Park Music

humjosh

I must agree with you on that, Thorpe Park have always been amazing with their theme music, but I can see both sides of the argument: The target audience like the 'normal' (not themed) music around the park, before the changed the entrance music I often heared people talking about how corny and strange the old music was! and I agree that, no matter how much I miss the old entrance theme, the new entrance music is better for the park in general. It would be a shame to have all of the rides and areas stripped of their music though, Inferno wouldn't be the same without its awesome theme blearing out of the station! And can you imagine having to listen to Jason Derulo whilst queueing for Colossus? Ouch, that would totally kill the feel of that part of the park!

I am completely against the idea of having chart music at themed attractions, although, I have to admit, when it is played on special events, it is fun, and the whole atmosphere of the queueline is just wow!I think it depends on the tone that the theme music is trying to create. With so many rides at Thorpe designed to be intimidating, having the tone shift to uplifting, chart music has a great effect on people. Some of the best queues I've been in have been Tidal's and Loggers'- both of which have a fun atmosphere created by the music and other things.I'm still not saying that I'm for having chart music, even on events, but most guests and staff seem to love it!

As much as I'd hate to say it, but if you are talking abotu Stealths DJ'ing then you are tottall misunderstanding that the original WWTP music isn't a theme. The music DID exsist way before all of yours and my time back in the 60's! Dare I say people are mistaking it for theme music and that replacing songs that the majority of there target audience wouldnt even know exsisted unless they go to their nans alot is distatourous! If so kill me now!

Anyone can see that Thorpe are moving away from area themes and tailoring for their audiences needs and tastes. Which I guess benefits the vast majority of people, as I'm sure their audience dont really care about themes. They care more about their ride experiences, and if the music that they hear is music that they enjoy, it does enhance their day.The only people who wont like this is fankids who actually care about themes and stories, but were only a small minority.

I wrote to THORPE PARK about the chart music being played within the park and in my reply that I just got back they explained that that ride music is staying for good and that it was only a trail / one off however the chart music may return at some events but is not likely. I'm very glad to hear that theme music is not going anywhere in the near future because as much as I love chart music it does not suit the rides. They also explained that the entrance will be playing chart music will remain for now but to be honest this is only place in the park I agree chart music suits IMO of course. YAY for ride theme music staying :P

Chart music was back at Stealth yesterday with a DJ, I do like it at Stealth, I just wish the DJ was connected to the area as it was before not just on the temporary speakers.

IS WWTP Radio still being played near Tidal Wave and in Amity Cove then?I think Stealth & the parks entrance are the only places within the park that actually actually suit the chart music however the rest of park is better suited to its ride themes. Overall I am glad the theme music is staying at the park for the near future :P

^^ Thats the main reason I think they could combine a tracklist (NOT todays chart list) with theme music. I believe it will give the park a new atmosphere that its desperate for. Canada is just a tracklist of country songs, Amity is a tracklist (with inserts, ads obviously) of 50's and 60's songs and you could argue that these areas have the best atmosphere's on the park. Pathways will need the theme tunes to set the feel and theme up on approach. Its not crutial that its anymore than ambient because the guest isn't static and is on a journey to wherever on park. It does have to have an impact though, like Colossus'. But the queue music in a park like Thorpe just needs to be as entertaining as possible where guests are static and bored stiff, waiting. At the end of the day, barly anyone in that queue gives a toss about setting a mood. They just want to get on the ride. They want the time to pass as quickly as possible because queues arn't very fun. Tbh, I hate the way most of the themes are geared to be intimidating. It makes the atmosphere overall dam well depressing. I think thats why Amity/CC work well. They are family friendly areas, that are not intimidating. They are kind of touge-in-cheek cheesy and have a 'feel good' factor to them. Even if the park is a thrill park, your audience is still partly family's with the intent on riding thrill rides. A family 'feel good' factor park wide would be by far better. My main concerns with music is that part on the front side of Pizza Hut. Its a dead area full of guest noise. Something needs to cover there. That old central area theme tune could work. Something tropical. I'd love Dets theme to be back to the old one where it blasted out and was awesome. It was more cheesy than a cillit bang advert, but yeah awesome! It used to fill the area nicely too. Entering Ranger Country from Amity is like a giant dead spot. The first section of Canada by the toilet is dead too.

I agree, Amity Cove and Canada Creek are some of the most cheerful places in the park, although I do feel that some areas of the park need to be intimidating and build up suspense, just to make that contrast. I do feel however that Calypso Quay could do with some great 'feel-good' caribbean themed music (such as around the area of Cariba Creek) and that would really help to bring the area alive. I often see people singing or miming along to the amity cove soundtrack as they walk through, which just seems to bring the area alive - the fact that the music interacts with guests and creates a more enjoyable experience for everyone. Like I said, I do like some of the rides to have dark, intimidating themes that build suspense (such as Colossus for example). But you're right, the majority of people standing in a 2 hour queue having to listen to the same 10 minute loop played over and over again just end up wanting to smash the speakers. I have to admit, after hearing it through twice in one go, that's enough.

That is so right, Colossus has an amazing theme tune, but after a while it does start to eat away at your soul. Last time I was there the others in my group were saying how repetitive it was, and they almost lost all hope when it was playing at Slammer's queue line as well!The Saw queue music is also very depressing when there's a long queue, It always manages to bring the mood down and prolong the agony of standing in the constantly long line, although obviously it wouldn't be right if it was lively and cheerful! :) On the other hand I could wait in a queue for Inferno for quite a while before getting fed up with the music because it's not forced upon you, the volume is at a much better level for most of the queue and the music only becomes really noticable when you reach the station where it's blearing out! :D Unlike Colossus where you're forced to listen to the same track over and over at quite a loud volume.The Amity rides and Loggers Leap tracks are amazing as they are because there's some variation, and not the same track droning on and on for the entire queue.Can't really complain about Thorpe's theme music though, they have some of the best ride themes around, and it's one of the park's stronger points.

obviously it wouldn't be right if it was lively and cheerful! :)

That's true, and it's a hard contrast to make. The music needs to be intense and intimidating in order to build up tension for the ride, which it does perfectly in a 10 minute queue. But it's often the case where the queue is looking towards 70+ minutes, by which time the music has turned from building suspense to a meaningless drone in the background. It's a shame different parts of the queue line don't play different loops (different dialogue etc) and create a story as you move through the queue line building up to the ride, which in my view, would be so much more effective.

• 3 weeks later...