DH mention really seems to have put some people off it, and put Hunger Games and others in their head, but I don't know if too much should be read into that. For reference, the list given was...

t.gif
Would you like to see any of these Film or TV Programmes brought to life in an experience at THORPE PARK Resort?
 Hunger Games
t.gifThe Maze Runner
t.gifThe Hobbit
t.gifX Factor/ Britain's Got Talent
t.gifBreaking Bad
t.gif24
t.gifWalking Dead
t.gifOrange is the New Black
t.gifX-Men
t.gifBatman
t.gifSpiderman
t.gifTake Me Out
t.gifNone of the Above

Nothing even DH like to get a feeling what the public would think of something similarly si-fi-ish. Odd.

I still believe this will be DH, mainly just because I want it to be, and I think it could do amazing things for the park if it is. I'm surprised to see any negativity about it as am idea tbh; even if you are not a fan it's hard to deny it's a massive franchise, is bang on target market, has extreme longevity, and with the BBC involved has the potential to be real quality. Exciting!

I just thought, if this is costing a third of what Ratatouille cost at DLP, this might not be as spectacular as I'd hoped. The one at DLP has a great ride system but is mostly just huge screens as theming, plus they didn't have to pay for an IP. So if this new ride at Thorpe Park has an IP, surely they'd have to pay for that, which would take a chunk out of an already small(ish) budget for a dark ride?

I thought the Dr. Who rumors originally stemmed from Alton Towers? It seems actually seems particularly weird if you think about it:

Rumors of BBC IP started in 2011.

In 2011, Cbeebies world couldn't have been on the cards, because Storybook land was supposed to become Dreamworks/Shrek Land

In 2012 The Swarm opens, but "flops" in terms of footfall

In 2013 The Smiler opens, after would could be easily described as a "rushed" development

In 2014, Cbeebies lands opens, after Shrek land talks broke down

In 2015 an entire Shrek attraction opens at County Hall in London, made by Merlin.

I would also say, you guys are looking at this far too much from a "What I want" point of view. From Merlin's point of view, a Dr. Who IP, if executed well, could have monumental pulling power. There were people who would travel cross-continent just to visit a half decent Dr. Who related ride. At the end of the day, they want, and at this point, NEED a ride that will draw visitors. Not a ride that ticks a bunch of enthusiasts boxes.

Think Wizarding world, but on a much smaller scale.

If it does turn out to be Dr. Who, I don't think The BBC would let Merlin butcher their IP to be honest. If rumors of a £30 Million budget are true, unless they do something horribly wrong, this investment is going to be on a whole new level for Merlin. Remember, a lot of the budgets you see at Universal and Disney are spent on actual detailed buildings, not just facades in a warehouse, like we'll be getting here, and money spent on groundworks would be minimal compared to The Swarm and Saw.

Personally I'm far more interested in finding out who the ride manufacturer is and what type of ride we're getting though to be honest.

It is highly likely that the ride will contain screens with the mix of some physical stuff. The budget just doesn't allow for all out real theming. 

Wallace and Gromit's Thrill O' Matic cost BPB £5 million and is very well themed - I'm sure Thorpe's dark ride will have a bigger budget than this so of course the budget allows for theming!

Wallace and Gromit's Thrill O' Matic cost BPB £5 million and is very well themed - I'm sure Thorpe's dark ride will have a bigger budget than this so of course the budget allows for theming!

yeah but that ride although it's okay, certainly didn't feel like it was worth £5million! lot's of empty spaces and black sections, plus it already reused an old ride... £4.9million of that must have been on the IP haha!

I'm just praying that the budget is used wisely for thorpes new ride as I'm not exactly excited for it, glad to hear others want this, but lets just hope we're not all disappointed at the end of it.

yeah but that ride although it's okay, certainly didn't feel like it was worth £5million! lot's of empty spaces and black sections, plus it already reused an old ride... £4.9million of that must have been on the IP haha!

I'm just praying that the budget is used wisely for thorpes new ride as I'm not exactly excited for it, glad to hear others want this, but lets just hope we're not all disappointed at the end of it.

Nope the IP actually helped BPB with the ride, barely any of the money went to that.  Whilst there are some dark sections, the theming there is of a high quality with lots of small touches and moving figures, plus a brand new ride system (albeit following almost exactly the same layout as Goldmine did) so I think that it was worth the big investment.  Plus, it is very popular with families.

The budget just doesn't allow for all out real theming. 

What does this even mean? We don't know the budget, ride themeing by its nature is never ever 'real', physical themeing is often god awful anyway unless terribly expensive anamatronics, effects and lighting are used, screen based rides are some of the most expensive ever made. You make no sense.

I'm going to presume people with a problem with screens in dark rides haven't been on the likes of TAO Spiderman because, done properly, rides like that are mind bendingly amazing.

