'I'm a Celebrity' Attraction - 2015

JoshC.

As much as I'm looking forward to it, and I'm sure it will be a very good experience, I can't help but think of how bad a decision this was for Thorpe Park to make.

Yes this attraction does appear to have amazing theming, on both the inside and the outside; and putting the fact that it's an IP aside, I feel that this attraction could potentially be one of the worst last-minute decisions Thorpe Park have made. I'm not going to completely slash it until I've experienced it, as by the looks of things it looks really good so far, however I think its worth looking at the evidence as to why this could be a bad move for the park:

It all comes down to one single point really: Queues, Queues, Queues. Thorpe park made the decision last year that they wanted to be the world's first "Queue less" theme park, however this completely contradicts the whole system of RNR. The purpose of RNR is to be able to do something else while riding the coasters, however this will completely prevent that due to low throughput. We don't know much about this yet, however considering its a "maze", it's likely to have a low throughput. Along with fastrack, priority passes and potentially RNR in play this attraction is bound to reach the 4-5hour+ mark in its opening few months. I'm guessing it's not going to have anymore than around 600-800pph max, so queues are likely to get extremely long after opening.

Fright Nights is also returning this year; and with this and the dark ride taking up two current maze spots, the park operating with up to 2 less mazes will be awful. The queues and amount of fastrack were hideous last year, so I imagine it will be even worse this year with less horror experiences. If Thorpe park try and advertise it as a "Halloween" maze with changes later in the year, it's once again going to become the worst queuing nightmare in Thorpe Park history.

I have a feeling this attraction is going to be good once inside, however on the outside it's going to be nothing but queuing hell. 

For something I absolutely hated to start off with it actually really well themed so far.

Dare I say I could be the best new (merlin) attraction for 2015?

Whilst this is probably the case, that shows how awful this year is being for the UK park industry when this is the best thing the top park owners can come up with...

Yay for theming, nay for an IP.

It does seem that Thorpe are putting an effort into the aesthetics and general immersion of this attraction, but it's disappointing that they have almost limited themselves and haven't came up with an original idea that they're often more than capable of executing. Again, I can't help but think that the dip in numbers that The Swarm apparently caused/didn't help has put the park off of doing their own thing for the forseeable future.

The ride looks great because it was outsourced to an external theming company and had an adequate budget spent, rather than done in house by M Studios as usual.

I think it's Scurvydog productions (or something like it) that are creating the thrming elements for this attraction.

They've also done additions at the other parks too (maybe not towers) and everything so far looks very nice to say the least.

Hi everyone, I am mostly a lurker, but do come out the shadows every now and again!

Everyone seems to have missed something here, as people have mentioned there is not much apart from Jungle that connects IAC to Nemesis Inferno. However as they have some space for another ride on SWARM island (if I remember the islands and future development plans correctly), would that not have been a better place to put it?

They then could have really tied it in with The SWARM. It could have been a great maze experience, the concept of swarms of different bugs taking over the island, and they are what has caused the destruction. Imagine having dim lighting with what is essentially an invisible glass tunnel (like the sea life centres walk through!) with swarms of bees flying around whilst the sound system plays loud buzzing sounds, really make people think they are in the same room as them all. They could have a glass floor in one room with cockroaches under it (probably just caught from the food outlets there ;-) ) , there could be countless bugs which led to the destruction of the island, and they have now taken it over. Imagine running from them through the maze and then getting caught up in them and being carried through the air on them in SWARM.

Anyway, I think you get me point; it really could have tied nicely into the destruction of Swarm Island by a swarm of insects.

It all comes down to one single point really: Queues, Queues, Queues. Thorpe park made the decision last year that they wanted to be the world's first "Queue less" theme park, however this completely contradicts the whole system of RNR. The purpose of RNR is to be able to do something else while riding the coasters, however this will completely prevent that due to low throughput. We don't know much about this yet, however considering its a "maze", it's likely to have a low throughput. Along with fastrack, priority passes and potentially RNR in play this attraction is bound to reach the 4-5hour+ mark in its opening few months. I'm guessing it's not going to have anymore than around 600-800pph max, so queues are likely to get extremely long after opening.

