X

Garyy

12 hours ago, PJ. said:

They should please the retro fans and rebrand this as Space Station Zero

Of all the rides they could rebrand to what they were before, Space Station Zero should be low on their list. It wasn't as particularly well known or popular ride anyway, and Merlin won't even bother making older rides better anymore (just look at Bubbleworks and loggers).

p.s SSZ wasn't a previous incarnation of X.

It's currently the Flying Fish.

Just now, Whatever said:

Of all the rides they could rebrand to what they were before, Space Station Zero should be low on their list. It wasn't as particularly well known or popular ride anyway, and Merlin won't even bother making older rides better anymore (just look at Bubbleworks and loggers).

p.s SSZ wasn't a previous incarnation of X.

It's currently the Flying Fish.

They made X no Way out better though!

I also cant believe I didn't recognise that spinning tunnel in cabin in the woods being from the queue in X! I haven't been on it in several years, has it gotten slower then? I'll aim to go on it again when I go in a few weeks time but its never top of my priorities to be honest. it's theme seems a bit random, I don't see how it links to what Its around, kind of like Cyberdog the ride lol. With a retheme could be a lot better

9 minutes ago, jessica2 said:

I also cant believe I didn't recognise that spinning tunnel in cabin in the woods being from the queue in X! I haven't been on it in several years, has it gotten slower then? I'll aim to go on it again when I go in a few weeks time but its never top of my priorities to be honest. it's theme seems a bit random, I don't see how it links to what Its around, kind of like Cyberdog the ride lol. With a retheme could be a lot better

It's handy if it rains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anybody recall an article that was rediscovered some years ago, about the ride as it was being planned in the mid 90s, which had all sorts of information on it about the original concept? About how guests were expected to spend 15 minutes inside the building experiencing each scene? I'd love to find it again. It was so similar to how Derren Brown was billed in its planning stages.

On 26/09/2016 at 9:22 PM, Whatever said:

It wasn't as particularly well known or popular ride anyway

Space Station Zero was very well known and very popular back in the day, when it was the park's most thrilling ride, lots of cool effects. Bear in mind Thorpe Park was a small family park at the time and big rollercoasters like what populate the park now didn't really exist in most European countries.

X No Way Out's queue rooms weren't removed for any health and safety reasons and the building was legally built to the high fire/evac specifications of the day. It was shut because the ride was unpopular and a failure, relying on its "world first" "psychological" "innovative" & "revolutionary" tropes which were in fact very overhyped and under budgeted (as always happens in the UK to this day, no one really believes that a theme park ride is "the future" but they always promote them that way). As effects began to break they were just never fixed, leaving the ride empty and pointless, so the rooms were just closed off and by 2005 the ride was pretty awful and nonsensical.

The building has been modified a number of times and the way it is staffed now it just wouldnt be practical to have the whole queueline indoors, as has been pointed out. However there's no law about this. They could if they wanted, but its not worth it when the building was designed for a completely different layout and operational format to the way its being used now.

Imagine if Derren Brown had no staff ushering you through, had no effects working in its live scenes anymore, etc, and whole areas were just shut off and it was run like a bog standard ride. That's exactly what happened to X No Way Out.

57 minutes ago, Archive said:

Does anybody recall an article that was rediscovered some years ago, about the ride as it was being planned in the mid 90s, which had all sorts of information on it about the original concept? About how guests were expected to spend 15 minutes inside the building experiencing each scene? I'd love to find it again. It was so similar to how Derren Brown was billed in its planning stages.

Perhaps this? http://www.memoriesofthorpepark.co.uk/xnowayout.html

No it was an actual article from 1995 before the ride opened that had been archived on a website somewhere, but I think it's disappeared now. It was from before the ride was named as "X No Way Out" interestingly and was very different to how it turned out (before the budget was cut!)

28 minutes ago, Archive said:

No it was an actual article from 1995 before the ride opened that had been archived on a website somewhere, but I think it's disappeared now. It was from before the ride was named as "X No Way Out" interestingly and was very different to how it turned out (before the budget was cut!)

okay, sorry that's not it.

• 4 months later...
51 minutes ago, paige said:

Currently queuing for X, I feel like I'm back in one of my primary school's discos omg tracks plate have included and aren't limited to:

-toxic 

-a fight for this love remix

-disco (dizzee rascal did this one) 

I'm not mad, just confused 

They should all be House remixes, is this the case or are they playing the originals?