Also, budget comparisons to the likes of Ratatouille don't really stack up. The huge detailed facades, the restaurant, the insanely expensive groundbreaking ride system. That's not what we're ever going to be getting, which should mean a lot more cash percentage wise on the ride itself.

I just thought, if this is costing a third of what Ratatouille cost at DLP, this might not be as spectacular as I'd hoped. The one at DLP has a great ride system but is mostly just huge screens as theming, plus they didn't have to pay for an IP. So if this new ride at Thorpe Park has an IP, surely they'd have to pay for that, which would take a chunk out of an already small(ish) budget for a dark ride?

Ratatouille cost a LOT more than £60 million, mainly as they got Pixar to do completely unique animation, and there's a lot more going on than the POVs give away...

This dark ride will never be as good...

As for the IP issue, why do we need an IP just to be marketable, rather than creating a good attraction that markets itself through word of mouth? Don't think Phantasialand found a lack of IP an issue when marketing Maus au Chocolat... Indeed, the obsession of being easily marketable is more limiting and sounds where Merlin's flaws lie...

^ Not sure why I put a third, it cost a lot more than that haha, 260 US dollars if I remember.

I never said this ride needed an IP, that wasn't a point I was making in any way. I just assumed it would have an IP given all the rumours that are flying about. However if this ride does have an IP, my point definitely still stands.

We all know that the budget for this ride will be no more than a few million over the largest investment by merlin. It will probably be around the £30m mark, it would be very surprising to see it more than this amount and that would most likely, knowing merlin, include everything. Now when I said real theming, of course I was referring to anamatroincs , it would be a very boring ride to have room after room of stationary objects made of plaster. Therefore to have the sort of dark ride which they are calling a high investment I would expect screens, not necessarily animation. If it is an IP then it would expect it be made by filming actors, especially if its doctor who. 

Thorpe have decided to go down the dark ride route which is fine and I look forward to seeing what comes of it, however to say that it wouldn't have screens when we are in a world dominated by them sounds crazy to me. Why spend money on up keep to falling apart physical structures when you can film/animate something and keep it in that condition forever. 

^ Not sure why I put a third, it cost a lot more than that haha, 260 US dollars if I remember.

I never said this ride needed an IP, that wasn't a point I was making in any way. I just assumed it would have an IP given all the rumours that are flying about. However if this ride does have an IP, my point definitely still stands.

I was talking generally, since I'm on the phone picking apart specific posts is more difficult...

Simple point is, Merlin's obsession over easy marketing to preventing real creativity to take place and forgetting that it's meant to be escapism... If other parks can feel that they don't need an IP, then surely a company like Merlin with a massive design team can do anything to give a ride not only marketability, but creativity...

But rides like Saw and The Smiler aren't about escapism, and they've gone down pretty damn well.

I get you're point, but Nemesis Sub Terra is the only proper "dark ride" we've seen from Merlin recently, so we don't know what they'll do yet considering we have no rides of the sort to compare it to. So saying that they can't do escapism, while true, doesn't cover their dark ride efforts since we haven't seen one from them except N:ST.

Actually, N:ST is really fun, creative and is actually fairly immersive. Sub Terra doesn't have an IP attached to it, only an in-house "brand".

But rides like Saw and The Smiler aren't about escapism, and they've gone down pretty damn well.

I get you're point, but Nemesis Sub Terra is the only proper "dark ride" we've seen from Merlin recently, so we don't know what they'll do yet considering we have no rides of the sort to compare it to.

Saw the ride has a 'dark ride' element which although short features effects, animatronics and the like. These are of ok, but not remarkable standard theming wise. Shame they aren't working well these days.

^ Saw isn't advertised as a dark ride though, it just has a drop with some static blades! Plus I wouldn't say the Saw brands allows much creativity considering how dull and gory the franchise is! 

As much as I hate Doctor Who, if it did happen to end up in Thorpe, it would allow so much more creativity in terms of imagery that people could relate to and get excited over. And that leads me back to my first point, which was if Thorpe Park's new ride carried an IP, it might be expensive and take such a huge portion of the budget that money on the actual ride technology would be more limited than it's already (rumoured) small budget.

Dark rides generally cost more than coasters when done right. I know rides like Thor's Hammer are great, immersive and cheap (for a dark ride), but I just can't see vast amounts of the public engaging with it. So even though I hate that Merlin use IPs (tacky IPs) a little much, I can see where they're coming from.

LC How can you be so negative about something that doesn't even exist yet?!

You have no idea what the budget is, you have no idea what the ride system is, you have no idea if it will use screens or props or both

We don't know these things either but the flat out 'This will be rubbish' attitude just needs to fester somewhere else in your life than Thorpe Park Mania