It's an interesting one really.  It feels like a bit of deja vu has come around, as many people had the same concerns (long queues) about Saw Alive when that was opening!  However, I think those concerns could wind up as unfounded.  Why?  Because of a different concern.  We've seen time and time again that 'mazes' aren't popular in a theme park scenario outside of Halloween.  Saw Alive's popularity declined quickly.  Sanctuary was open at Alton Towers for the first couple of months of 2013, and wasn't popular, despite being free.  Krake Lebt at Heide Park wasn't all that popular from what I heard (though lasted a bit longer than Saw Alive).  I think Freakshow 3D opened up in Summer 2005 before it was replaced by Hellgate too, and that wasn't that popular either.  You get my point - mazes just don't have the same draw in themes park outside of Halloween.

I'm hoping this is different though, given that it doesn't sound like it's going to be a scare maze, and more something like Thorpe's own version of Dungeons / an actor-led Hocus Pocus Hall.  I guess only time will tell.  But there's definitely that fear that it could be too popular, and have rather long queues during the busy season (though I'd personally be surprised if it hits anything above 2 hours!).

RnR is a very good point though.  During the standard season, this is the sort of attraction that Thorpe should have to give people something to do whilst waiting for their rides.  But it could just end up being another attraction and reaching down to the age old point of "What can you do whilst waiting for your RnR slot?  Queue!".  

Of course, we have no clue what the throughput of this will be.  I'd expect 600-800 is realistic, but hey, we can hope until we find out! :P

Fright Nights is also returning this year; and with this and the dark ride taking up two current maze spots, the park operating with up to 2 less mazes will be awful. The queues and amount of fastrack were hideous last year, so I imagine it will be even worse this year with less horror experiences. If Thorpe park try and advertise it as a "Halloween" maze with changes later in the year, it's once again going to become the worst queuing nightmare in Thorpe Park history.

My Bloody Valentine is definitely returning this year for Fright Nights (to my understanding, the park are locked into a three year contract with all the Lionsgate films).  Where it will return is anyone's guess though!  So, technically, we'll have the same number of mazes as last year at the very least.  We would all hope that at least one other Fright Nights attraction will come about somewhere, even if it's not Studio 13.  Whether they would want to bite the bullet and use the marquee, or go back to tents on the beach, though, is unknown at the moment.  Fingers crossed!

Hi everyone, I am mostly a lurker, but do come out the shadows every now and again!

Everyone seems to have missed something here, as people have mentioned there is not much apart from Jungle that connects IAC to Nemesis Inferno. However as they have some space for another ride on SWARM island (if I remember the islands and future development plans correctly), would that not have been a better place to put it?

Hey there; welcome!

The Swarm island wasn't marked to have any more attractions on it (that was the island next to it), though there was a "themed experience" marked as nearby; I think the marquee.  I don't really think that area would have worked though - the only suitable place would have been putting it in the marquee (since it's a lot easier to put the attraction in an already made building), but since that's used for other events during the year, it doesn't seem practical.  

I think the concept without the IP near Swarm would have been a nice idea.  But with the IP, and given the constraints, I don't think the location is all that bad! :)

I doubt the park will be 2 mazes down this fright nights - MBV was stated to be on Swarms island last year, that wasn't a typo I've no doubt they will have plans to house a maze there, as for studio 13 they could just give that a fright night twist maybe?

Nemesis Sub Terra is dying on its knees.

Saw Alive failed.

Krake Lebt failed.

Will this be different is the question?

Only the end of Sub Terra is comparable, whilst with this it's not so much a maze as such, but there are activities throughout. I'd say it's more of a show/attraction rather than a maze because you're not being scared through jump actors as such, it's meant to be light hearted. It's very different to those listed to be honest.

Maybe different in guest experience but it is exactly the same in terms of operation and how the ride is managed..

Sub Terra was a dysfunctional mess according to the people I've talked to who were subcontracted by Merlin Studios. And now it relies so much on extra staffing/actors to cover the initial design flaws (cop outs) that it's very impractical to operate.

I'm very surprised they have chosen to do another complex walk through attraction like this where presumably it has a number of different scenes. That format is difficult to last so let's hope they've got it right this time