Nemesis

Dan9

Nemesis isn't smooth but it certainly isn't rough and for a ride almost 20 years old, it still runs reasonably smooth. There are rougher rides out there (much rougher) cough 'SLC' cough and I'd like to see how smooth Smiler is when it's 20 years old ;).

In terms of a technical fault with the ride, I can only see lift hill or braking problems being the cause unless they're doing some structural repairs which I doubt is happening.

nemesis seemed to be open in the morning and when I got there before midday was closed - was absolutely gutted, but just out of sheer luck decided to go back to see if it had opened right at the end of the day, and the staff were saying it's fixed, just need to run the necessary tests which take a considerable time, and they managed to get it open bang on closing time (5pm), but kept it open for at least another 20 mins... managed to get on 4 times (2 front and 2 back in that time) - actually made my day considering I was so upset it was originally closed haha.

good on alton as well for persisting to keep it open, and very odd for nemesis that it almost had a full day of downtime! (apparently due to power fault)!

• 3 months later...
so as for Nemesis' 20th birthday... alton towers have pretty much just confirmed nothing will be happening this year - but planning on celebrating her 21st birthday next year!

from facebook...

'I hope you guys plan on giving Nemesis some sort of special 20th birthday sometime this season. After all it's not everyday a roller coaster reaches that age, especially one by B&M.'

'As for Nemesis - we're planning to celebrate it's 21st Birthday next year in style!'

I think either they were planning to celebrate her 21st all along and ignore the 20th... or the time and budget is being spent fixing up the smiler for this season, and conveniently 21st birthday is a big one for humans - the later one seems more appropriate to me.

I would like to think doing so, a lot of effort would be put in to nemesis...

I feel the extended queueline before entering the station, which is now never used, just looks out of place, so should either be removed (as it's never going to be used again due to fast track), or add a lot more growth to it to make it look overgrown, to make it fit in with the theme.

I don't even think I know what the Nemesis theme tune sound like, don't ever recall it being played in the outside queueline, and being far too quiet in the station (that's what I loved about nemesis inferno in 2013, the great tune playing full blast), so would like to see it played outside or speakers added if there isn't any, and for the inside of the station to have the theme tune playing louder, without that rubbish quality shouting voices saying like nemesis, the worlds most intense ride experience (they could redo these, but as they're probably back from when it opened, the sound quality of the sound bites are awful).

The themeing on Nemesis is actually great, but could do with a little tidy up and refurb here and there... my main hate about nemesis is about the inside of the station, and the outside of the maintenance shed by the break run, with all the great themeing on the outside of the station, you go inside guessing expecting to be inside/underneath the creature, and all you get is a warehouse with some light fittings which doesn't even have lights in any more, and the corrugated outside on the maintenance shed, could at least do with some rock facade or some ivy covering it etc.

Fortunately due to theme of the ride, the paint on the track fits in perfectly and doesn't need a repaint... as long as if they keep the restraints nice every year.

Do you mean the queue line to the left of the entrance? If so, I've queued in the many times, last year I queued in it twice! If it's the queue behind the stall turn I completely agree!

yes I do mean by the turn, as ever since fast track has been in use, that part of the queue-line hasn't - you can see it's been left in neglect, but not enough to fit in with the theme, so something with that could be done.

Yeah, that queueline has always been intended to reopen, for those days when it's not quite busy enough to open the full area 2 (the queue to the left of the entrance). They've just never really gotten round to it.

The main issue is that the queueline literally goes up and then opens straight into air's ride area, they need a couple of fence panels and level out the ground to reconnect both sides. Maybe one day they'll do it, or remove it. However, removing it would cost money and they're not prepared to do that yet.

Single Rider only works when there's a dedicated queue for it, and is positioned well. That's why it was always a bit troublesome for Stealth I'd say; the position wasn't ideal, meaning it could slow down operations at times. That's why it was never a good idea for the likes of Inferno and Colossus; no where near enough space (though the positioning - due to being in the exit queue - was alright).

The only ride which I think it actually worked out alright for at Thorpe was Saw. It was a good position and there was enough space, meaning it wasn't affecting operations, and wasn't causing congestion. Given the fact the right-hand indoor queue is only used for disabled guests now, I could see SRQ still working out on Saw tbh, but I guess Thorpe got rid of the system for a reason...

[/OffTopicRamble]

How would they go about fast track if that were to happen though, as I'm presuming its the reason why its no longer in use...

The reason it's not in use is because air was built. That first drop is directly above the old queueline (next time on the ride, look to the left as leaving lifthill you'll see some bricks which just end up on grass.. that's the queue).

Fastrack will remain the same. If that entire area is full from station to merge point, it's 10mins. With the extended queue open it'd be 15mins. You'd still be queueing longer with fastrack on other rides, like air.

Here's a graphic I dun of the original route. The current route is in pink. The dashed part shows "area extension 3" which is rarely used these days because it's very far away from the station and staff cannot access it so easily. The rest of the original route in blue has been either demolished, recycled for Sub-Terra's queue or just sitting there overgrown.

NemesisQueue_zpsac6b1fc8.png

Area 3s only not used because the queue never warrants it being used! Nothing to do with staff or access, it's well easy to access from multiple points for staff.

Interestingly, very little of the original route has been demolished - sure, the fencing is missing, the rest is there, particularly in the woodland up by the carpark!

Weirdly interesting looking at old queue routes, never see this happening for Rita will you? ;)

Alright. I had heard it was very difficult to clean and manage when guests were in it, hence they chose to keep the other area extension in more frequent use instead. Obviously the queues are rarely long enough these days for both to be used at once.

The stretch of the queue that ran down the access road (leading to the monorail depot) has been demolished. You can see there used to be a bridge of some sort over the road and paths either side. That road is totally blocked off now.

Area three can't be connected individually, it has to be connected with area two, and would only be open if the queue went out the entrance which is extremely rare so yeah, not used as you say.

That access road queue you can see the remains of the posts in the concrete, if you look opposite the nemmy entrance you see a bin and the queueline, followed by a gate onto that path. The road itself was used as a queueline, rather than an access road at the time.

Area three can't be connected individually, it has to be connected with area two

Yes, but that wasn't always the case. The unused path going up around the stall turn used to lead into area three, making it the last leg of the queueing journey. I have no idea when all the old fencing was removed and the route altered.

I would have kept that section in use and disconnected area two instead - there were some great views under the lift hill and overlooking the loop pit from the opposite side, but as has been said Fastrack and Air probably got in the way.

And according to this photo from 1994, neither area two or three even existed when the ride first opened! The graphic I used above was from 1996.

90s2.jpg

Strange how many clues are there to be found around Alton Towers. It's just a queue but must have been madly long when it opened in 1994. They could have bundled it all in a compact switchback queue in the pit, but instead sent people on a steep trek around the whole area!

Don't think space was as much an issue back then either. You don't wanna make a queueline where there could potentially be a new attraction etc. Nemmy is fine cos it's miles away, same with Air and to an extent thirteen. Shame thirteen doesn't interact with the ride but that was slightly the point of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nemesis opened to the public 20 years ago to day and since has been the staple attraction for Alton Towers and UK theme parks ever since. More then 50 million people have been on it since it's opening. Being one of the most thrilling and intense coasters ever, it always made me smile! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Nemesis!! :wub::wub: